Chapala.com Webboard

Diatomaceous earth

Does anyone know of a place Lakeside to buy Diatomaceous earth in small quanity. The Garden Center in Riberas has very large bags of it. Someone posted that they used it to control small cockroaches coming up their kitchen sink and I would like to try it.  

Thanks I will check out Vida Verde. Looking at google maps I see Vida Verde in Riberas east of the San Antonio hospital but not on Juarez in Chapala.

18 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

There is a little garden store on the lake side across from the rock provider place on the mountain side. Wish I could give a better location. 

Thanks but I don't know where the rock provider place is. Which town or street?

The one close to the "rock provider" place in San Antonio Tlayacapan on the north side of the highway is called Vida Verde. Vida Verde is in the same strip with the Container Restaurant and Escalera Auto Repair.

Another option for creating an environment that cockroaches don't like is a sprinkle of Bay Leaves (aka Laurel). You probably have some in your kitchen cupboard. 

I have strainers in all my sinks. They look like small white plastic hats. Right side up in bathroom sinks and upside down in kitchen. Can be purchased in Walmart, 2 or 3 to a package. 

27 minutes ago, sunnyvmx said:

I have strainers in all my sinks. They look like small white plastic hats. Right side up in bathroom sinks and upside down in kitchen. Can be purchased in Walmart, 2 or 3 to a package. 

Interesting. Where abouts in Walmart. What are they called?

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I have a box of the kind that is used in filters.  If that will work you can have some for nada.

PM me.

Thanks for the offer

20 hours ago, sunnyvmx said:

In the section of bathroom accessories. Where you would find the flat rubber covers for the shower drain. 

Thanks. I would never have thought of looking there. 

8 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

That doesn't look like it would keep a cockroach out. They can fit in very narrow spaces.

I concur. The strainers I have are stainless steel with fine mesh like window screen. A flea would probably not even be able to get through it. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 6:31 PM, dichosalocura said:

Try the Vida Verde store.  I think they can sell you what you want.  I'm not hundred percent sure but I think I remember them doing just that in their Chapala location on Júarez Street a block below the plaza.

Also in much too large a quantity at Vida Verde

On 5/5/2021 at 6:30 AM, sunnyvmx said:

14 hours ago, sunnyvmx said:

20210505_211921.thumb.jpg.3a83b20db86310be258629381fad200a.jpgI believe there are 3 in a small pkg. hanging on the wall across from the toilet seats. 

I saw them there but the holes look too large.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:30 AM, sunnyvmx said:

I bought some of those. I don't think they will work in my sink but I will try them. You have to keep taking them out and putting them back in instead of using the regualr sink strainers.

On 5/4/2021 at 7:29 PM, Ferret said:

The one close to the "rock provider" place in San Antonio Tlayacapan on the north side of the highway is called Vida Verde. Vida Verde is in the same strip with the Container Restaurant and Escalera Auto Repair.

Another option for creating an environment that cockroaches don't like is a sprinkle of Bay Leaves (aka Laurel). You probably have some in your kitchen cupboard. 

The lady at Jara hardware said just use Cynoff. It comes in much smaller packages than Diatomaceous earth

Cynoff is a strong poison meant to be mixed with water and sprayed.  If you are going to use it as powder be absolutely certain no animals can come in contact with it.  DE has no toxic properties for pets unless they ate a bunch of it and I doubt they would.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1