Chapala.com Webboard

Unlike Toyota and Nissan, Honda doesn't actually make a true 4X4 vehicle. Might you be looking for an all-wheel drive (AWD) vehicle instead of a 'real' 4X4?

An AWD vehicle is not necessarily going to be any different than a 2WD of the same make with respect to 'surviving cobblestones' as generally their suspension are very similar.

This is probably not the place to go into a discussion of how today's vehicles are built, but if you are really looking to get something to combat cobblestones for the long haul you should look for something larger rather than smaller....with larger wheels... or a real 4WD vehicle. For example a Toyota Tacoma truck.... their mid-size offering.... comes to mind right away as it can be comfortable to drive on good roads but with a suspension designed for rougher roads. AND it does NOT have to be a 4WD Tacoma to achieve your criteria... and probably shouldn't.

Some of us actually need a 4 wheel or all wheel drive to make it home during the rainy season.  Yes, I live at the top of a steep hill in Ajijic and during heavy rain, one can not make it up one section of the steepest part of the hill leading to my house unless they have 4 wheel drive. So, I need a 4 wheel drive.

I never thought a 4 wheel drive vehicle would make a difference driving over, even the bumpiest cobblestones.  What is most important over bumpy roads is the lift or sufficient space between the road and solid parts of the vehicle being held up above the road by the tires.

In that case your original Post has you started in the right direction.... either a Toyota or Honda or Nissan product gives you the best chance of getting a vehicle that is 'built better'. Lately maybe even a Hyundai.

But unfortunately NOTHING is going to survive cobblestone streets forever.  When you find a possible buy, before you buy it take it to a reputable mechanic and have him check the suspension to see how it stands 'at the moment'.... is it going to need some major parts replacement right away or are things in pretty good shape?  

BTW, cobblestones can and will eat up any tire... especially front... so watch them too, take care of them by rotating more often than not. 

My suggestion would be:  Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V or Nissan Rogue.