Chapala.com Webboard

Rules Now on Posting a Rental

I own a house to either rent or sell, but it's in Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, not lakeside. What is the policy regarding posting an ad like this in 2021?

Is there another part of the Chapala.com webboard where I can post this, even if requires paying for the ad? I have no issue with that.

Secondly, outside of going through the realtors on this site, am I permitted to ask about an apartment or house that someone has for rent in the Ajijic area? I won't say or ask much here as I don't what the policy is.

Thanks! Hope message isn't blocked. It isn't an ad! I just need info. 

Michel

In the past people have posted beach rentals here.  I would think you could post an out of town rental in the classified section of this board, not in this section. 

Air BnB gets great results I am told.

However no for sale listings, please.

1 minute ago, moderator-2 said:

Air BnB gets great results I am told.

If he wants to rent it out full time to someone, with a lease, a security deposit, etc. Airbnb isn't for that. Being an Airbnb host for short term rentals is a job and requires a lot of work. 

Yes I would not use Airbnb nor do I trust them. They take 0 responsibility for what happens to your house. I have read horror stories in the English press about renters' nightmare scenarios using them. 

I understand that short term rentals could be problematic. There are so many details that I'd have to work out first. Is there no section of Chapala.com where you can list a house for sale, even it means paying for the ad? Thanks. 

31 minutes ago, bostonfrog2012 said:

Is there no section of Chapala.com where you can list a house for sale, even it means paying for the ad? Thanks. 

Chapala.com is owned by the same company that publishes the Ojo del Lago, a free monthly magazine that sells ads for house sales, either FSBO or from real estate companies.  In fact it has more real estate ads than most anything else. 

Contact them for assistance in placing an ad.  https://www.chapala.com/elojo/

The weekly paper, The Guadalajara Reporter also sells ads for house sales.  http://www.theguadalajarareporter.net 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bostonfrog2012 said:

Yes I would not use Airbnb nor do I trust them. They take 0 responsibility for what happens to your house. I have read horror stories in the English press about renters' nightmare scenarios using them. 

I understand that short term rentals could be problematic. There are so many details that I'd have to work out first. Is there no section of Chapala.com where you can list a house for sale, even it means paying for the ad? Thanks. 

Airbnb is a booking and money collecting agency. They are no more responsible for a renters behavior than for example  ...Expedia or Hotels.com. They do hundreds of thousands of bookings every month with out problems. 

I have 2 houses that I rent using airbnb and another booking agent,  and have never had a problem in years.  

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

I have 2 houses that I rent using airbnb and another booking agent,  and have never had a problem in years.

I've never had any problems either. But I just list a private room/private bath and guests share my kitchen.

Most hosts don't have horror show scenarios, but when they do, the problem with Airbnb is that their so-called security deposit is bogus. They don't actually charge guests a security deposit- hosts have to first ask the guest to pay for the damages, which horror guests refuse to do, then try to get Airbnb to cover the damage, whuch is apoarently like pulling teeth and they love to characterize damages as "normal wear and tear" when it is anything but.

Of course hosts don't generally post online just to say they have had zero issues with guests- they post when they have some problem, so it appears that is the norm, which it isn't.

If you get good guests through Airbnb, it's a good listing platform, it's when hosts get bad guests that the platform sucks, as they pander to guests, and are not supportive of hosts. And their customer service reps are outsourced and abyssmal, so as long as you never have to call them, you're lucky.