Chapala.com Webboard

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

4 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Perhaps a little late for you, but getting the most expensive NON-DIGITAL gauge is a better bet. Then you go to the gas station, check your inflation with their gauge, and check it with your gauge to see how well it's calibrated. 1 or 2 psi off base won't make any difference as long as you know it whenever you check your pressure. I use the same method for checking thermometers at the store, sort of. Grab a handful and see which ones all read the same.

Yes to a mechanical gauge. Mine is still functioning accurately after 40 years and I  posted a foto of one like it in this thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system
“A TPMS reports real-time tire-pressure information to the driver of the vehicle…”

It’s a safety feature. It gives INSTANT alerts that “frequent checking” can not accomplish, when something happens during driving.

On the other hand, its purpose is NOT replacing “frequent checking” of tires.

• Thanks 1

After reading these post I went out and bought a tire guage. I had assumed that  my tire monitoring system was all I needed.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, FlyFree said:

What type of tire gauge, and where did you buy it?

Dual head tire guage from Auto Zone.

Have your tires filled with Nitrogen as it tends to stay in tire longer than air if long lack of leaking is your goal. It also stops rot on the inside of tires as it gets rid of the oxygen. Go google it.  I have never had a blowout with normal air but I do kick the tires with my foot before I go out.  I am sure someone will violently disagree with me LOL.  Ever see a trucker hit his tires with a bat or a stick?  Much faster than checking air pressure.  I have only owned one car with this system and it failed and recorded low air when it was fine.  No thanks.

4 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Nitrogen for tires is one of the biggest ripoffs car dealers use to add $ to a customer's deal. Try YouTube and see.

Not at all, they give you green valve caps ( at costco anyway ) ! Which then get stolen lol