Chapala.com Webboard

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

58 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

The whole system??      Or one of the receivers, or one of the wheel sending units? 

Year and make of vehicle?

Maybe a description of the problem/symptoms would help to get a suggestion as to who can help.

It's a Volkswagen Tiguan Track & Fun 2012. The tire pressure in all 4 tires has been checked but the mechanism says that it's unable to store the tire pressure. I will need the workshop to diagnose what needs to be done. I Googled the problem and the answer was that the tire pressure monitoring system needs to be replaced. There is a battery in the unit but as the battery is part of the unit it cannot be replaced separately.

If the above link fails to fix the problem....

Generally.... there is a 'hand held' device that can check each tire's sensor. If/when all tires pass that test the 'device' can tell the main contoller to recheck/reset the system. This is done by plugging the 'device' into the OBD-II connector under the dash. 

It is 'possible' that either AutoZone or ORMA would have this device and might could check it for you.  Otherwise it might mean a trip to a VW dealer in Guad OR a reputable tire shop there. For example my Discount Tire store in the US has such a device and has 'reset' my TPMS light for me before. If at least one of the wheel's unit shows a dead battery, that tire must be 'broken down' and a new TPMS device installed... something 'my' tire store can do but not sure about in Guadalajara. VW could surely do this.

P.S.  In "some" vehicles the spare tire also has a TPMS sensor installed. If it is bad and is not checked along with the 4 wheels on the ground one is likely to not find a fix. 

I can see why a vehicle owner would want the full safety package working. But I can also see how costly and difficult it will most likely be to repair, probably requiring you to order parts online for your electrical technician to install. Which leaves me just checking the tires visually or at the pumps every now and then.

My sentiments exactly.  But some folks NEVER check the air in their tires until someone says to them 'hey, your rear tire is about flat!'.  My wife fits in with that crowd quite nicely.....

The TPMS in my vehicle shows the pressure in each individual tire. If one tire suddenly starts to loose pressure it alerts me with a chime and flashing symbol of the tire with the problem and it's pressure.  Driving down the highway at 100kmph that alert could make the difference between a tire change or a disaster.  

I'm trying to see how, really. You are either going to have a blowout, in which case a TPMS makes no difference, or you will notice a difference in the drive from a small puncture or slow leak. I say this having never used an automated system and having done a lot of long-distance driving. Nice to have, sure, but that's all IMO.

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

The TPMS will alert you to a slow leak. It’s not designed to alert you to a blowout and never will.. The crash will alert you far quicker than the TPMS system.

Quite obviously. As I posted "a blowout, in which case a TPMS makes no difference".

2 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

I'm trying to see how, really. You are either going to have a blowout, in which case a TPMS makes no difference, or you will notice a difference in the drive from a small puncture or slow leak. I say this having never used an automated system and having done a lot of long-distance driving. Nice to have, sure, but that's all IMO.

Many blowouts are caused by a tire with a slow leak that  lowers pressure thus causing the sidewalls to flex too much, heat up, and the fail or blow out.  A TPMS will alert you of the pressure loss before you would get to the blow out stage. I guarantee it will know of the slow leak lowering the pressure in an individual tire before you would at 100kmh. TPMS have been mandated by federal law in new vehicles in the USA since 2008. 

34 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

The TPMS was mandated to as a fuel saving measure .  If the tires are at the correct pressure the rolling resistance is less therefore saving fuel.

Where is fuel saving mentioned in the TREAD act?

The Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following tire tread-separation), pushed the United States Congress to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events.

Among other mandates, the TREAD Act requires that a system to warn the driver about underinflated tires be included in vehicles sold in the U.S. As of September 1, 2007, that warning system, or tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), had to be placed in 100% of all passenger cars and light trucks (under 10,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight). Automakers, and their suppliers, must also notify the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of all accidents involving alleged defects.

Monitoring of tire pressure in all four tires (but not the spare tire)

A TPMS system that operates when the vehicle ignition is on and warns the driver when tires are underinflated by 25% or more

A TPMS system that alerts the driver when there is a system malfunction

A TPMS warning light that stays on until the tire is inflated to the proper pressure or the system malfunction is corrected

A "bulb check" of the warning light on the instrument panel that occurs whenever the ignition is turned on

Vehicle owner's manuals that contain warnings about potentially incompatible replacement tires for the vehicle.