Chapala.com Webboard

Professional Painter SOUGHT

We have also used Alejandro but have no idea where he is now.

We recently had the house painted and used Hector Sanchez. He is by far the best we have had in many years.

His number is 33 3245 5588. He is meticulous and great on siltra.

7 hours ago, Floradude said:

Over the years I have used "El Chino" Ajijic y hijos.

Ruben Chavarria  766 2377, 331 150 9031   Chino speaks English

If you are looking for quality, and not cheap I recommend them.

I used thrm for years also but I was told on this board that Chino and family had fled this area. Since them I have found better painters. The Villalobos brothers from San Juan Cosala  333 9572 196

1 hour ago, AndyPanda said:

Yes to providing the proper spelling, etc. But I challenge anyone to find a painter or handyman who hasn't heard that word mangled a million times already and knows exactly what it means, lol.

including "you know, that white fuzzy stuff on the walls"

• Haha 1

We had an extensive paint and salitre job done this last winter.  He was excellent.  Punctual, good english, middle of the road in pricing, and explains what he is doing.  He says he has a secret formula for stopping the salitre from returning.  He explained it to me but I would let him explain it himself if you are interested.  His name is Chuy Lopez  333-137-1056.  He has also done a number of other repairs around the house and has always proven to know what he is doing.  If he doesn't know he will tell you, something that I appreciate.

58 minutes ago, Bokko said:

He says he has a secret formula for stopping the salitre from returning.

I can guarantee you that you won't know that until more time goes by. You say you had it done this last winter. That's not nearly long enough to assume that it won't return, though I hope in your case it proves to be true.

The fact is, you can't get rid of it forever until you eliminate the source of the moisture that caused it in the first place.

I've known quite a few people whose painters assured them they had a fool-proof way of dealing with the salitre, and in every case it came back and had to be dealt with again.

YMMV.

3 hours ago, mudgirl said:

A painter won't know what you are are talking about if you call it this. The word is salitre.  Pronounced sal-ee-tray.

A misspelling of a word is not an issue when you are talking to someone. I am sure, the the poster who misspelled the word knows how to pronounce it. Furthermore, the painter, Hector Sanchez, that he recommended is by far the best I have used as well. And, Hector has great command of the English language and would know what was being talked about if sal ee tray was pronounced incorrectly. But I am sure most on this board appreciate your spelling lesson of the day.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rainbird said:

I am sure, the the poster who misspelled the word knows how to pronounce it.

You are sure based upon what? That is not my experience. It's the exact opposite. People usually spell words they are unfamiliar with exactly the way they pronounce them, because they get the pronunciation wrong.

I was trying to help the OP so he would easily be able to talk about the problem to painters. Too bad that offended you. I have a hard time understanding people who are resistant to having spelling or pronunciation errors pointed out. All I can think is that they are really insecure. Personally, I appreciate it when I am corrected, as I would prefer to speak and write correctly.

Some Mexicans are good at figuring out what gringoes are trying to say, but many just look at you uncomprehendingly if you pronounce something even slightly wrong.

• Sad 1

I was told on this board that Chino and family had fled this area.

Cedros, do you have information on why he fled?  I hope the family is ok.

He has painted the outside of my house, the entire inside, redid some of the outer walls and painted them.  He has also done the roof several times.  Over the years I became close to Chino and his sons.  The last time he did my roof was in February 2019.  I have recommended him to several friends and they have always been very happy with his work.  

11 minutes ago, Floradude said:

I was told on this board that Chino and family had fled this area.

Cedros, do you have information on why he fled?  I hope the family is ok.

He has painted the outside of my house, the entire inside, redid some of the outer walls and painted them.  He has also done the roof several times.  Over the years I became close to Chino and his sons.  The last time he did my roof was in February 2019.  I have recommended him to several friends and they have always been very happy with his work.  

I was told in a PM he fled to an unknown location after his younest son (Julio) was shot and killed. He and his 3 sons did nice work for me for about 6 years-not just painting. His oldest son (Merced-Michie) did very nice tiling.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

You are sure based upon what? That is not my experience. It's the exact opposite. People usually spell words they are unfamiliar with exactly the way they pronounce them, because they get the pronunciation wrong.

I was trying to help the OP so he would easily be able to talk about the problem to painters. Too bad that offended you. I have a hard time understanding people who are resistant to having spelling or pronunciation errors pointed out. All I can think is that they are really insecure. Personally, I appreciate it when I am corrected, as I would prefer to speak and write correctly.

Some Mexicans are good at figuring out what gringoes are trying to say, but many just look at you uncomprehendingly if you pronounce something even slightly wrong.

I am sure because he is my husband. Is that a good enough basis for you? It must be a terrible burden to carry trying to help the world with a spelling error.  Some might think that you are the insecure one who has the need to prove she might know more than others. The original OP asked about a painter, not for a spelling test. Stay on topic if you want to help someone. But before I end this, you might want to look back at the original post in this thread. You missed a spelling error. Guess what the word is that you missed. I hope the OP was not offended by you not helping him with his spelling and as a result making the world a better place. Despite all your help, everyone responding to the original thread seemed to know what salitra was without your assistance. I am ending this so you can have the last word if you choose.  That is because I am secure. But, if you choose to continue, some might see that as a display of your insecurity. Have a good evening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I would call getting upset about a simple spelling correction, done not to criticize but so that someone would be understood without further explaining or having to physically show a painter what they are referring to,to be making a mountain out of a molehill.

As I said, I have no problem with someone pointing out that I have made an error, which, as you say, we all do.

• Confused 1

On 4/30/2021 at 3:51 PM, Wait. What? said:

Need a professional, with crew, who is also excellent with siltra.  I had an excellent painter a few years ago.  Alejandro (big help) but so far cannot find his number. Younger man, tall with good English.  Any recommendations will be appreciated.

thanks!

Do you mean Alejandro Mercado? His number is 3339016912.

Alejandro lives on Zaragoza in Ajijic. 2nd door east of Juarez on north side of street. He drives a dark blue pickup. If it is there, he is there. Best go before 8am.

• 2 months later...
On 5/1/2021 at 1:05 PM, Bokko said:

We had an extensive paint and salitre job done this last winter.  He was excellent.  Punctual, good english, middle of the road in pricing, and explains what he is doing.  He says he has a secret formula for stopping the salitre from returning.  He explained it to me but I would let him explain it himself if you are interested.  His name is Chuy Lopez  333-137-1056.  He has also done a number of other repairs around the house and has always proven to know what he is doing.  If he doesn't know he will tell you, something that I appreciate.

I'd like to second Bokko's comment about Chuy.  He and his sons did a thoroughly professional job painting the house.  They were neat, efficient, and easy to talk to and made sure everything looked as good as new (or better) when they were done.  They fixed roof leaks as needed too.

We once hired an expert painter. He could definitely paint with a steady hand, between the lines, no masking tape ( which seems little used in Mexico, low tack or blue). Any ways, he was an expert at looking busy.Too many years as a contractor. Spotted it, and watched him go,did an inventory. Half a bottle of lacquer thinner! Nothing on this job we would ever use. He was " Huffing"  lacquer thinner, that is why he was brain dead. Probably many years.

• 1 year later...
On 7/26/2021 at 5:22 PM, CactusMike said:

I'd like to second Bokko's comment about Chuy.  He and his sons did a thoroughly professional job painting the house.  They were neat, efficient, and easy to talk to and made sure everything looked as good as new (or better) when they were done.  They fixed roof leaks as needed too.

I realize I'm replying to an old post, but want to ask if Chuy Lopez's "secret formula for stopping the salitre from returning" worked for you? The muriatic acid approach applied by my handyman didn't last long, so hoping other approaches might work better. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, InChapala1 said:

I realize I'm replying to an old post, but want to ask if Chuy Lopez's "secret formula for stopping the salitre from returning" worked for you? The muriatic acid approach applied by my handyman didn't last long, so hoping other approaches might work better. Thanks.

If the moisture source was not addressed first, it will keep coming back.