Chapala.com Webboard

Is there a Puente on May 3?

Anyone heard?  iShop in SA has a sign on their door that they'll close Saturday.  My bank today---- nada.  But forgot to ask, and tomorrow may well be the day they put one up. Need to know for planned trip to Guad early next week.    Thanks

This explains when holidays may be  are observed (Mondays instead of fixed date).  

• January 1 - New Year's Day (Año Nuevo)
  • First Monday in February - Constitution Day (Día de la Constitución). Originally observed on February 5, now observed on the first Monday in February.
  • Third Monday in March - Birthday of Benito Juarez (President of Mexico from 1858 to 1872). His birthday was March 21, 1806, but the holiday is observed every year on the third Monday in March.
  • May 1 - Labor Day (Dia del Trabajo). Worker marches and demonstrations in cities across the country can create traffic jams and generally slow things down..
  • September 16 - Mexican Independence Day (Día de la Independencia)
  • Third Monday in November - Revolution Day (Día de la Revolución). The Mexican Revolution began on November 20, 1910, but the revolution is commemorated every year on the third Monday in November.
  • December 25 - Christmas Day (Navidad)

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

This explains when holidays may be observed (Mondays instead of fixed date).  

• First Monday in February - Constitution Day (Día de la Constitución). Originally observed on February 5, now observed on the first Monday in February.
  • Third Monday in March - Birthday of Benito Juarez (President of Mexico from 1858 to 1872). His birthday was March 21, 1806, but the holiday is observed every year on the third Monday in March.
  • May 1 - Labor Day (Dia del Trabajo). Worker marches and demonstrations in cities across the country can create traffic jams and generally slow things down..
  • Third Monday in November - Revolution Day (Día de la Revolución). The Mexican Revolution began on November 20, 1910, but the revolution is commemorated every year on the third Monday in November.

The key word is may.

May third commemorates Holy Cross Day, a religious festival with origins in ancient Jerusalem, without doubt, in Mexico and other countries the construction workers celebrate the Day of the Mason.

El 3 de mayo se conmemora el Día de la Santa Cruz, una festividad religiosa que tiene sus orígenes en el antiguo Jerusalén, sin embargo, en México y en otros países los trabajadores de la construcción celebran el Día del Albañil.

Thanks all. I KNOW May 1 is the official day, but many other  official days get bumped to a Monday so a long weekend is achieved. Some Mexican friends here said "yes", others "no".  However, just called my Mexican landlord, who is a lawyer, and he says YES.... puente will be observed on MONDAY.   And has nothing do to with Día de la Santa Cruz......... altho' you need to be prepared for LOTS of noise in some locations for that 😁

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Thanks all. I KNOW May 1 is the official day, but many other  official days get bumped to a Monday so a long weekend is achieved. Some Mexican friends here said "yes", others "no".  However, just called my Mexican landlord, who is a lawyer, and he says YES.... puente will be observed on MONDAY.   And has nothing do to with Día de la Santa Cruz......... altho' you need to be prepared for LOTS of noise in some locations for that 😁

Well, even he is lawyer he can still be wrong. May 1 doesn't move to mondays, never had. The list above does mention it correctly which days are celebrated mondays and which not.

12 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Your lawyer is definitely wrong and I would bet my life on it.  Don´t think I would use him for employee compensation matters.....LOL

Just to clarify... he's my landlord who simply happens to be a lawyer. Big difference.  But as to his handling of finiquito solutions (which really has NOTHING to do with OP), you would be wrong. Have been  "intermediary" translator for 3 different foreigners when  disagreement resolution  was required re:  maids or gardeners He did each exceedingly well, and totally to the letter of the law.

Of course, he made a mistake this time. Can't opine.... distraction or ???

5 hours ago, Natasha said:

Just to clarify... he's my landlord who simply happens to be a lawyer. Big difference.  But as to his handling of finiquito solutions (which really has NOTHING to do with OP), you would be wrong. Have been  "intermediary" translator for 3 different foreigners when  disagreement resolution  was required re:  maids or gardeners He did each exceedingly well, and totally to the letter of the law.

Of course, he made a mistake this time. Can't opine.... distraction or ???

I don't blame him. My wife works in vacation rentals, and many people thought it was a puente this weekend for some reason, so even my wife started to doubt. 

6 hours ago, Brian Dalziel said:

The purpose of "puente" is to move a holiday so it becomes part of the week-end period.  Since May 1st falls on a weekend there is no occasion for shifting the "Día del Trabajo" celebration this year.

That is true for some holidays. But May 1st never moves to a Monday even if it falls on a tuesday-friday.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Dia de la Constitucion on May 5th. Government, banks and schools will be closed.

Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) is a holiday ONLY in the state of Puebla, where it commemorates the Battle of Puebla. 

In the US, Cinco de Mayo is a big deal (or was pre-pandemic), propagated by the beer industry and then the restaurant industry jumped on it too. 

Again, this is a good list of LEGAL holidays.  

On 4/29/2021 at 2:19 PM, Natasha said:

Anyone heard?  iShop in SA has a sign on their door that they'll close Saturday.  My bank today---- nada.  But forgot to ask, and tomorrow may well be the day they put one up. Need to know for planned trip to Guad early next week.    Thanks

It may be a "puente" for a lot of businesses and individuals in Santa Cruz de la Soledad, just east of Chapala pueblo.