Chapala.com Webboard

Covid test requirement for a fully vaccinated person flying home to U.S.

My brother will be coming in a month.  He has had both Pfizer shots in CA and was issued a proof of vaccination card.  Will he have to get a test in order to return back to LA on Volaris?

If so, what is the best way to accomplish this.  He is 80 years old and can't handle a lot of strenuous.

Gracias!

Still need the test.  

We've used Go Labs a few times; used Ajijic Clinic a few weeks ago.  The Clinic advertises a drive-thru, but when we went everyone parked, then lined up in their parking lot.  The Clinic only does the test 1 hour a day, Mon-Sat.  Both charge 900p.  

We will need one next week and may try Soriana which charges around 500p.

Take passport to testing site as the name must be exact match.  Also review the data on test results...we've had misspelled names, wrong dates, etc.  

Also when he leaves GDL, he will need to fill out an extraordinarily stupid MX form in order to get thru security.  The form requires you to state whether you have a fever, other Covid symptoms when you are LEAVING the country.  I am sure these forms are never reviewed....and even if they were, for what possible purpose---you've already left!  And who is going to state they have symptoms even if they do!!!   

They just changed the method for that form--used to be able to print it, now it looks like you have to register online then capture the QR code to your phone, but I didn't try to go thru the process today so maybe printing is still an option??  Here is link: https://www.vuelaseguro.com/home

There is also another extraordinarily stupid form the airline wants at check-in.  This form requires you to state that you got your Covid test, while you are simultaneously showing the airline agent your actual test results.  Not sure which government is responsible for this form.  

There is a health form for the airport  There are 2 ways. One is make an account, do it online and print a QR code 

http://www.aeropuertoguadalajara.com/cuestionario-de-identificacion-de-factores-de-riesgos-en-viajeros/

the other way is to download the form fill it in and present to security 

http://www.aeropuertoguadalajara.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Cuestionario-COVID-Aeropuerto-de-Guadalajara.pdf

For Volaris he will need the US verification of test form filled out. 72 hours before the flight you do it on the Volaris website and print out the QR code.

https://volarispassengerform.com/

Bisbee Gal is correct regarding USA requirement for entry by air.  Here is the link for any changes to the current requirements

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information.html

45 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Still need the test.  

We've used Go Labs a few times; used Ajijic Clinic a few weeks ago.  The clinic advertises a drive-thru, but when we went everyone lined up.  The Clinic only does the test 1 hour Mon-Sat.  Both charge 900p.  

We will need one next week and may try Soriana which charges around 500p.

Also when he leaves GDL, he will need to fill out an extraordinarily stupid MX form in order to get thru security.  The form requires you to state whether you have a fever, other Covid symptoms when you are LEAVING the country.  I am sure these forms are never reviewed....and even if they were, for what possible purpose---you've already left!  And who is going to state they have symptoms even if they do!!!   

They just changed the method for that form--used to be able to print it, now it looks like you have to register online then capture the QR code to your phone, but I didn't try to go thru the process today so maybe printing is still an option??  Here is link: https://www.vuelaseguro.com/home

There is also another extraordinarily stupid form the airline wants at check-in.  This form requires you to state that you got your Covid test, while you are simultaneously showing the airline agent your actual test results.  Not sure which government is responsible for this form.  

Bisbee Gal, was it the antigen test that you had done?

1 minute ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Yes, it's required for US bound flights. 

I was just wondering if PCR test and antigen are both accepted for travel to the states.

9 hours ago, Holalola said:

Ajijic Clinic worked well for us. They test between 11-12 Mon thru Fri, with results available by 2pm the same day. They also offer the test on Saturday but I’m not sure of the time. No appointment required. It was a quick, relatively painless and easy process. 

How much was it at the Ajijic Clinic?

Dan, I think the cheapest and easiest place to get the required test is Soriana.  You pay inside and take the receipt out to the kiosk in the parking lot.  They do the test right then and as soon as you get home there will be an email with results.  Print that and take it with you to check in.

Alan

What hours and days do they do the test at Soriana?  I am correct in assuming we have to have a test report dated no more than 72 hours before the flight time?  I am thinking to go on a Thursday to leave a little margin for error.

Thanks to all who replied.  You've really helped me and my brother a lot.  Much appreciated!

Just guessing but probably not before 10am of after 6pm.  I think the 72 hour rule is still in effect...but who knows by the time he's leaving.  We have two friends who traveled recently and the only person to look at the test was at the boarding gate.  You'd think they would do it at check-in in case there was a problem...Maybe each airline has its own rules. 

Alan

Never was 72 hours.  Always has been this, from CDC site, 

Why does the Order specify 3 days rather than 72 hours? What is considered 3 days?

The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day timeframe instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the traveler. By using a 3-day window, test validity does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test was administered.

For example, if a passenger’s flight is at 1pm on a Friday, the passenger could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, barrbower said:

Just guessing but probably not before 10am of after 6pm.  I think the 72 hour rule is still in effect...but who knows by the time he's leaving.  We have two friends who traveled recently and the only person to look at the test was at the boarding gate.  You'd think they would do it at check-in in case there was a problem...Maybe each airline has its own rules. 

Alan

We have flown 4 times to US since test requirement. Delta, American and United.  ALL required us to show test results at check-in counter (never at gate).  

Verified at check-in every time as well.  With Volaris you need to have done it in advance and you will have a QR code wo verify it.

Just imagine at boarding the gate agent would have to read and verify the test.. walk over to their terminal, access the PNR, enter ok for the test, then let you board..... boarding would take hours

Good experience using the lab in Soriana parking lot yesterday.  Bring your passport.  Go inside store to pay first.  Take receipt to lab trailer at other end of parking lot. Results were sent to my email within 2 hours.  No spelling errors or wrong dates (this happened to us twice at other places).  

There was one hiccup--the store cashier told us the lab didn't open until 9 (it was 8:30).  But as we started to exit the parking lot we noticed the door to lab was open.  We confirmed with lab staff that they were indeed open, so we went back into store to pay, get receipt.  

Cost is 498p, compared to 900p at Go Labs and Ajijic Clinic.  

This was for ANTIGEN test needed for flying into US. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 1:07 PM, Mainecoons said:

Can he get antigen test locally within 72 hours of flight?  Best place?

Best Lab in Riberas