Chapala.com Webboard

Good quality sewing thread?

I don't think anyone out here sells good quality thread any more but would be HAPPY for someone to prove me wrong!

I get mine in Guad when needed, and even then the Gutterman made in Mexico different than what I brought from the north many years ago. But it certainly is better than the thicker, local stuff like Seralón, etc. There's a small sewing section inside the papelería in San Antonio right next to Mario's restaurant.  Chapala has a small fabric store (kitty-corner from bus station at east end) but I didn't see Gutterman there either.

Does this help?... Amazon.com.mx : hilos para coser

The only brand (marca) that I recognize is Coats and Clark but Guterman is there if you drop down on the side menu. I assume if it says "importacion" that it's the real deal and not Mexican made. Mexican thread seems to break a lot and I rarely sew any more.

22 minutes ago, Natasha said:

I get mine in Guad when needed, and even then the Gutterman made in Mexico different than what I brought from the north many years ago. 

I know- I sew for a living and when I found Guterman here, I was so excited, only to find out it isn't the same- not nearly as smooth- it's not as fuzzy as the Seralon, but still harder to get through the needle than what I was used to.

I mostly use upholstery thread for my work, though.

Thanks everyone. I looked on Amazon and I now understand why people don't sew anymore - who pays the equivalent of $10 (USD!) for a spool of thread? I guess I haven't price-checked for a while but need to have something on hand just for basic mending. I'm off to the papeleria...

15 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I know- I sew for a living and when I found Guterman here, I was so excited, only to find out it isn't the same- not nearly as smooth- it's not as fuzzy as the Seralon, but still harder to get through the needle than what I was used to.

Gee my friend..... I find it thinner, really pretty smooth.  Of course I don't do the heavy work you do. But it's still stronger and lasts a lot longer than Seralón.... and for the clothing I make and wear for YEARS,   Seralón requires over-sewing from time to time as it literally wears out, so have quit using except for mending  stuff that's nearly ready to toss anyway.

KARINA:  You won't pay that if you happen to be in Guad for other purposes.

16 minutes ago, Karina G said:

Thanks everyone. I looked on Amazon and I now understand why people don't sew anymore - who pays the equivalent of $10 (USD!) for a spool of thread? I guess I haven't price-checked for a while but need to have something on hand just for basic mending. I'm off to the papeleria...

Too funny. Those spools come in all different sizes aka length. Since I would have to hire a driver to take me to Guadalajara/wait/drive back, the Amazon order would be way cheaper and less aggravating for me. There's something for everyone.

23 hours ago, mudgirl said:

........ when I found Guterman here, I was so excited, only to find out it isn't the same- not nearly as smooth- it's not as fuzzy as the Seralon, but still harder to get through the needle than what I was used to.

Me again..... you made me so curious I checked my sewing box. (Covid boredom motivation.... what can I say?) Box even contains thread so old it's on wooden spools  🤣🤣 .  Found Gutterman bought in Canada and in Mexico.  BUT.... and this is really odd..... one from Canada, product of Germany  says silk finish on the spool  and is is thinner than the Mexican variety. Another from Canada, also made in Germany but without "silk finish"  is fatter.:017:

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Box even contains thread so old it's on wooden spools  🤣🤣

Haha, yes I have a few of those. I used to collect them. Lots went in my kid's block box, and I used to make them wooden toys using the spools for wheels. 

There are various types of Guterman thread, so yes, they had silk finish, regular, bottonhole (MUCH thicker), quilting. 

I do find the Mexican Guterman thinner and less fuzzy than Seralon, but it's still not as smooth or as strong as what I used to buy in Canada.