Chapala.com Webboard

Can Telmex improve my internet speed?

Lexy

OK, that might be a stupid question, but please indulge me if you have the answer. I'm trying to avoid a trip to their Ajijic office to complain about a speed of 4.59 mbps, download.

The speed didn't use to matter to me, but now it does. I May have to switch to another internet server for better speed if Telmex can't provide a better speed.

Lexy

f

Call the 800 number on the front of your modem. Ask to speak to a tech in English. It's worth the wait. They can run diagnostics from their end AND will generate a repair # and send that to Ajijic. They will also phone and confirm with you whether the problem has been fixed or not or even if it can be fixed. Going into the Telmex office in Ajijic to get anything done, other than paying a bill, is like spitting into the wind.

• Like 2

Try unplugging the power transformer to the WiFi router and then plugging it back in. This did the trick when my download speed drops to 4 mbps instead of close to 10, which is the lowest all TelMex internent connections have now.

I think it depends on where you live.  We live in Riberas and a little over a year ago we got telmex.  We ordered a higher speed than 10 but a woman working in the office told us she lived in Riberas and she could never get above a 10.  When our installer came he set us up for 10.  He said the higher speed had constant problems.

When we moved to this house in early 2017 we were told at the office that we were limited to a max of 5.  We were told it was because of the limitation at the pole/transmission point nearest us.  

After a few weeks we discovered all our neighbors were getting 10.  Went back to office and again were told that for us it would be 5 unless and until someone connected at that same point dropped TelMex. 

I called the main office in Mexico City, too.  I bugged them a few times, but in the end they just sent a work order to the Ajijic office, who came to the house and told us the same thing: we were capped at 5.  

Once a year, I'd go to TelMex and wait to talk to a rep to see if antything changed.  Same story---for you, only 5. 

In late 2019 there was a lot of TelMex action on our street, not our block but nearby.  I went to TelMex--they repeated, 5 is all you can get unless or until someone on our transmission point dropped TelMex. 

Then a few weeks later....we went to 10!!  Over time, it has gone to 20 and sometimes near 30 these days.  

I will never know if someone on our transmission point dropped TelMex or if their area-wide improvements finally got to our pole/transmission point.  

In the meantime we added Ilox; we have always had 2 ISPs since we first moved here in 2008 and I recommend that to anyone who relies on heavily on the internet for communication.  

• Like 1