Chapala.com Webboard

Fire Stick for TV reception?

Lexy

I finally want to get rid of my Dish Network USA. However I've been using it for so long I don't know what to replace it with. Someone mentioned Fire Stick to me. Anyone familiar with it?

I watch very little TV these days. I subscribe to Netflix. And I'd want to subscribe to a news program, probably CNN.

Does anyone have a word of advice on using Fire Stick for TV watching?

Lexy

No, actually, the Firestick becomes the "Smart" part of your TV. But it will also work with a smart TV. When you plug it in to your TV set, using an HDMI port on the side or back, the TV sees it as a completely separate thing.

The "legal" way to get CNN or pretty much any network on your Firestick is based on you having an actual subscription to a cable or satellite network back home. CNNGo is an app that can be installed, but when you go to set it up, it asks your for your Service Provider (cable source), and stops you there.

I am watching USTVGO channels list - USTVGO.TV on my computer. At the moment it's working without a vpn but works better with Nordvpn (4.99 a month). If you have an HDMI port on your laptop AND an HDMI port or your TV, you can run a cable between the two and whatever is on your laptop will also show on your TV (aka mirroring). I did have a wireless version for my TV when my laptop was a Windows 7 and now I have to buy another one because this laptop has Windows 10. It sounds hard but it's not. And I understand that the Firesticks need to be reprogrammed occasionally. Whatever works for you.

6 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Does Firestick give you FREE news channels ? the ones I see available are not very current. Why not check out a "partnership" with a group sharing a Shaw package, you get good news channels and PBS for a reason fee.

The Firestick 4K gives you every possible news channel you could want. I watch my local Canadian News channel as well as CNN, BBC, etc. No cost other than the initial purchase of the stick.

• Like 1

Until the dust settles about Shaw.... possible buyout and questionable life of the satellites that now reach Mexico.... I don't think I would invest in a Shaw system at the moment.  My opinion. Just get someone to install a Firestick 4K and pay little or no ongoing fees.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

The Firestick 4K gives you every possible news channel you could want. I watch my local Canadian News channel as well as CNN, BBC, etc. No cost other than the initial purchase of the stick.

As far as I know, your basic Firestick does NOT give you live news channels unless you subscribe to a service, like Hulu Live TV, Sling TV, YouTube TV, or AT&T TV.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

As far as I know, your basic Firestick does NOT give you live news channels unless you subscribe to a service, like Hulu Live TV, Sling TV, YouTube TV, or AT&T TV.

Not correct. I'm watching everything Shaw supplies and much more. I had my own Shaw account from Canada, but finally woke up and stopped the outrages monthly fees.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Floradude said:

I do have an HDMI port on my Sony TV.  I have Shaw so I get just about everything I want, but... 

So, can I get Firestick that will let me get Netflix, Disney, etc.   ?

Or if all you want is those you can use Roku as well. I suscribe to Netflix Mexico, Amazon Prime Mexico, and more. Or if you want USA content then you need to use a VPN

OK, I am going to bring back my favorite muse, Yogi Berra (RIP)…"nobody knows nuthin' here" !!! All this is plowed ground and evolving by the hour. What are the best apps? do you need a VPN? What are the latest work arounds to keep everything going? I am stumbling around like everyone else here, but have enough on my Firestick including a shared subscription of Netflix and just discovered an app called Panda with both live channels and streaming that so far is working with Strong VPN. It's a whole new TV world out there folks, but it still beats the US$80 monthly I was paying for a subscription for basic Dish Satellite TV, that was in and out during the rainy season!!! 

The apps on a modified firestick come and go.. they ,might work today or they might not.. So you then have to reload them yourself or pay someone to do it for you. The guys selling firesticks are charging double the purchase price and trying to justify it by telling you we have programmed it for you.. The programs are free if you do it yourself.. If you get a firestick you do need to know how to find the apps and load them or you will constantly paying for someone to fix it for you.    And of course you need decent internet speed.

• Like 1

So harking back to Lexy's original Post which seems like an eternity ago....  I'll bet at this point she is sorry she asked with all the one-upmanship and half-truths going on.

She had a simple question. Unless she is somewhat technical the purchase of a Firestick gets her nowhere.  Is this "Rich" fellow still around or is he the one who 'departed'? She may not be into 'side-loading' or Kodi or VPNs or ???   

Is there a simple solution to her basic "2-needs" question aside from Shaw or Dish? Something she won't have to modify every couple of months to keep it running? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, RickS said:

So harking back to Lexy's original Post which seems like an eternity ago....  I'll bet at this point she is sorry she asked with all the one-upmanship and half-truths going on.

She had a simple question. Unless she is somewhat technical the purchase of a Firestick gets her nowhere.  Is this "Rich" fellow still around or is he the one who 'departed'? She may not be into 'side-loading' or Kodi or VPNs or ???   

Is there a simple solution to her basic "2-needs" question aside from Shaw or Dish? Something she won't have to modify every couple of months to keep it running? 

No...I don't think so.

• Thanks 1