Chapala.com Webboard

Fire Stick for TV reception?

Lexy

To answer Levy’s question:   If you buy an overpriced firestick from someone who will tell you it works great you will find out that it doesn’t unless you constantly work on it.. ,If you want free TV and don’t get to frustrated with it then it will work for you. 

if you buy from Amazon or somewhere like you will get a firesttick that’s programmed from the factory, if you want live TV that will work consistently then you will have to purchase a subscription...  

Again you need good internet.

• Like 1

Ok all I can say I have a Firestick I bought in from a super guy between Chapala and Ajijic and have traveled from Jocotepec to Colombia and mine has served me well. I bought mine from Derick originally  and it lost the programing I think to lack of use because of lack of use because I lived in an area in Joco where the internet .uks. I am now in an area where I have super internet. and use mine daily for everything. Especially Chinese ping pong. Ha, Just kidding. 

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Do you realize that this is unintelligible to non-techies? 

Most people can do the required changes by viewing a short YouTube video, or they can have someone do it for them: once. It is then set and can be used very easily. I have set up some for very non technical users and they are extremely happy with the unit. 

2 hours ago, lcscats said:

Be aware not every IPTV like service runs well with ILOX.  I went through four of them and they all buffered fifth one worked.  Borrow one and see before buying.  

ILOX seems to present issues with streaming in general. I'm not a fan of IPTV, but do enjoy the speed and convenience of Real-Debrid.

12 hours ago, RickS said:

So harking back to Lexy's original Post which seems like an eternity ago....  I'll bet at this point she is sorry she asked with all the one-upmanship and half-truths going on.

She had a simple question. Unless she is somewhat technical the purchase of a Firestick gets her nowhere.  Is this "Rich" fellow still around or is he the one who 'departed'? She may not be into 'side-loading' or Kodi or VPNs or ???   

Is there a simple solution to her basic "2-needs" question aside from Shaw or Dish? Something she won't have to modify every couple of months to keep it running?

We have a Firestick 4K........and trust me, Aplha 1 knows me and knows I CANNOT do basic 1st time programming set-up. I know Lexy.... she could not either!(no criticism implied).

Rich programmed ours when it arrived(hugely reasonable rate for this, plus an operating lesson next day  in my house), and has returned once for a re-program of some kind I didn't understand but was a  total system "upgrade" initiated by??? over which I had no control --- mystified me, but he did it in about 5 minutes. . (Not to be confused with ONE viewing app needing an update, which anyone can do). And yes, unless YOU choose to pay for some some special apps (we have more FREE than we use) it's  totally free.             

Bad news..... unless something has changed VERY recently, Amazon does not ship the "4K" model to Mexico.... so you have to find a mule.

LEXY..... phone me if you want to know more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Natasha said:

We have a Firestick 4K........and trust me, Aplha 1 knows me and knows I CANNOT do basic 1st time programming set-up. I know Lexy.... she could not either!(no criticism implied).

Rich programmed ours when it arrived(hugely reasonable rate for this, plus an operating lesson next day  in my house), and has returned once for a re-program of some kind I didn't understand but was a  total system "upgrade" initiated by??? over which I had no control --- mystified me, but he did it in about 5 minutes. . (Not to be confused with ONE viewing app needing an update, which anyone can do). And yes, unless YOU choose to pay for some some special apps (we have more FREE than we use) it's  totally free.             

Bad news..... unless something has changed VERY recently, Amazon does not ship the "4K" model to Mexico.... so you have to find a mule.

LEXY..... phone me if you want to know more.

Will be available on Amazon Mexico in late May

https://www.amazon.com.mx/nuevo-fire-tv-stick-4k-con-control-remoto-por-voz-alexa/dp/B0872Y93TV/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=fire+stick+4k&qid=1619620966&sr=8-1

Now on Mercadolibre

https://www.mercadolibre.com.mx/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-de-voz-4k-8gb-negro-con-15gb-de-memoria-ram/p/MLM14141341?pdp_filters=category:MLM1000#searchVariation=MLM14141341&position=1&search_layout=stack&type=product&tracking_id=2472ed5e-1355-4324-be34-13d2852074ca

7 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Be aware the one on mercadolibre is an older version. You can tell by looking at the remotes.

Alpha1  is the person to respond to this. When i bought mine, he said to get the "older" version-----  can't remember why and don't care---- but he had a "good" reason  and he can weigh in. Pretty sure the ML one is what  I bought.

As I said, the one on Mercadolibre is older, and yes, is 4K. The link to Amazon Mexico, posted by Mostlylost, is the newest, and is also 4K and "Ultra", but not in stock until May 22. The Ultra is available for sale on Amazon.ca, but I don't see it on Amazon.com. These are obvioulsy 2021 models.

30 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

As I said, the one on Mercadolibre is older, and yes, is 4K. The link to Amazon Mexico, posted by Mostlylost, is the newest, and is also 4K and "Ultra", but not in stock until May 22. The Ultra is available for sale on Amazon.ca, but I don't see it on Amazon.com. These are obvioulsy 2021 models.

Please place a link to the 4K you mentioned. To my knowledge Amazon only makes 2 units at 4K, the Firestick 4k and the Cube 4K. The newer models have a different OS, but are not 4K.

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

If you look on Amazon Mexico there are several models available.. I have my doubts about a 4K firestick.  You need really good internet speed to stream 4K.  There are better models available than the 4K.  Unless you have a 4K TV and fast internet...

Not correct. Study the reviews and specs. 

I don't know if this is true in Mexico but in the U.S. non-Amazon stores (Best Buy, Target, etc.) are still selling brand new older 4K models while Amazon is selling only their newest models and some refurbs. The same may be true in Mexico. AFAIK the difference between the 2020 release and the 2021 release is the addition of 4 pre-selected channel buttons on the 2021 remote. I am not a fan of those buttons so I prefer the 2020 release which is not available from Amazon---at least in the U.S. Pay close attention to model numbers and release dates.

I like the extra buttons on some of my devices, because it's one touch to get where you want to go. But it would be nice if they were also customizable. Especially here in Mexico, where many of us won't be subscribing to those specific services.

Amazon not having a specific support page for their tech products is a huge problem when trying to get specs. At the moment, without Amazon US having the latest gear, it's easier to compare on the Canadian site.

This new 2021 model does not support 4K

https://www.amazon.ca/fire-tv-stick-with-3rd-gen-alexa-voice-remote/dp/B08C1TR9X6/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=fire+tv+stick&qid=1619701257&sr=8-2

This new Ultra does, although both only refer to Ultra in the description (Canada and Mexico, below).

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B079QH9GG7

https://www.amazon.com.mx/nuevo-fire-tv-stick-4k-con-control-remoto-por-voz-alexa/dp/B0872Y93TV/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=fire+stick+4k&qid=1619620966&sr=8-1

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mattoleriver said:

I don't know if this is true in Mexico but in the U.S. non-Amazon stores (Best Buy, Target, etc.) are still selling brand new older 4K models while Amazon is selling only their newest models and some refurbs. The same may be true in Mexico. AFAIK the difference between the 2020 release and the 2021 release is the addition of 4 pre-selected channel buttons on the 2021 remote. I am not a fan of those buttons so I prefer the 2020 release which is not available from Amazon---at least in the U.S. Pay close attention to model numbers and release dates.

https://liliputing.com/2021/03/new-amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-leaked.html

New Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K leaked (Update: only the remote is new)

15 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

If you look on Amazon Mexico there are several models available.. I have my doubts about a 4K firestick.  You need really good internet speed to stream 4K.  There are better models available than the 4K.  Unless you have a 4K TV and fast internet...

Name something better for $50 US.  The only one I can think of is the Chromecast TV.  And please don't say Roku.  They are great devices but not if you want to sideload apps.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, Lexy said:

I finally want to get rid of my Dish Network USA. However I've been using it for so long I don't know what to replace it with. Someone mentioned Fire Stick to me. Anyone familiar with it?

I watch very little TV these days. I subscribe to Netflix. And I'd want to subscribe to a news program, probably CNN.

Does anyone have a word of advice on using Fire Stick for TV watching?

Lexy

You are getting some very bad information from some of the members.  First, who is your internet provider? Second, go to Google and type "Ookla Speedtest" and run the test.  Let me know the PING number (in milliseconds) and the DOWNLOAD number (in Mbps).  The numbers will reveal what is possible on your Firestick.