Chapala.com Webboard

A Little More Science About Those Facemasks

The study that MC posted last week about facemasks shows that the author, Baruch Vainshelboim " is listed as part of the cardiology division at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System at Stanford University."

"But he has no affiliation with Stanford, according to the university. Stanford School of Medicine spokeswoman Julie Greicius said in a prepared statement that Stanford supports the use of face masks to control the spread of COVID-19."

"A LinkedIn account for Vainshelboim lists his profession as a clinical exercise physiologist. He did not respond to a request for comment."

"The article appeared in the journal Medical Hypotheses, which its publisher says has the purpose “to publish interesting theoretical papers.” David Gorski, a surgical oncologist who writes about medical misinformation, told The Associated Press the journal publishes "fringe science and hypotheses."

Why am I not the least bit surprised.  Here's the full article:  Fact Check

• Thanks 5

I actually posted three different pieces.  That was the first.

Since you want to start this again, chew on this:

https://www.technocracy.news/masks-are-neither-effective-nor-safe-a-summary-of-the-science/

https://thepalmierireport.com/7-studies-that-say-masks-are-ineffective/

Settled science it ain't.

And "fact checks" from known biased sources are about as useful as those cloth masks.  :D 

Have fun.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

about as useful as those cloth masks.  :D 

Your constant postings about how cloth masks don't help is based on a false presumption that all cloth masks are some sort of porous, flimsy things that people never wash and don't handle properly.

The cloth masks I made myself have an outer layer of tightly woven cotton and an inner layer of double woven black-out fabric. I can hold it under a water tap and the water barely runs through it and super slowly.

I have 10, they get washed regularly, never wadded up and stuffed back in a pocket or bag, and I know how to put them on and remove them safely.

Saying "cloth masks" is like saying saying "meat". There are many types.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

I actually posted three different pieces.  That was the first.

Since you want to start this again, chew on this:

https://www.technocracy.news/masks-are-neither-effective-nor-safe-a-summary-of-the-science/

https://thepalmierireport.com/7-studies-that-say-masks-are-ineffective/

Settled science it ain't.

And "fact checks" from known biased sources are about as useful as those cloth masks.  :D 

Have fun.

You said in your original post that the study was "peer reviewed".  The study's author is a physical therapist, for f's sake.  The publication lied about his credentials (or the author did).  Why can't you just man-up and apologize for posting misleading information.  The "study" was not peer reviewed and you make yourself look very small for defending this misinformation.  Please research before you post.  It would be a great help to this forum. 

Waiting for the counterattack.  You're not known for any semblance of self-reflection.

• Thanks 8

15 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

You can never change the mind of an anti-masker. They will spend their days looking up reports that agree with their own misguided logic. We had the same baloney in 1918.... just didn't have the Internet.

You may be able to change the mind of "an" anti-masker.  You just won't change the mind of "this" anti-masker.  He's pretty much incapable of admitting error or contrition.  He just wants to "own the libs".  That's the agenda.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I like seeing somebody who is approaching me wearing a mask.  Here is why.  Covid virus is spread primarily through wet particles expelled during speech but more in a cough, sneeze, or loud shouting where a large volume of air is expelled.  Wear a double layer mask and from two feet away try to blow out a candle...difficult.  Then try it without a mask...easy.  Slow motion videos with back lighting show the amount of particulate expelled with vs without mask.  I've seen several.  It's just physics.  Now, there is no excusing folks who wear them under the nose or even the chin or insist on wearing a non washable mask until it's a dirty mess.  There are $%&/()s everywhere.  Just like the many people who won't get the vaccine but since the start have been promoting herd immunity.  Now with herd immunity within reach they won't do their part to make it work.  They'll die defending their right to not be told what to do on this issue but when sick with heart conditions, for instance, they will take a doctor's instruction on how to avoid future health problems.  They will certainly do what their spouse tells them to do...And I'd bet all of them got vaccinated when they were kids not only because their parents were smarter than they are, but because it was required by school boards everywhere to prevent the unnecessary spread of disease.  I really can't explain it... but if you go online you can find "peer reviewed" papers on flat earth, faked moon landing, and the superiority of the male brain.  I know that last one isn't true...just ask my wife.

Alan

• Like 3

I know- I'll be walking down the street and some maskless guy I pass starts yelling out to his buddy across the street. Some woman with her mask down around her chin sneezed forcefully while walking by me. I hold my breath and turn around and walk the other way.

And I love the shop owners who sit there maskless in their tiny store, the air full of their breath, and then put the mask on when someone walks in. Totally unclear on the concept.

3 hours ago, All Day said:

You may be able to change the mind of "an" anti-masker.  You just won't change the mind of "this" anti-masker.  He's pretty much incapable of admitting error or contrition.  He just wants to "own the libs".  That's the agenda.

Don´t you know some people were born with the inalienable "right" of never being wrong, and somehow wound up posting on this obscure forum. :017:

• Haha 1

So long as Mainecoons uses news sources such as these, I am inclined to discount them.  For example:

• Technocracy News - Media Bias Fact Check

mediabiasfactcheck.com › technocracy-news

Analysis / Bias In review, Technocracy News frequently publishes conspiracy theories and promotes pseudoscience. Many articles are written by Patrick Wood, with others republished from right-leaning sources such as the questionable Breitbart and conspiracy website Zerohedge .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, barrbower said:

I like seeing somebody who is approaching me wearing a mask.  Here is why.  Covid virus is spread primarily through wet particles expelled during speech but more in a cough, sneeze, or loud shouting where a large volume of air is expelled.  Wear a double layer mask and from two feet away try to blow out a candle...difficult.  Then try it without a mask...easy.  Slow motion videos with back lighting show the amount of particulate expelled with vs without mask.  I've seen several.  It's just physics.  Now, there is no excusing folks who wear them under the nose or even the chin or insist on wearing a non washable mask until it's a dirty mess. 

Peoples' views and the science on masks are both evolving as more people get fully vaccinated.  

Prior to my vax I was an adamant masker.  We didn't eat at restaurants, not even open-air ones.  

But now 2 months post-vax (Pfizer) I've become a chin wearer outdoors.  If I someone is walking towards me, I pull it up as a courtesy to them as I realize they have no clue as to my vax status.  

We now eat out daily, mostly at outdoor venues (they were always my preference, even pre-pandemic).  I wear my mask as I enter and leave restaurants and when I place my order with waitstaff. 

I wear my mask inside stores and shops as required by law.

Everyone will re-think their mask wearing regimen once they are fully vax'd.  

Bisbee Gal, Sounds like common sense to me.  I do the same.  I'm currently waiting for my second Pfizer.  We truly do live in a wonderful area where pretty much all restaurants are either outdoors or at least open air.  Keep in mind that even after vax you can still get Covid and could still spread it to somebody who might be in a high risk category.  Best to follow common sense protocols and keep yourself and others as safe as you can. 

Alan

• Like 4

Here is an interesting article that came out today.

https://www.businessinsider.com/6-ft-social-distancing-rule-exposure-indoors-2021-4

So many of the things that the top scientists and the WHO and the CDC have been saying changes daily and weekly.  Apparently, now they are saying that 6 feet appart indoors does nothing to stop the spread of Covid.  All those rediculous lines we have been standing in all this time has been an utter waste of time.  And preventing children and old people from entering into stores was a total disgrace that helped no one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Here is an interesting article that came out today.

https://www.businessinsider.com/6-ft-social-distancing-rule-exposure-indoors-2021-4

So many of the things that the top scientists and the WHO and the CDC have been saying changes daily and weekly.  Apparently, now they are saying that 6 feet appart indoors does nothing to stop the spread of Covid.  All those rediculous lines we have been standing in all this time has been an utter waste of time.  And preventing children and old people from entering into stores was a total disgrace that helped no one.

Business Insider is rt. wing and twists stories around. Not a reliable source of good information.

1 hour ago, dichosalocura said:

Your Raw Story article is a totally different article with totally different information.  It never mentions the MIT study that suggests that 6 feet distancing is waste of time.  Yours only talks about facemasks.

Thank you! I posted the link to the same distancing story you did elsewhere and got confused.

• Like 1