Chapala.com Webboard

Cicadas in Lakeside?

Dab

As we approach the first day of May, the cicadas seem to be emerging. We all know the rainy season begins in mid-June. Just do the math. I'm sorry the total number of days between the two exceeds the total number of fingers and toes on the average human, thereby making this calculation that much more difficult for a certain percentage of the population.

I am curious to see if this early start to the "rainbird" season indicates an early start to the rainy season. You may want to plant your crops a little early this year.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:13 PM, CHILLIN said:

I'm curious, does anybody eat them? You go first is not an acceptable answer!

My dog eats them if she can catch them.

4 hours ago, alex45920 said:

As we approach the first day of May, the cicadas seem to be emerging. We all know the rainy season begins in mid-June. Just do the math. I'm sorry the total number of days between the two exceeds the total number of fingers and toes on the average human, thereby making this calculation that much more difficult for a certain percentage of the population.

I am curious to see if this early start to the "rainbird" season indicates an early start to the rainy season. You may want to plant your crops a little early this year.

Or you may not since every year there are early cicadas and people speculating (with some predicting) this means an early start to the rainy season. It doesn’t.  That has nothing to do with why some people have changed the “prediction” from six weeks to suddenly three from when we first begin hearing the cicadas.

5 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Yeah after living 10 years here, regardless when the rainbirds start singing the rains always start on the 2nd week of June.

Specifically June 13 to dampen[pun intended] the SAT fiesta. Since there probably won't be a fiesta this year confusion will rain[pun intended].

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 6:41 PM, Xena said:

Or you may not since every year there are early cicadas and people speculating (with some predicting) this means an early start to the rainy season. It doesn’t.  That has nothing to do with why some people have changed the “prediction” from six weeks to suddenly three from when we first begin hearing the cicadas.

Well People were reporting hearing cicadas  AKA rainbirds 3 weeks ago. Last night and today ... rain not much but rain in San Antonio.  I have just seen lightning in clouds while looking towards Tuexcueca and hearing thunder at 2:15pm

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Well People were reporting hearing cicadas  AKA rainbirds 3 weeks ago. Last night and today ... rain not much but rain in San Antonio.  I have just seen lightning in clouds while looking towards Tuexcueca and hearing thunder at 2:15pm

It does nothing to change the fact that since I moved here 13 years ago the legend has been six weeks. This year, suddenly, it has become three weeks. And which people’s hearings set the clock ticking? The ones who heard it three weeks ago or the people who heard it two weeks ago, or yesterday. What about the ones who will first hear it next week or the week after? Whose hearing is official? 
Every shower is not the start of the rainy season.