Chapala.com Webboard

Cost of School for 5 year old

5 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Primary school is free. There normally will be a fee paid to Padres de la Familia (think PTA) of a few hundred pesos depending on the school. The uniform will depend on the school.  

It should not exceed a total of $1000 for everything. 

Great, so if I gave her 1000 pesos it should cover all her expenses.

Thanks, our kids and grandkids in Canada don't know how lucky they are!!

3 hours ago, Guiness said:

Does anyone know what the cost is here in Chapala for a little boy 6 yrs to attend school. Including uniform and all related costs?

Thanks in advance. Our maid is a single Mom struggling....we want to help....

There can be considerable  difference in cost between a private and public  school. You can easy find out by discussing the issue  with your maid. If you could see your way to supporting him at a private school it would be a great start In his life. Maybe he is a gifted child who will acquire  good grades and free scholarship . Private schools have "specials " for income  limited families. There could be issues for providing transportation etc, but a commitment on you part now could mean a successful career for this child. But your generosity should be dependant on the  boy maintaining his grades

On 4/22/2021 at 7:11 PM, lakeside7 said:

There can be considerable  difference in cost between a private and public  school. You can easy find out by discussing the issue  with your maid. If you could see your way to supporting him at a private school it would be a great start In his life. Maybe he is a gifted child who will acquire  good grades and free scholarship . Private schools have "specials " for income  limited families. There could be issues for providing transportation etc, but a commitment on you part now could mean a successful career for this child. But your generosity should be dependant on the  boy maintaining his grades

I disagree. Depending on where the child lives and their circumstances in life, please be aware that economic differences are singled out for ridicule. They are always assumed to be the culprit in a dispute because they are "different". If you don't think that children learn their discriminations from their parents, you'd be wrong. The flip side was that he didn't fit in within his own neighbourhood either. "High Falutin'" because he went to a private school. We went down this path in San Miguel de Allende with our housekeeper's youngest son. It was heartbreaking although our intentions were good for the reasons Lakeside7 stated. Be care what you choose and why.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

I disagree. Depending on where the child lives and their circumstances in life, please be aware that economic differences are singled out for ridicule. They are always assumed to be the culprit in a dispute because they are "different". If you don't think that children learn their discriminations from their parents, you'd be wrong. The flip side was that he didn't fit in within his own neighbourhood either. "High Falutin'" because he went to a private school. We went down this path in San Miguel de Allende with our housekeeper's youngest son. It was heartbreaking although our intentions were good for the reasons Lakeside7 stated. Be care what you choose and why.

I do not understand your rebuttal except it seems to  suggest that because  you are born into a certain eccomic box , that's were your destiny stays OMG. If you are born in a Ghetto you have to stay there!

I am glad not to be one of your  camp followers.  Your observation gives me a flash back to when living in the US, the locals did not ask what did you do, BUT who were your family! 

Sure there are going to some "issues" but I would  suggest your child will go "further " from a private school than attending  "most" of the public schools in  this area 

Why are there  so many private schools, not only  in this area but all over Mexico? There is a demand. Maybe the question is  best addressed to Mexican parents who like other parents  in the rest of the world make a "sacrifice " perceive  or otherwise to obtain a better education for their children 

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

I know 2 doctors, an engineer, and an architect who came from a poor family whose divorced mother was a maid and all went public school through high school. 

You do not need to go to a private school to move out of poverty. You need desire and hard work.

Wonderful story thanks for sharing 

9 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

I know 2 doctors, an engineer, and an architect who came from a poor family whose divorced mother was a maid and all went public school through high school. 

You do not need to go to a private school to move out of poverty. You need desire and hard work.

True, but it also depends much of the school/city/time etc. The public schools in my neighborhood in gdl are really bad quality and to be honest, it will make your life much harder further on the road in the University. So my kids are going to a private school. Especially in the beginning it was economically hard for us but it is worth it. Especially now this past year with the pandemic they only missed about one week of school, the week of March 17th 2020 when they closed all the schools. It took our school about 3 days to start with the online classes while public schools in our area basically never got any lessons anymore for the rest of the schoolyear. Now, our kids are physically back to school since March while public schools are still with online classes. At the public schools they would be way behind compared to the private school and totally not prepared for the university even without the pandemic.

My Mexican wife went to a private school for the same reason, only the university she went to a public one which was better, but she wouldn't be able to enter the public university if she went to a public school first because she would be way below the needed grades.

While on the other hand family in Mazatlan went to public schools that were good quality there and they even got english classes which in that time was rare for public schools. So it totally depends on where and when you go to a public school. 

Is it possible with public schools to get a good life? Sure. But depending on the quality of the public school it will make your life so much harder or easier. And in many cases it makes your life harder.

• Like 4