Chapala.com Webboard

Rice a Roni?

gringal

LOL! I remember coming back from Canada twice a year with a suitcase dedicated only to food items that I couldn't get in Mexico. When you deduct the cost of a roundtrip ticket, it's REALLY cheap in SuperLake. Then again, avocados are really expensive in Canada. Depends on how badly you want something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gringal said:

Someone coming here from the U.S. asked me to find out if Rice a Roni is available around here.  I never ate it myself, but agreed to ask the question.  I checked the Costco site; not there.

You can also tell your friend that there are lots of flavors of packaged instant rices available here from Knorr and others, including noodle types, and in "10 minute" varieties, to which you can easily add ground beef, chicken, etc.

The Mexican equivalent is Sopa Seca or Sopa Fideo. Millions of dishes served every day, rich and poor, hundreds of variations. Basiically a Vermicelli (angel hair) pasta lightly browned in oil or butter, then tomatoes and chiliies to make a stew, dry soup. Excellent with grilled cheese sandwich. Ready in 10 minutes. Hardly any cleanup.

Rice a roni was basically the same thing, except the vermicelli was already toasted. Then quick cooking rice. Was thought to be introduced to the USA by the Lebanese.

So simple. Like asking for a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese because they know of no other way to make it.

• Sad 1

They also have msg. I ,unfortunately, had some yesterday. Today, I have a headache, can't breathe through my nose and my eyes are swollen. Sure tasted good though. And nearly every Campbell's soup with the exception of Tomato also has it.  Some people are lucky not to have to deal with this.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

The Mexican equivalent is Sopa Seca or Sopa Fideo. Millions of dishes served every day, rich and poor, hundreds of variations. Basiically a Vermicelli (angel hair) pasta lightly browned in oil or butter, then tomatoes and chiliies to make a stew, dry soup. Excellent with grilled cheese sandwich. Ready in 10 minutes. Hardly any cleanup.

Rice a roni was basically the same thing, except the vermicelli was already toasted. Then quick cooking rice. Was thought to be introduced to the USA by the Lebanese.

So simple. Like asking for a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese because they know of no other way to make it.

No, that's a different area. I'm talking about this kind of thing:

https://mx.recepedia.com/knorr/products/7506306307209-arroz-a-la-mexicana-knorr/

and ef92166f7f629c88ebe4b107b2f7848daa2f96e0

6 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

No, that's a different area. I'm talking about this kind of thing:

https://mx.recepedia.com/knorr/products/7506306307209-arroz-a-la-mexicana-knorr/

and ef92166f7f629c88ebe4b107b2f7848daa2f96e0

Knorr makes a superior product. We just used some hunter sauce with carnitas that my son brought us from England along with their wild mushroom soup.

12 hours ago, Ferret said:

They also have msg. I ,unfortunately, had some yesterday. Today, I have a headache, can't breathe through my nose and my eyes are swollen.

My youngest daughter never liked Chinese food. I used to think she was just being fussy, but she said it made her feel clammy and sweaty. I finally realized it was the msg.

I don't get a reaction like you or my daughter do, but I get this weird, unpleasant feeling in my jaw and cheeks from it.