Chapala.com Webboard

A little science about those face masks

Note the peer reviewed source:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/

The existing scientific evidences challenge the safety and efficacy of wearing facemask as preventive intervention for COVID-19. The data suggest that both medical and non-medical facemasks are ineffective to block human-to-human transmission of viral and infectious disease such SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19, supporting against the usage of facemasks. Wearing facemasks has been demonstrated to have substantial adverse physiological and psychological effects. These include hypoxia, hypercapnia, shortness of breath, increased acidity and toxicity, activation of fear and stress response, rise in stress hormones, immunosuppression, fatigue, headaches, decline in cognitive performance, predisposition for viral and infectious illnesses, chronic stress, anxiety and depression. Long-term consequences of wearing facemask can cause health deterioration, developing and progression of chronic diseases and premature death. Governments, policy makers and health organizations should utilize prosper and scientific evidence-based approach with respect to wearing facemasks, when the latter is considered as preventive intervention for public health.

Don't shoot the messenger.  Read it and draw your own conclusions.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, next time you are in for a surgical procedure, just explain to the doctors that you don't need them to wear masks since you understand it is no longer medically recommended and it might be uncomfortable for them anyway...Forget the gowns, gloves, and all that hand washing beforehand.  It probably dries out their skin anyway and those gloves just get all messy and they make the hands sweaty.  And those gowns on top of perfectly good clothes?  Please, read an article on the internet if you want the real (Q) truth!

Alan  (being sarcastic)

• Like 12
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, elevator said:

Flu cases dropped 98% Oct-Jan of this year. All the data points to the measures taken to prevent Covid 19 spread. as the reason for the precipitous drop.

Yes, surprise, surprise- wearing masks, distancing and staying home if you feel ill actually prevents the spread of infectious disease. Who'da thunk? Yet we still have people insisting those things don't work.

• Like 4

The link in the OP's first post, is a known hoax website, the clue is the .gov at the end.

A little tip, any website that ends in .gov, generally is unsafe for solid information, hell even Fruadci says to use 2 masks.

I'm from the government, and am here to help and protect you.

5 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Mainecoon’s info will revolutionize the health care industry.  I’m always aghast at the shit he comes up with. 

First, it is not my information.  Second I'm always aghast at how some here just can't resist getting personal. 

A little research on this topic would show one that there is a great deal of discussion and dissent about the efficacy of masks and their health effects when worn for long periods of time.  I realize however if one is more of a covid religionist than a skeptic one will tend to feel angered and threatened by anything that challenges the dogma.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

First, it is not my information.  Second I'm always aghast at how some here just can't resist getting personal. 

A little research on this topic would show one that there is a great deal of discussion and dissent about the efficacy of masks and their health effects when worn for long periods of time.  I realize however if one is more of a covid religionist than a skeptic one will tend to feel angered and threatened by anything that challenges the dogma.

You posted it so you kinda have to take the crap I guess. 

Yes the personal stuff is old.  To many people stuck inside houses worried I guess.  Funny part is TOB does not have near the bad manners that this board has evolved into. 

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Forgive me but I worked all my life in surgery and ICUs all over the US and couldn’t help but laugh at your statements. Don’t take it personally, I laugh at flat earth proponents also.

I made no statement in reference to the original post.  I posted a peer reviewed paper from a government site and suggested only that one draw their own conclusions.  There is plenty more out there on this topic both pro and con.

Assuming one is a proponent of anything for simply posting something about it is jumping to conclusions.

Cats, TOB has run off all the dissenters.  The same folks would like to do that here as well.  It is easy to have "manners" when everyone agrees with you.  It is unfortunate that the holders of a certain ideology just can't handle dissent without getting personal and nasty but that is just how it is these days.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I made no statement in reference to the original post.  I posted a peer reviewed paper from a government site and suggested only that one draw their own conclusions.  There is plenty more out there on this topic both pro and con.

Assuming one is a proponent of anything for simply posting something about it is jumping to conclusions.

Cats, TOB has run off all the dissenters.  The same folks would like to do that here as well.  It is easy to have "manners" when everyone agrees with you.  It is unfortunate that the holders of a certain ideology just can't handle dissent without getting personal and nasty but that is just how it is these days.  

Hmmm ever read Playa posts on TOB but you are right it is mostly people with views close to each other now that I think about it.  IMHO people are much more grumpy here lately even myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What the hell, since I'm going to be hated for questioning the mask religiosity, may as well post this.  Read it at your own risk, I don't want to be responsible for causing death by apoplexy.  :D 

https://townhall.com/columnists/scottmorefield/2020/11/23/face-masks-are-a-religion-now-all-hail-the-almighty-mask-n2580495

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

What the hell, since I'm going to be hated for questioning the mask religiosity, may as well post this.  Read it at your own risk, I don't want to be responsible for causing death by apoplexy.  :D 

https://townhall.com/columnists/scottmorefield/2020/11/23/face-masks-are-a-religion-now-all-hail-the-almighty-mask-n2580495

People react to you because you are strongly opiniated (so am I ) and in a position of authority on this site.  I tried it and gave up along time ago. You are thicker skinned than me.

• Thanks 2

mediabiasfactcheck.com › townhall

Townhall is owned by Salem Media Group, which owns numerous right-leaning Christian-based radio stations across the USA. According to Open Secrets, Salem Media Group donates 100% to Republicans and right-leaning PACS. Online advertising generates revenue for Townhall.

• Thanks 4

Media Bias/Fact Check as an amateur attempt at categorizing media bias and Van Zandt as an "armchair media analyst."[2] The Poynter Institute notes, "Media Bias/Fact Check is a widely cited source for news stories and even studies about misinformation, despite the fact that its method is in no way scientific."[4] Alexandra Kitty, in a 2018 book on journalism, described MBFC as an apparent "amateur/civic outfit" and wrote that its founder's only qualification was a degree in communications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Bias/Fact_Check

The key words "armchair media analyst"

It is an Op Ed, Gringal.  And this piece is definitely over the top but it does make a point.  LOL

I'm of the belief that the key preventative measure is avoiding or minimizing exposure time in the most vulnerable settings.  I limit mask wearing to those situations but the first line of defense is avoiding them as much as possible, with the side benefit of not needing a mask so much.

Here is a good summary of those most likely places to get covid from a source I suspect most here like:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/most-common-places-covid-spreading_l_5fd778cec5b62f31c1ff042b

Everyone seems to have an agenda and favorite narrative these days, Jerry.  :D 

When I used "media bias check" as a reference, I assumed they were not outright lying about who owns Townhall and what they sponsor, and I believe that we can draw certain conclusions from that, alone.  Whenever a poster uses a source with which I'm not familiar, I do a simple Google search of the name of the publication to learn what point of view they are espousing.  There were other paragraphs I could have referred to re the publication's bias.

I don't have the scientific background to judge what we should be doing regarding this current plague, but I'm more inclined to believe Dr. Fauci's statements than those of the Townhall's sources.  Since I'm personally in the highest risk group, I'm playing it as safely as I can.  It's yes to masking, shots, social distancing, etc. for however long it takes.

• Like 2

Well an internet search of the mentioned website returns many hits indicating, at best, a sketchy source.

But good for you to a least do a search, many don't, and simply believe whats before them.

I'm not a scientist, either, rather gather my information from many sources, and make an informed decision, as far as fauci, how many times has he waffled on masking, first it was two weeks to flatten the curve, now, after you get the shot, wear two masks, because one is not enough.

When will he waffle again, for needing a third shot?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I highly suspect that a coronavirus booster is going to be needed annually. Whether or not it gets combined with an annual flu shot, remains to be seen. Whether or not you take it is your choice. It is my preferred choice to do things naturally BUT, until they get a handle on how to properly treat this, I will protect myself. Things are evolving rapidly in terms of treatment. And the virus is also evolving rapidly. Take care.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mexjerry said:

Well an internet search of the mentioned website returns many hits indicating, at best, a sketchy source.

But good for you to a least do a search, many don't, and simply believe whats before them.

I'm not a scientist, either, rather gather my information from many sources, and make an informed decision, as far as fauci, how many times has he waffled on masking, first it was two weeks to flatten the curve, now, after you get the shot, wear two masks, because one is not enough.

When will he waffle again, for needing a third shot?

He is learning, just like everyone, and he doesn't hide or obfuscate or lie when he interprets the latest information. And he starts with a much higher level of knowledge about these things than you or I. Infinitely higher. Trust your scientists. The bottom line may change over time, but at least it is on a educated and knowledgeable path, unlike most armchair critics.

Edited for typo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Covid religionist...now that’s a good line!