Chapala.com Webboard

How many do you know. Deaths from Covid

3 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

.10 is still so rediculously low. 

What an unbelievably heartless attitude. Yeah, 1 person in 100 dying from an infectious disease is such a nothing burger, huh?

And BTW the death rate in Mexico is almost 10%, not 1%. That's 1 out of every 10 people, in case you're math challenged.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

This is such a pathetic thread and the Covid deniers are out in full force. It's not a game and it's not a joke. If you feel so strongly that it is then GO EVERYWHERE AND GO MASKLESS. Just stay the hell away from me because I'm not into Russian Roulette.

It´s worse than pathetic, this person promoting the idea that Covid 19 is a nothing burger.  A blind ostrich with their head in the sand. I think a lot of this nay saying has to do with people putting their financial health ahead of their, or anybody else´s physical health.

But carryon as your reduced activity will help keep your physical health stay in line with your financial health.

You don´t have to die to suffer the effects of the virus, a lot of people have lived through it and their quality of life is a lot less for quite some time. The effects linger on for it seems, forever.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

51 / 50000 = 0.10 percent 

Thanks for the correction.  That also is quite the massive number.  :D 

Wonder what the local death rate is from drug crime?

Lakeside you should know by now that threads like this will drive the covid religionists to fury.  

Lots of data here.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/mexico

and here, this morning:

https://www.vallartadaily.com/coronavirus-in-mexico-april-19-2021-update/

For those of you that insist that we're either "pro" or "anti" (or however you want to describe it all), it really isn't a case of denying what's happening in the world, but seriously questioning how it's being handled and reported. If you have relatives (or are yourself) in the medical field, you know that a LOT of numbers have been manipulated. Folks that were ill with cancer, diabetes, etc, etc, die and are reported as  COVID being the main cause. It wasn't, but it makes for good stats. My sister's BIL died and it was reported as COVID. Ummmm...he was 79, overweight, had diabetes and was already in poor health and close to kicking off when this all hit. COVID was just that last straw. Had it been the flu, he probably would have gone from that. (Sorry if I seem a bit disrespectful of his death; that truly isn't my intention.) For me, I know that this is a super-virus and completely understand that some folks are more vulnerable than others. I will continue to respect your choices and keep my distance, but your issues are not mine. I wear the mask because it's required and I will always respect local regulations; however, the second I'm outside, I rip it off because I think fresh air and sunshine beats the **** out of breathing stale air. When I'm outside, I don't put it back on (walking, riding a bike) until I'm about to go back into an enclosed environment. I take vitamins, exercise, and try to eat a sensible diet (been fat, don't want to go back). I haven't had so much as a sniffle the last two years since I got serious about my health. I understand that many of you have issues that can't be addressed so easily. While some laughed at Mainecoons when he mentioned zinc, vit c, etc, in another post, what does it hurt?  Finally, I have yet to take the shot and I will say this:  for me, it's too soon and there have been a lot of glitches in the production. While every vax has a small percentage of reactions, I don't like what I've seen so far, but understand why others are eager to take it. Just stop calling me an anti-vax or a denier because you don't agree with my decision.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Thanks for the correction.  That also is quite the massive number.  :D 

Wonder what the local death rate is from drug crime?

Lakeside you should know by now that threads like this will drive the covid religionists to fury.  

Lots of data here.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/mexico

and here, this morning:

https://www.vallartadaily.com/coronavirus-in-mexico-april-19-2021-update/

The use of the word religionists is unfair, misleading, and provocative. In response, I label your group with a term I got from another site: vaxholes.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

The use of the word religionists is unfair, misleading, and provocative. In response, I label your group with a term I got from another site: vaxholes.

So, you tell him that using "religionists" is unfair, blah, blah, blah, but then you label a "group" (what effing group???) "vaxholes." Hypocrisy, thy leader is a panda.

As I said, in response. Tit for tat, in this case. You misunderstand the use of the word hypocrisy.

And the "group" refers to those who berate Covid science, who don't believe in Covid science, who ignore Covid science, and who are willing to avoid herd immunity as long as possible by ignoring Covid shots when offered, all in the name of personal freedom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mudgirl said:

What an unbelievably heartless attitude. Yeah, 1 person in 100 dying from an infectious disease is such a nothing burger, huh?

And BTW the death rate in Mexico is almost 10%, not 1%. That's 1 out of every 10 people, in case you're math challenged.

Mudgirl I am not the math challenged one, thats you.  .1 is 1 in a 1000 dead not 1 in a hundred like you claim.  And then later you claim 1 out of 10 Mexicans are dying from Covid.  Is the coastal heat starting to get to you?  

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Mudgirl I am not the math challenged one, thats you.  .1 is 1 in a 1000 dead not 1 in a hundred like you claim.  And then later you claim 1 out of 10 Mexicans are dying from Covid.  Is the coastal heat starting to get to you?  

In fact the death rate of Mexicans WHO GET covid is close to 10 percent, a very high figure.  The data source I cited shows 2.3 million cases and 212,000 deaths.  That is pushing 10 percent.  Clearly the combination of poor general public health and minimal medical facilities is a factor here.  

One in one thousand locally is correct.  As a municipio our population has really out performed the norm in Mexico.  And this despite being exposed to higher infection rates in GDL from our large weekender population.

The point being that when one looks at the history of pandemics, there have been far worse than this.  Keeping things in historical perspective and being skeptical of some of the measures taken with this one that have had extremely adverse personal and economic impacts and have also caused deaths doesn't really fit the label of "denial" the covidly religious like to fling around.  

What concerns me about this one is that it might be a created "bug" as opposed to a natural one and the people who may have been complicit in that happening.  What will they cook up next?

5 minutes ago, Ferret said:

And what will you cook up next? It ain't over yet. Stay tuned.

I am tuned.  Are you?  For example are you aware of the increasing number of vaccinated people showing up with covid?

Stay tuned.  I'm not the cooker but I do like to share stuff that doesn't fit the narrative around here.  That ain't over yet.  :D 

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/toronto-field-hospital-prepares-accept-080000094.html

I would love to read the Wall Street Journal article posted in another thread. The beginning part of that Rupert Murdoch publication already didn't ring right. If someone gets Covid a few days after vaccination, then they already had Covid when they were vaccinated considering the number of days that it takes to show symptoms. That's an important distinction that has not been addressed. In a perfect world, people would be tested first for either antibodies and/or infection before being vaccinated.

10 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I am tuned.  Are you?  For example are you aware of the increasing number of vaccinated people showing up with covid?

Stay tuned.  I'm not the cooker but I do like to share stuff that doesn't fit the narrative around here.  That ain't over yet.  :D 

Getting the covid vaccine is no guarantee you won't get covid. Same as with a flu vaccine. What has been found is that roughly 95% won't get it or if they do the symptoms will not require hospitalization. What's not known is how long the protection is good for nor if new strains will kick those numbers down the road.  On another note...I just learned in  a FB chat with one of our Casa Flores BnB employees from many years ago that her husband, who was our terrific gardener, and her special needs son both have recently died from Covid. They just celebrated their 50th in January with a huge celebration and even a desfile in Ajijic which I viewed on FB. Lupe says everyone in her family got covid except her and everyone but her son and husband had mild cases. RIP Jorge and Pepe. I hope it wasn't from that celebration but...and she had tried her best to get my wife and me to go down for the celebration. She promised us seats at the head table...just as we always got when we were invited to a Mexican function by one of our friends. Wonderful people, each and every one, and we were always treated like royalty when at one of their social functions. In return we treated them, our employees, as part of our family so I guess it was mutual admiration.

For example are you aware of the increasing number of vaccinated people showing up with Covid?

What concerns me about this one is that it might be a created "bug" as opposed to a natural one and the people who may have been complicit in that happening.  What will they cook up next?

What concerns me is when one flings around statements, meant to fortify their 'position' but either have no basis in fact or absolutely no data to back them up. 

Other than pure speculation and seemingly trojan horses, can you put ANY data together for us that would fortify either of these statements as reasonable for discussion? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No dystopian novel or movie I have seen even considered this plague that has accompanied the Covid pandemic: the conspiracy-theorist population that leads to the downfall of civilization, based on their "rights" as individuals. All the stories presume there is a concept of "the common good".

• Like 2