Chapala.com Webboard

Beef Prices

rafterbr

Beef prices are starting to really go up and if you eat  a lot of beef now is a good time to stock up.  Australia use to be the largest exporter of beef in the world.  Due to droughts and bush fires their cattle numbers are really down and now their beef prices are the highest in the world.  It will be years before they build back up again.  With record prices the ranchers cannot afford to keep heifers back to build cattle herds.  It takes 3 years from the time a calf is born until she in turn will have a calf.  Ranchers who were forced to sale their cows now cannot afford to buy them back.  Countries who bought beef from Australia are forced to look for other sources.  This will cause a world wide increase in the price of beef.  Here in Oklahoma prices have already gone up around 20%.  Prices in Mexico will follow the states price lines.

The largest exporter of beef in the world is now Brazil with India second.  A lot of the India meat is water buffalo.  The USA is 3rd and Mexico around 7th and Canada 10th.  Argentina use to be large exporter but now they are close to being importer.  Meat processors in the USA have been making record profits of around $300 for each beef processed.  It will remain to be seen if they will absorb some of these livestock increased prices or not.  There are only 3 main processors in the USA and they have a monopoly on the meat industry.  Congressional investigation is now underway on them but they make large political donations so its "iffy" if anything will be done. 

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

Beef prices are starting to really go up and if you eat  a lot of beef now is a good time to stock up.  Australia use to be the largest exporter of beef in the world.  Due to droughts and bush fires their cattle numbers are really down and now their beef prices are the highest in the world.  It will be years before they build back up again.  With record prices the ranchers cannot afford to keep heifers back to build cattle herds.  It takes 3 years from the time a calf is born until she in turn will have a calf.  Ranchers who were forced to sale their cows now cannot afford to buy them back.  Countries who bought beef from Australia are forced to look for other sources.  This will cause a world wide increase in the price of beef.  Here in Oklahoma prices have already gone up around 20%.  Prices in Mexico will follow the states price lines.

To sell heifers while price is high or build your herd is always a quandary. I've sold many for $75 per hundred and under. Same problem as eating your seed corn or insisting on wild caught salmon. What's the future look like?

I will tell you something I didn't believe to be true, but now I know as a fact. As your body gets leaner and stronger by the day, your tastes change. You crave healthy foods, frozen edame beans, brownrice, quinao bowls all begin to taste delicious, and your body seems to respond. Not propaganda, but based on actual fact

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

I'm still working on that leaner part.  Meaner I got down cold.  :D 

Stronger gets handled with three trips to the gym per week.  

Interestingly I don't like steak near as much as I used to, even the high dollar stuff from Costco.  I greatly prefer chicken and fish and hamburgers and Costco hotdogs over steak.  

Now that is a bit weird I will freely admit.

In the larger view, covid and over population has put the entire supply chain for a lot of stuff, including food, under great stress.  There's just not much slack in the system these days and it is more easily disrupted.

My esposa continues to be a dedicated carnivore, however, at considerable expense.  :D 

• Haha 1

I don't find beef expensive to the point where i would buy more chicken and pork all of which I buy because I like the taste. Our fave stake is Sonora rib eye and we share one. I used to eat a whole one in my younger days. There is one beef price that boggles my mind: an average size beef tongue is about the same price as a whole beef loin. I buy it once in a while anyway even though my wife hates it and makes herself chile[with beef burger] but I like it and so do the dogs.

9 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Well the pricing makes sense. There's a whole lotta cow beef compared to the one tongue that they come with.

There's only one tenderloin too and it's a superior cut. You  make filet mignon from it. So how does the pricing make sense for a 2-3 lb. tongue compared to a 4-5 lb. tenderloin which will feed 12 people? Granted,you can make a whole bunch of tacos from one tongue which is what it's mainly used for here.

14 minutes ago, Ferret said:

There are TWO tenderloins per cow. Pretty much two of everything... except tongue.

Lo siento for my stupidity,yes 2 tenders but that is no explanation about a 2-3lb ofal costing over $300 , the same as a 4-5lb chunk of beef muscle considered the best cut of beef by a lot people.

18 hours ago, geeser said:

To sell heifers while price is high or build your herd is always a quandary. I've sold many for $75 per hundred and under. Same problem as eating your seed corn or insisting on wild caught salmon. What's the future look like?

When I retired from government 25 years ago I started ranching and was getting 50 cents a pound for calves.  Four or 5 years ago I got $1,500 a calf and I thought happy times are here.  Last year I got around $650 a calf and not making much money after expenses.  My expenses are the same whether $1,500 calf or $650 calf.   Prices have started to go back up and maybe I will make some money this year.  I understand in Australia calves are bringing over $1,000 a calf, straight off the cow which is how I sell them.

23 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

When I retired from government 25 years ago I started ranching and was getting 50 cents a pound for calves.  Four or 5 years ago I got $1,500 a calf and I thought happy times are here.  Last year I got around $650 a calf and not making much money after expenses.  My expenses are the same whether $1,500 calf or $650 calf.   Prices have started to go back up and maybe I will make some money this year.  I understand in Australia calves are bringing over $1,000 a calf, straight off the cow which is how I sell them.

25 years ago when feral dogs would kill a calf we figured we just lost $500. The dogs running wild were worse than the coyotes.

I live here in  Chapala and this is where I buy my beef and the only imported beef I bought here was from Canada and the USA and now I  stick to Sonora or the back of a pickup truck delivery at the mercado, for a fresh beef tenderloin. This board is ,as clearly stated,  about the lake Chapala,Guadalajara and Mexico in general. So since the OP by rafterbr and subsequent post be geeser effect none of us one iota can you two not find another board to moan and groan about US,Aussie beef producing, where your like minded persons could give a hoot about. I belong to a BSA a7-a10 group and we don't discuss Triumphs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, happyjillin said:

I live here in  Chapala and this is where I buy my beef and the only imported beef I bought here was from Canada and the USA and

4 hours ago, happyjillin said:

I live here in  Chapala and this is where I buy my beef and the only imported beef I bought here was from Canada and the USA and now I  stick to Sonora or the back of a pickup truck delivery at the meercado, for a fresh beef tenderloin. This board is ,as clearly stated,  about the lake Chapala,Guadalajara and Mexico in general. So since the OP by rafterbr and subsequent post be geeser effect none of us one iota can you two not find another board to moan and groan about US,Aussie beef producing, where your like minded persons could give a hoot about. I belong to a BSA a7-a10 group and we don't discuss Triumphs.

now I  stick to Sonora or the back of a pickup truck delivery at the meercado, for a fresh beef tenderloin. This board is ,as clearly stated,  about the lake Chapala,Guadalajara and Mexico in general. So since the OP by rafterbr and subsequent post be geeser effect none of us one iota can you two not find another board to moan and groan about US,Aussie beef producing, where your like minded persons could give a hoot about. I belong to a BSA a7-a10 group and we don't discuss Triumphs.

You are sadly mistaken if you think the price of beef lakeside will not be effected by the prices in Australia and up North.  We live in a world economy now and with the current world prices I expect Mexico will start exporting more beef with prices in Mexico rising accordingly.  If you read my article it was intended as an advisory that people lakeside may want to stock up on beef before prices rise.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Tell us more about how you are buying the Sonoran beef, Pedro.  Does the guy come at a certain time and day?  Is it tender?

It is better than the US imported and that includes the overpriced Costco. Ya can cut it with a fork!-jaja! I buy 2-3 ribeyes at a time and don't need someone passing negative total BS shortages and stocking up and don't have a giant freezer anyhow!-SNORK!

11 hours ago, happyjillin said:

It is better than the US imported and that includes the overpriced Costco. Ya can cut it with a fork!-jaja! I buy 2-3 ribeyes at a time and don't need someone passing negative total BS shortages and stocking up and don't have a giant freezer anyhow!-SNORK!

OK so tell us from whom exactly and how you buy this beef.  Does he come daily, weekly, what time of day and how do we find him?

15 hours ago, ibarra said:

Sonoran rib- eye are available at Los 3 Butchery.  We buy it there and happyjillin has posted that they buy it there too.

los3butchery@gmail.com  Carretera Oriente 117c La Floresta, Ajijic 11-5,  376 688 4142

The store is located in Ajijic not la Floresta on the lateral about 2-3 doors east of the Telmex office. They open after 11am. As well as Sonora and imported steaks they have the best baby back ribs I've ever had. whole muscovi ducks and breasts.,pork butt steaks by order, Berlin and el Alemann sausages,cheeses and more.

15 hours ago, ibarra said:

Sonoran rib- eye are available at Los 3 Butchery.  We buy it there and happyjillin has posted that they buy it there too.

los3butchery@gmail.com  Carretera Oriente 117c La Floresta, Ajijic 11-5,  376 688 4142

I am unclear on the location.  Is in by La Floresta or is it in Ajijic?

43 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

The store is located in Ajijic not la Floresta on the lateral about 2-3 doors east of the Telmex office. They open after 11am. As well as Sonora and imported steaks they have the best baby back ribs I've ever had. whole muscovi ducks and breasts.,pork butt steaks by order, Berlin and el Alemann sausages,cheeses and more.