Chapala.com Webboard

Mixing vaccines for Covid

cedros

Some people I know had the Sinovac vaccine about a month ago. While waiting for their 2nd Sinovac vaccince they got a different vaccine instead. I can not find any good information that this mixing should be done or not. Any ideas out there?

46 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Sounds like they are in a candy store,   mix & match. Why make a "controversial " subject more complicated , or maybe  they like being  ginepigs?

47 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Sounds like they are in a candy store,   mix & match. Why make a "controversial " subject more complicated , or maybe  they like being  ginepigs?

Why indeed but they are doing it and suggest I do the same.

45 minutes ago, cedros said:

Some people I know had the Sinovac vaccine about a month ago. While waiting for their 2nd Sinovac vaccince they got a different vaccine instead. I can not find any good information that this mixing should be done or not. Any ideas out there?

I think it is  like everything about Covid19: no one really knows for sure. It may be just fine but it might not. Probably worst case scenario is that it would  not be as effective. 
What is their reasoning for doing it and suggesting you do the same?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Google can get a good source for  this question..

look at reliable   medical sources for opinions ..

one site - Cleveland Clinic   which is a reliable source of info - essentially says - do not mix ..

Do You Have to Get the Same COVID-19 Vaccine or Can You Mix Shots? – Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic

The reason they give for not mixing is “”The safety and effectiveness of mixed vaccines has not be studied and more research is needed.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Xena said:

I think it is  like everything about Covid19: no one really knows for sure. It may be just fine but it might not. Probably worst case scenario is that it would  not be as effective. 

The reason is the Mexicans are so disorgaized no one knows when the second Sinovac will happen. It is already overdue. Poor communication.

29 minutes ago, cedros said:

The reason is the Mexicans are so disorgaized no one knows when the second Sinovac will happen. It is already overdue. Poor communication.

Looks like you can take your chances on getting the second shot late or not at all. Or you can take your chances getting a different vaccine for your second shot. Like everything else about this pandemic we are left to make the best decision we can on limited and/or conflicting information. Best of luck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cedros said:

I know of nobody who even had the opportunity.

14 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

The opportunity to what? Have the first or second?

31 minutes ago, Floradude said:

So, is this link saying that we will not get our second Sinovac shot next week at Ajijic as we were told when we picked up our Combprobante de Vacunacion Contra La Covid-19?

No it is not saying that but it is possible.

17 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

Could mixing COVID vaccines boost immune response?

Combining different coronavirus shots could speed immunization campaigns — and even boost immune response.

If only we knew the answer.

A friend from San Juan Cosala had the Sinovac vaccination in mid March. Then she flew to the US. She had an antibody test there and it showed none. So she had the J and J vaccine in the US. She then had a strong reaction she thought that was the J and J  producing antibodies. Now she has antibodies.

So a month after having the Sinovac vaccine. I wondered if if was working. The lab by Soriana would not give me an antibody test to check if the vaccine was producing antibodies. They said I had to have the second vaccine beofre they would test for antibodies. As I had to pay in advance they gave me an antigetn test that showed I did not have Covid. The questions remains does the Sinovac vaccine produce antibodies.

3 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

The rule states you can not get a first vaccination then go get another first vaccination of another make or place and recieve a 2 jab comprobante for both vaccinations because you did not follow the rules. You will only get a comprobante for 1 jab. You have to go for the second jab when and where they tell you only.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 4:23 PM, Xena said:

After receiving the first vaccine in Mexico they had an antibody test done in the US and there was no trave of antibodies.

Basically most experts are saying that trying to determine if the vaccine is working by an antibody test is a waste of time.....

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) discourages antibody testing for assessing immunity after getting the vaccine.

A vaccinated person is very likely to get a negative result from a serology test, even if the vaccine was successful and protective. That’s because different serology tests detect antibodies to different parts of the virus.

Some tests detect antibodies to the spike protein of the virus, which are produced in response to viral infection or the vaccine. Others detect antibodies to a different part of the virus called the nucleocapsid protein, which are produced in response to infection, but not by the current vaccines.

“Don’t try to second-guess the vaccine. Just get vaccinated,” said Sarah Fortune, chair of the department of immunology and infectious diseases at Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

In clinical trials, the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines were shown to protect people against the virus 95 percent of the time and 94 percent of the time, respectively. But that does not mean everyone who gets the vaccine would test positive for antibodies.

Commercial antibody tests may not be searching for the same antibodies that the vaccine triggers. Someone who has had the vaccine and is immune to the virus may still test negative for certain antibodies.

• Thanks 2

On 4/17/2021 at 4:56 PM, cedros said:

Maybe do the first and second Sinovac and later a RNA type like Pzier or Moderna.

I doubt it. At least from the Mexican government for free. After in Oct. when private companies can purchase vaccines then it will be possible.

As our second Sinovac vaccine dosage was past the original projected due date we contacted our local doctor here in Ajijic and also a highly respected doctor in Guadalajara who we have had dealings with previously.  We asked if we would run any "medical" risk if we were to go ahead and obtain an injection of a different vaccine.

The doctors advised that we would run zero risk in obtaining a second shot and further, if the receipt of our second Sinovac vaccine was further delayed it might totally eradicate the initially expected benefit.  In discussion, yes it might not be a "tested procedure" but, in reality one should expect that an injection of any of the "known and most used" vaccines would likely place us in a better position, than we were at that point in time. 

It's now been six weeks since we received our first shot of Sinovac.  

However, the action that we've since taken was a personal decision after seeking professional advice and.......not paying attention to the varied ramblings by many (such as in the this forum) who know absolutely nothing about what they're talking about.