Chapala.com Webboard

Tinaco Water

Over a year ago, we put a new tinaco on the roof of our casa.  We returned to the states planning to come back to Mexico in 6 months.  Covid prevented this but we are now vaccinated and ready for return.  My concern is the water in the tinaco is now over a year old.  We have a gardener and he has been watering the garden but I am sure this water comes directly from the aljibe.  I wonder if the water in Riberas is treated in any way, if not I am afraid the water in the tinaco will be full of algae and other pollutants.  Any suggestions?

• Sad 1

Think about how hot the water gets at this time of the year and especially so if your tinaco is black. Now think about what living anything might survive in that water. Dirt (which is in abundance in the water in Riberas) will be there for sure. Clean your tinaco out once a year.

• Thanks 1

Excellent advice from all.  Now does someone have name and phone number of someone to clean it.  From the aljibe one line goes to outside faucet and T's to go to Tinaco so I believe the garden water doesn't come from Tinaco but I am sure you are right the Tinaco and aljibe need to be cleaned.

11 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

someone to clean it. 

Most likely the gardener can handle it, or would know someone who can.      Dump, scrub, rinse, fill tank and lines with some water / cloro mix, clean water rinse / drain lines again, good to go.

• Like 1

Make sure you hire someone with a bit of experience. Our Handyman would' t clean the abanile because the sides were collapsing, and did't someone to get trapped. Our gardener was less concerned about that, he did' t want someone to be overwhelmed with chlorine gas. If ammonia and chlorine mix, they create a deadly gas and explosion. He charged 1,500 pesos and did a good, thorough job, and cleaned up the after mess. PM for his # if you want to. He speaks only Spanish, but wife and I both think he understands more English than he lets on.

I use JP Home Services. Contact Jurgen at 331-841-4159 and he will organize it. His guys arrive with a pump to empty both the aljibe and the tinaco quickly to the street or wherever you want it used. Three guys showed up to do mine and they were done in a few hours. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I use JP Home Services. Contact Jurgen at 331-841-4159 and he will organize it. His guys arrive with a pump to empty both the aljibe and the tinaco quickly to the street or wherever you want it used. Three guys showed up to do mine and they were done in a few hours. 

Do you remember how much they charged?  Gracias

14 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Excellent advice from all.  Now does someone have name and phone number of someone to clean it.  From the aljibe one line goes to outside faucet and T's to go to Tinaco so I believe the garden water doesn't come from Tinaco but I am sure you are right the Tinaco and aljibe need to be cleaned.

I cleaned my own but most plumbers will do it. Water from my tinaco only goes to the house usually. water from my aljibe waters the garden by gravity (it is a long, steep property)  Water to my tinaco does not come from my aljibe but directly from the fraccionamiento. I have a purification system.

12 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Your outside garden facet comes from your underground alijibe? Where is the gravity water presure? Our outside facets come from our rooftop tinaco.

7 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

Your outside garden facet comes from your underground alijibe? Where is the gravity water presure? Our outside facets come from our rooftop tinaco.

There's no standard set up. Maybe his place has a pump from the aljibe to the garden hose faucet.

One of my outside faucets is fed by the city water, the other comes from my tinako. Water from the aljibe pumps up to the tinako.

One of my neighbors is on a well and has a pressure pump directly from the well to the house, no tinako at all.

Another neighbor has no aljibe- the tinako fills with the city water pressure and there's another tinako at ground level used to water the garden.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

My aljibe has a pump.  When we first bought casa it did not have a tinaco.

2 hours ago, rafterbr said:

My aljibe has a pump.  When we first bought casa it did not have a tinaco.

Most of my property is about 60 or 70 feet below my aljibe         equals  gravity. I have a subermersible pump and a regular pump for my aljibe but they are rarely used  

5 hours ago, happyjillin said:

my 2 outside hookups[hose taps] and the sink in my workshop are all on a pipa directly from the street. there is a t in the pipa just outside my wall and the main line into the house goes to the tinaco and used to also fill the aljibe before we filled that in.