Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart at it again.... or still?

14 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

I worked in department stores. Emplyee theft is massive.

I don't doubt it, but the open boxes of Pop Tarts and half-empty Cokes that you specifically referenced are far more likely due to unsupervised kids in the store.  I have seen kids open all sorts of boxes in stores, take bites out of fruits.  Have seen adults open boxes of OTC meds and band-aids, take the few they need, put the box back on shelf.  

6 hours ago, Ferret said:

Or as my mother would say "count the pennies and the dollars will accumulate".

Obviously from the same generation..... where I also heard VERY often growing up " ...take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves"......  😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I don't doubt it, but the open boxes of Pop Tarts and half-empty Cokes that you specifically referenced are far more likely due to unsupervised kids in the store.  I have seen kids open all sorts of boxes in stores, take bites out of fruits.  Have seen adults open boxes of OTC meds and band-aids, take the few they need, put the box back on shelf.  

Keeping in mind that the vast majority of workers in these stores are kids.

4 hours ago, Natasha said:

1998 good enough for you?

LOL.....by 1998 I had already lived in this area 20 years

Here is a quiz for all the people who like to brag about their longevity here.  Before Walmart and Soriana, there were 2 big supermercados here with a lot of floor space....What was their name, where were they located and who was the owner?  They sold everything that was available in Mexico at the time legally, and if they didn´t have it, you had to make a border run.  The owner, a local, became a self made millionaire. (in USD)

No cheating Andy P., cause I know you can get the help to find out . 😀

I´m also am old enough to remember when I would spend $300,000.00 pesos in one of those stores to feed a family of 6 or 7 for a week.  That´s right folks, three hundred thousand pesos, and that makes watching the ringing up and getting change even more difficult.   Every body has it as easy as "falling off a log" nowadays.

And then the peso was corrected. Can't answer your question about the stores slainte39 because I've only lived in this area since 2011. Before that nine years in San Miguel de Allende followed by six years in San Pancho, Nayarit. I did spend two weeks here on a scouting mission in January of 1996 though, just never made it to a grocery store. It wasn't on my list of questions. How stupid is that.

18 hours ago, Ferret said:

Because the shopper just "paid" for the cashier's "purchase"?

You are not making sense...The cashier would not have the receipt, so if he/she walked out of the store with the "purchase", is that not stealing and a crime??? Why go through this rigmarole....just shoplift the item!!! 

By the way, before someone puts up one of those stupid "confused" or "sad" faces, this has to do with a poster saying  "I actually had one scan something he had hidden, into my list." and I said "Just how would this benefit the cashier?" 

On a couple of occasions in the last 10 years and when we had baggers, I have paid with my credit card but had no change for the bagger. On those occasions, I have deliberately bought chocolate bars and handed them to the bagger. I doubt that they ever had to show proof of purchase before consuming them.

12 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Here is a quiz for all the people who like to brag about their longevity here.  Before Walmart and Soriana, there were 2 big supermercados here with a lot of floor space....What was their name, where were they located and who was the owner?  They sold everything that was available in Mexico at the time legally, and if they didn´t have it, you had to make a border run.  The owner, a local, became a self made millionaire. (in USD)

No cheating Andy P., cause I know you can get the help to find out . 😀

I remember one on the corner of Morelos & Madero where the furniture store is, and one on Hidalgo more or less where Santander is. The butcher in the Madero location liked to buy & sell black market goods. 

12 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Of course many people have been here longer. This was only a reply to TelsZ4 who directed that comment specifically to me.

IF I remember correctly, when Soriana opened here, it actually was a Gigante..... which was a far superior store all over Mexico, but at some point was bought out by Soriana.

I do know there had been a large privately owned supermarket at the traffic light SE corner in Chapala (and another branch in Ajijic?) but  it was closed before we arrived after the tragic incident involving father and son....... and stayed vacant for quite a while after.

17 hours ago, Natasha said:

Obviously from the same generation..... where I also heard VERY often growing up " ...take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves"......  😄

Actually that's the saying my mum used but she was a Brit. I changed it to clarify for those who would want to know how extra weight was involved with the saving of pennies. LOL.

3 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Actually that's the saying my mum used but she was a Brit. I changed it to clarify for those who would want to know how extra weight was involved with the saving of pennies. LOL.

I thought of that after.....  but in Canada it was what people said. Brain teasers are good for all when things get boring 😄

6 hours ago, gringohombre said:

The cashier would not have the receipt, so if he/she walked out of the store with the "purchase", is that not stealing and a crime??? 

Why do you assume the cashier would walk out of the store with it? It could be something they'd just eat while in the store. And even if they walked out with it, it's already been scanned, so wouldn't set off any alarms. I've never been asked to show my receipt when walking out of any store but Costco.

11 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Why do you assume the cashier would walk out of the store with it? It could be something they'd just eat while in the store. And even if they walked out with it, it's already been scanned, so wouldn't set off any alarms. I've never been asked to show my receipt when walking out of any store but Costco.

I am quite often stopped leaving Walmart and a security guard checks my receipt.

• Haha 1