Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart at it again.... or still?

I always watch change and receipts, and haven't had problems for a while. BUT... last week 2 things overcharged ( 1 x 6, 1 x 1) at register. Went to service desk. Before, they used to make a bill deal of checking price on shelves. This time the "6 of" was checked via their computer at the desk, the other accepted without checking. Cash refunded.

This week.... SAME ( 6 of) price one on shelf, price two at register. Service desk again. Not even a question..... simply asked "how many" and gave me the refund.

In both cases, people behind were anxious so I could not hang back to watch the screen as items entered...... trying to bag as fast as I could instead

SEPARATE:  Both weeks was short-changed at the cash register (lots of coin each time).  When I made an issue of counting change, cashier each time already had the missing 10 pesos in her fist, ready to return if questioned.

Eyes and ears open out there!! Last week I "forgave".... gouging the visitors?  This week.... fool me twice?.........  NOT!!

• Like 2

Possibly because it is a 1 in thousands event. I'm sure you aren't suggesting that Walmart is conspiring to make pricing errors and telling it's cashiers to cheat customers. 

It can happen at any store in the world that uses scanned pricing. You can get shortchanged at any store in the world when paying in cash. 

Based on your comment people just should stop shopping anywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Possibly because it is a 1 in thousands event. I'm sure you aren't suggesting that Walmart is conspiring to make pricing errors and telling it's cashiers to cheat customers. 

It can happen at any store in the world that uses scanned pricing. You can get shortchanged at any store in the world when paying in cash. 

Based on your comment people just should stop shopping anywhere. 

No, that wasn't my meaning. I don't think Walmart has some policy of short changing customers, but they are well known for paying low wages and hiring part time so they don't have to pay employee benefits. So they attract cashiers who keep back change hoping you won't notice, and that's a store I won't patronize. And no, all stores don't have scammer employees, because many businesses treat their employees well and attract a higher class of workers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

No, that wasn't my meaning. I don't think Walmart has some policy of short changing customers, but they are well known for paying low wages and hiring part time so they don't have to pay employee benefits. So they attract cashiers who keep back change hoping you won't notice, and that's a store I won't patronize. And no, all stores don't have scammer employees, because many businesses treat their employees well and attract a higher class of workers.

Workers are free to ply their skills anywhere here. I have had very good service from the cashiers at Walmart. Yes, as someone else here said, there are "bad apples" everywhere. If you use a credit card the problem that concerns you will be solved. If you use cash, as I prefer, a simple counting of your change will resolve this situation. I think that the OP's concern was mostly about "specials" posted on shelves and not recognized at the checkout register...this is not a checker problem. This is indicative of any large institution such as Walmart, and the section managers not coordinating with the finance department to enter the info into the system. Again, it is up to you to check your receipt, and dispute this at the customer service desk. As the OP relates, this can be resolved almost immediately. Life is not simple...but it is great...just keep your eyes open!!! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Have you ever given any thought to the qualifications these check out people  may have..I would suggest  you get short changed  more frequently by the Gasliqudio guys..nobody  is forced to work at WM are they?

• Like 2

Sad fact is Walmart is more than capable of not having these issues.

There system updates constantly. There computer system for items in a store is only beaten in computer system by the US Dept of Defence.

They know at the computer center within minutes of your purchase there is that many less in that store.

They even monitor weather and if they see a Storm is going to effect an area the computer system, not the managers, automatically adjusts orders for that or those stores like shipping large quantities of batteries, water, etc.

It's the same at other stores.

I buy at Soriana and using their loyalty card my exact receipt is in my Soriana app within minutes.

If you buying a lot it is very hard to keep up with what's being charged much less that I can remember the prices on everything.

They have the ability to make sure your charged correctly with these systems I am sure.

I did a little self experiment a few months ago. For a few months I was playing with a barcode app and what I did was scan every single thing I bought. I later compared it to my receipt. (Soriana)

There was always at least one or two items off at every trip. Not one time was it in my favor.

You start to think how many people go through these stores a day and let's just say it's 10 pesos for every customer that is thousands a day.

• Like 1

I don't think our WalMart is quite up to snuff with the US inventory system. If it is then there are still managers putting their mitts on things, because there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of items that are not replenished as they should be. You can go to Soriana and find plenty of what you can't find "today" at WalMart, so I don't believe it's a stocking/delivery issue with providers.

And there does seem to be a spate of cashier "thefts" right now. I actually had one scan something he had hidden, into my list. But when you are buying 30 or 40 items, and have to bag your own away from the cash screen, how can you seriously review every purchase? Even if you watch, the number of double and triple swipes, look ups, and flubs makes it impossible. I try to stand there after, going over the bill, but the shorthand for a lot of the stuff is very difficult to figure out.

In a perfect world, what you order is what you receive. Even in Canada, that is not always the case and errors can occur from the shipping end. Lots of ways to screw up.

I pay with my credit card and that solved the problem (for me) of being shortchanged. BTW, being short changed also happens in both Oxxo and the 711 (now closed).

Haven't been to Walmart in many months, but when we went we used cc's, so change was never an issue. 

My few 'short' change experiences around Ajijic are equal to my 'over' change experiences.  It cuts both ways.  

I would add that many expats use grocery/drug stores as their 'banks.'  I am often behind someone making a 40p purchase and paying with a 500p bill.  

Once every month or two, after I hit the ATM at Bancomer which spits out mostly 500p notes, I go inside and ask for cambio chico.  Mexican banks are required by law to make change for anyone (I do not have a Bancomer account).  They break it down any which way I want it...from 200p to 20p notes;  I usually have 5000 in 500p notes broken down at one time.  And it's not like I'm leaving their cash registers devoid of small bills for the next customer (as those at stores often do).  I've never waited more than 10 minutes to get the cambio chico--and with the hot weather, sitting in their a/c is a welcome respite!

The closer your payment is to the amount of your purchase, the less chance of an over or under change at any retailer.  

• Like 1

It’s the usual paranoid expats who see a scam in everything here in Mexico.. 

Maybe it’s me but I couldn’t even understand her post. (1x6, 1x1 at the register ???????  Not that I really tried that hard anyway..

My self I don’t think I could ever remember the shelf price of every item and then cross reference it against the till receipt.. 

I wonder if they do that when the error is in their favor,  Or do they just walk out say “Yeah I’ve just scammed Walmart..

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Mudgirl:  I only shop there once a week, for a specific set of things I can't get elsewhere. When possible I prefer to deal with locals. We were here LONG before  either Walmart or Soriana arrived, and saw first hand the effect they had on small businesses  in the municipality. For that matter, don't belong/go to Costco either!

Gringohombre said:.....I think that the OP's concern was mostly about "specials" posted on shelves   No!  It was normal items I buy every week (in the case of the 6 pces)

Some people said:  (in effect)  only use your credit card.  I NEVER use my  CC  for purchases in Mexico (for what I consider good reasons)   Cash is always my choice... your choice is up to you.

Ferret:  I always tell a cashier anywhere if they've given me too much change.  Honor works both ways......

My intention was only to alert people. This doesn't need to turn into a complicated philosophical  issue. Thanks to all.

• Like 1

Thank you AP.  .....paranoid expat(s)....... I definitely am not. 23 years here, Mexican citizen since 2007, and linving entire time in totally Mexican neighbourhoods, knowing and helping/ working with  Mexican neighbours and friends  has definitely put me on the other side of that fence.

The person who called me that obviously doesn't live on the same side of said fence.  'Nuff said.

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

I only shop there once a week, for a specific set of things I can't get elsewhere. When possible I prefer to deal with locals. We were here LONG before  either Walmart or Soriana arrived, and saw first hand the effect they had on small businesses  in the municipality. For that matter, don't belong/go to Costco either!

Yes, I also like to patronize the local mom and pop stores. Those folks never rip you off because they want to keep your business.  A Walmart cashier couldn't care less whether you ever come back.

I do go to Costco. They don't have discrepancies between the pricing on the shelves and at the register, their customer service is fine, they pay and treat their employees well, and that is evident as far as the employees' attitude and intelligence level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

I don't think our WalMart is quite up to snuff with the US inventory system. If it is then there are still managers putting their mitts on things, because there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of items that are not replenished as they should be. You can go to Soriana and find plenty of what you can't find "today" at WalMart, so I don't believe it's a stocking/delivery issue with providers.

And there does seem to be a spate of cashier "thefts" right now. I actually had one scan something he had hidden, into my list. But when you are buying 30 or 40 items, and have to bag your own away from the cash screen, how can you seriously review every purchase? Even if you watch, the number of double and triple swipes, look ups, and flubs makes it impossible. I try to stand there after, going over the bill, but the shorthand for a lot of the stuff is very difficult to figure out.

I am not understanding your "experience"... "I actually had one scan something he had hidden, into my list." Just how would this benefit the cashier? Or is he just trying to increase Walmart's profits? Does not make sense!!! 

He had a chocolate something-or-other under the counter that he scanned in and popped back out of sight, I presume. And I ended up with a 48p charge on my bill for something I didn't buy. You've seen open boxes of pop tarts, half empty bottles of coke, and various other items tucked away on the wrong shelves of grocery stores. That's employee skimming; this is just a different way to do it.

50 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

You've seen open boxes of pop tarts, half empty bottles of coke, and various other items tucked away on the wrong shelves of grocery stores. That's employee skimming; this is just a different way to do it.

Often customers, usually kids.  Seen it happen.  

Why are so many people addicted to the physical act of shopping? What an annoying and dangerous use of time. Order online with Walmart, neat, conscientous delivery people, give you a full size printout list of your order, phone you in advance if they are out of something, suggest a substitute. Pay with Paypal, instant refund on anything missing. Give a small but generous tip. The system works very well. They just have to work on their website which includes items from all over Mexico. No indication of stock in Chapala.

This is definitely the future. Lots of other new startup\deliveries too. A new sausage and meats place I will tell you about.

5 hours ago, Natasha said:

I only shop there once a week, for a specific set of things I can't get elsewhere. When possible I prefer to deal with locals. We were here LONG before  either Walmart or Soriana arrived, and saw first hand the effect they had on small businesses  in the municipality. For that matter, don't belong/go to Costco either!

Are you sure as you claim  you were here before Walmart. ?  Because I was.

And I’ve seen how much this town has prospered since Walmart opened its doors here. They have supplied jobs to hundreds of young people who had very little chance of finding employment at Lakeside before. There are more mom & pop stores here now than before Walmart opened. Regardless if you like  Walmart or not they given  a great economic boost to this area...

• Like 3