Chapala.com Webboard

Appliance Recycling

MtnMama, you are absolutely correct.  I should have posted more information about him.  Its just that his name pops up so frequently on this forum I figured most people had heard of him or could at least do a forum search.  He is many people's preferred home appliance repair guy.  He is considered by many to be very honest and the best guy to go to get fridges and washing machines and such things fixed.  In the past 10 years we have had two dishwashers go out on us, or I should say their computer board.  Once the computer board goes out, its almost impossible to get that repaired down here.  So we finally gave up on the modern dish washers and asked Gualberto if he knew where to get an older, straight up mechanical dish washer, and he found us one two days later.  It works great and have had zero problems with it.  We figured that with the older mechanical ones, if they break down, they can usually be repaired fairly easily.

Well here is his phone number for anybody who is interested in Gualberto.  33110265450

If Gualberto doens't want it, and IF you don't live in a gated compound (doubt they'd he allowed in) , there are old pick-up trucks with built-up "cages" that regularly circulate in neighbourhoods asking with loudspeakers for your old stuff--- washers, driers, stoves, and any other metals ( and other recyclables?). They will take it off your hands. When you hear them coming just run outside and wave!

11 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

.  Once the computer board goes out, its almost impossible to get that repaired down here

I don't have dishwasher, but the motherboard on my washing machine died. Motherboards don't get repaired, you have to buy a new one. 

The repairman told me that motherboard wasn't available anywhere in Mexico. I found a guy selling new motherboards for that machine on Mercado Libre in 5 minutes, had it delivered and changed it out myself.  

So I spent 2000 pesos on a new motherboard, as opposed to 6000 pesos or more on a new machine.

29 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Mudgirl, that is amazing you were able to do that yourself.  For me, Seriously, I would have no idea where to begin.  But I can tell a repairman in fluent rapid Spanish what I need done.  We all have our different talents.

I am lucky to have inherited my dad's mechanical engineer brain.

But really, there was nothing to it. I opened the panel where the motherboard is (had to watch a youtube video) took a photo of it, then compared it to the photo on Mercado Libre. It was identical (and the seller had a list of which machine models it fit). The board itself just has a bunch of little push-in, pull out, color-coded connections, nothing soldered. As long as you get them back in the right spot, which wasn't an issue, as I had taken a photo before pulling the old one, it is really quite simple- took 5 minutes, then another 10 maybe to screw the panels back in place.

But my point was really that just because a repairman tells you something can't be fixed, or they can't get a part, that's not necessarily true. And if you aren't comfortable with trying to change a part yourself, you can always ask the repairman to do it.