Chapala.com Webboard

Plant-based Burgers

Bisbee Gal

I'd like to give them a try; want to see if the hype is believable.  The one getting a lot of press is Beyond Meat/Beyond Burger.

Any local eateries serving them?

If you buy and cook at home....recommendations for brand, local retailer, feedback on quality/flavor? 

Gracias in advance.  

9 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I'd like to give them a try; want to see if the hype is believable.  The one getting a lot of press is Beyond Meat/Beyond Burger.

Any local eateries serving them?

If you buy and cook at home....recommendations for brand, local retailer, feedback on quality/flavor? 

Gracias in advance.  

Beyond Meat is the brand.  Two vegetarian members of my family love them as well as the carnivores.  Costco always has them, so suppose the local grocers that supply from Costco might have them.

The several local restaurants that prioritize vegetarian/vegan fare is where I would start looking.

mudgirl has promised not to "wise up" Wendy´s......😀

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lily H said:

Water, Pea Protein*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Butter, Mung Bean Protein, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Pomegranate Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Beet Juice Extract (for color).

OH,it's so much healthier than real meat I say sarcastically.

• Like 2

How much sodium?

...and to think plain old hamburger has nothing in it other than beef, with your choice of how much fat, and your choice of how much sodium, etc.  Hmmmm.  I think I'll just make a fairly low fat beef burger once in a while, as per usual.😉

• Like 1

I regularly buy both the Beyond Meat and Don Farms (?) veggie burgers from Costco. The Beyonds are actually very close to regular burgers and the DF ones are just really nice tasting patties that aren't trying to be burger, but a nice patty. If you do it right, you can crumble the Beyonds patties into crumbles for a taco salad or...  While I haven't gone completely vegetarian (close), it's nice to have something that is quick to make and pretty tasty for when others are biting into burgers. Since I don't salt any of my food unless absolutely necessary (and that's rare), I don't sweat the sodium. Of course, I also don't eat them at every meal. I guess it just boils down to what your reasons are for eating them. Added note:  having seen a couple of comments that were posted as I was writing this, I should add that my reason is that I am now genuinely turned off by the taste of most meat since I first started eating healthily and exercising regularly over 2 years ago. It's not something that I planned or even wanted, but as my diet changed, my taste buds did, too. Obviously, these are also great for those who are veggie/vegan for ethical reasons.  

On a funny note...I started to abbreviate both products by their initials...and then are realized that Beyond Meat would be BM. Oops.

We like our burgers cooked rare and found out the hard way that is not a good idea in Mexico (severe e-coli). I've read that Beyond Meat cooks up 'rare' in the sense of seeing a red/pink interior.  

And for any who say you won't get E.coli when you have your meat ground from steaks as you watch: nope, that's not a guarantee in Mexico.  There are few health standards in the meat industry here; E.coli can be found on the outside of steaks in the meat case (which ends up in your ground meat).

I can and have lived without a rare burger here since 2008 when I got sick.  Thought I'd try plant-based out of curiosity.  

Evidently the ones from Costco are available at a few expat groceries, so we'll try soon.  

38 minutes ago, gringal said:

How much sodium?

...and to think plain old hamburger has nothing in it other than beef, with your choice of how much fat, and your choice of how much sodium, etc.  Hmmmm.  I think I'll just make a fairly low fat beef burger once in a while, as per usual.😉

It is not perfect yet, but I am glad someone is trying to do something.

Wouldn't it be more logical to cease eating burgers than to be glad that "someone is trying to do something"?  BTW, I seldom eat beef in any form for the reasons others have given about the negative conditions in most butcher shops.  My taste buds have slowly morphed into preferring healthier eating habits in my old age.🙃

7 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

We like our burgers cooked rare and found out the hard way that is not a good idea in Mexico (severe e-coli). I've read that Beyond Meat cooks up 'rare' in the sense of seeing a red/pink interior.  

And for any who say you won't get E.coli when you have your meat ground from steaks as you watch: nope, that's not a guarantee in Mexico.  There are few health standards in the meat industry here; E.coli can be found on the outside of steaks in the meat case (which ends up in your ground meat).

I can and have lived without a rare burger here since 2008 when I got sick.  Thought I'd try plant-based out of curiosity.  

Evidently the ones from Costco are available at a few expat groceries, so we'll try soon.  

Suggesting Mexico is the centre of the universe for RARE burger problems is ludicrous. Most intelligent people gave up RARE burgers years ago after deaths at some burger chains in the US and even as we speak there are constant recalls  on burger meat by packers in  US and Canada . In Canada we stopped eating RARE in the early 80's when the nasty beaver fever was attributed to RARE burger. a burger patty has multi facets unlike a chunk of meat with a visible surface which is cooked enough to kill nasties and is impossible to do the same with the innards of a burger patty when it's done RARE. The key to a juicy WELL COOKED burger patty is plenty of fat ratio.

13 minutes ago, gringal said:

Wouldn't it be more logical to cease eating burgers than to be glad that "someone is trying to do something"?  BTW, I seldom eat beef in any form for the reasons others have given about the negative conditions in most butcher shops.  My taste buds have slowly morphed into preferring healthier eating habits in my old age.🙃

It definitely would make sense, but it is something that, at this stage in life, I don't want to do. And there are billions like me. We live in a meat-eating world, with all its pitfalls.

2 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Suggesting Mexico is the centre of the universe for RARE burger problems is ludicrous. Most intelligent people gave up RARE burgers years ago after deaths at some burger chains in the US and even as we speak there are constant recalls  on burger meat by packers in  US and Canada . In Canada we stopped eating RARE in the early 80's when the nasty beaver fever was attributed to RARE burger. a burger patty has multi facets unlike a chunk of meat with a visible surface which is cooked enough to kill nasties and is impossible to do the same with the innards of a burger patty when it's done RARE. The key to a juicy WELL COOKED burger patty is plenty of fat ratio.

She didn't even suggest that Mexico is the centre of the universe for burger problems. She pointed out a well-known fact about the meat culture here. It is most definitely better up north. Certainly not perfect, but no comparison.

1 hour ago, AndyPanda said:

She didn't even suggest that Mexico is the centre of the universe for burger problems. She pointed out a well-known fact about the meat culture here. It is most definitely better up north. Certainly not perfect, but no comparison.

If you want to discuss well known facts the US  and Canada are on equal footing with Mexico when it comes to meat packing. And a friend recently told me about a huge nasty pork problem in Germany. So where are your FACTS oh anonymouse one?-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

FWIW, while I gave up on beef burgers in MX since I got really sick in 2008, I still get them rare in US when visiting; never a problem there.  I'm not anti-meat and I'm certainly not anti-MX.  Just stating what happened to me.  It took me quite awhile and treatments to get rid of the E.coli (had to have shots as I could no longer swallow water). 

I have been buying and happy with fresh ground pork (from whole pork cuts at El Torito) which I dress as either kimchi burgers or good old cheeseburgers with a lot of toppings.  It doesn't bother me to eat the pork well-done. 

I am willing to experiment with plant-based, which may be a flash-in-the-pan, pun intended :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

If you want to discuss well known facts the US  and Canada are on equal footing with Mexico when it comes to meat packing. And a friend recently told me about a huge nasty pork problem in Germany. So where are you FACTS oh anonymouse one?-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

Sorry, where are yours, mouthy one?

Here's the lowdown from our friend, Google:

https://www.businessinsider.com/impossible-burger-beyond-burger-nutrition-compared-beef-2019-6

As I see it, the biggest issue is with the sodium content, especially for those with conditions that require keeping sodium content low.  Other than that, it's probably a desirable option for those whose ethics require vegetarianism, but enjoy the taste of a hamburger.