Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Totalplay Fiber optic internet


Recommended Posts

A couple of weeks I saw a company putting a fiber backbone in La Floresta.  Looks like they have 10 crews working and do 40 install a day if all goes well.  So I signed up for 100 down and 10 up with a phone.  Saturday they came and installed myself and a neighbor in SE SAT off La Paz.  Well they did a great job and the internet is very very stable. I have both ILOX and Totalplay now.  Totalplay has a rate of 10% up to down while ILOX has a higher upload rate.  So if you are moving large amounts of data UP you would probably prefer ILOX otherwise I prefer Totalplay.  Impressive is they have english speaking teams and all the call they made to me were in english.  The phone is reliable, clear and is part of the cost.  Cost is 629P a month plus a couple hundred for install fees.  They showed care in putting up the wires and didn't just string them everywhere. This service is available in Chapala as fiber comes from Guad. I don't know how far it goes to the west. You can get a discount if you pay for sixth months.  Initial payment is a cash payment for first month and install costs to the techs. Interesting part about the company is that they are a virtual company with no local office.  They do everything over phone, whatsapp, and email.  They have a 40 speed package for 529P but I would pay an extra 100P and get 100 down.  It is owned by the fellow who owns Azteca bank and Azteca TV and lots of other stuff.  This is a gut feel but after being virtually ignored by ILOX it was a pleasure to deal with folks who actually seem to care.   Google Totalplay for info or stop one of the teams in the small little chevy sparks you see runnning around and they can give you info.  Some of the teams have an english speaker and they can call you in english if they know you don't speak spanish.  All the setup is done over the phone.  Just a few questions like  name, location, birthday, address etc etc.  No CFE bills or asking you for non existing things.  The only hard part was spelling in english doesn't cut it in spanish but they stayed with it and the last thing the techs did was to check to make sure they had the info correct. They had my email wrong and fixed it but I can't blame a non native english speaker for having problems and I should learn my letters in spanish.  Remember to tip them as working on the poles and stringing fiber is hot and dangerous. They deserve a decent tip.  We gave each of the two 100P.

I am impressed.  Hope this helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, lcscats said:

A couple of weeks I saw a company putting a fiber backbone in La Floresta.  Looks like they have 10 crews working and do 40 install a day if all goes well.  So I signed up for 100 down and 10 up with a phone.  Saturday they came and installed myself and a neighbor in SE SAT off La Paz.  Well they did a great job and the internet is very very stable. I have both ILOX and Totalplay now.  Totalplay has a rate of 10% up to down while ILOX has a higher upload rate.  So if you are moving large amounts of data UP you would probably prefer ILOX otherwise I prefer Totalplay.  Impressive is they have english speaking teams and all the call they made to me were in english.  The phone is reliable, clear and is part of the cost.  Cost is 629P a month plus a couple hundred for install fees.  They showed care in putting up the wires and didn't just string them everywhere. This service is available in Chapala as fiber comes from Guad. I don't know how far it goes to the west. You can get a discount if you pay for sixth months.  Initial payment is a cash payment for first month and install costs to the techs. Interesting part about the company is that they are a virtual company with no local office.  They do everything over phone, whatsapp, and email.  They have a 40 speed package for 529P but I would pay an extra 100P and get 100 down.  It is owned by the fellow who owns Azteca bank and Azteca TV and lots of other stuff.  This is a gut feel but after being virtually ignored by ILOX it was a pleasure to deal with folks who actually seem to care.   Google Totalplay for info or stop one of the teams in the small little chevy sparks you see runnning around and they can give you info.  Some of the teams have an english speaker and they can call you in english if they know you don't speak spanish.  All the setup is done over the phone.  Just a few questions like  name, location, birthday, address etc etc.  No CFE bills or asking you for non existing things.  The only hard part was spelling in english doesn't cut it in spanish but they stayed with it and the last thing the techs did was to check to make sure they had the info correct. They had my email wrong and fixed it but I can't blame a non native english speaker for having problems and I should learn my letters in spanish.  Remember to tip them as working on the poles and stringing fiber is hot and dangerous. They deserve a decent tip.  We gave each of the two 100P.

I am impressed.  Hope this helps.

How far west? To Jocotepec and the  on to Zapopan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

I think it is great news and they do sound responsible and worthwhile. Just one technical note: they are stringing fiber lines, not backbones. That is quite a different thing.

Yes I was talking about local backbone not central backbone. The type of fiber that goes to your house is different (smaller) from the larger Fiber (Huawei ) that distributes the signal down the streets. Thats all I meant. You can see the new brightly yellow  labeled boxes on the CFE poles and that is where the signal splits and goes to individual houses.  Each box hold eight taps with the ability to be wired up for eight more. ILOX distribution is in the white boxes.  I was a telecom engineer for HP and I guess we used the term differently.  Think of the big fiber as your backbone and the smaller fiber that goes to houses are like your ribs. Anyhoo they were impressive to me and have a real stable signal.  Much more stable than ILOX.  I was having problems with my streaming music dropping out with ILOX 300 down service. But the Totalplay 100 down service never drops a note for 36 hours running.  Impressive!  Note ILOX does offer higher upload speeds to be fair to ILOX.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see how the service holds up after a year, I'm not a big fan of Salinas Pliego, plus the service has way to many charges that can potentially nickle and dime you to death.

If the bill is paid early there's a small discount paid on time regular price, if its paid late there's a 20.00 pesos extra charge. Early cancellation fee (before 9 months) and its almost impossible to cancel,  kind of reminds me of Sky TV here 20 years ago.

Whatever you do don't lose the modem, I believe they charge around  $2000.00 pesos, there used to be a small annual fee as well. I'm sure the service works fine but for those thinking about switching you should take a close look and the T&C before signing the dotted line.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rod.collins said:

It will be interesting to see how the service holds up after a year, I'm not a big fan of Salinas Pliego, plus the service has way to many charges that can potentially nickle and dime you to death.

If the bill is paid early there's a small discount paid on time regular price, if its paid late there's a 20.00 pesos extra charge. Early cancellation fee (before 9 months) and its almost impossible to cancel,  kind of reminds me of Sky TV here 20 years ago.

Whatever you do don't lose the modem, I believe they charge around  $2000.00 pesos, there used to be a small annual fee as well. I'm sure the service works fine but for those thinking about switching you should take a close look and the T&C before signing the dotted line.

Who signed anything? I didn't and my neighbor didn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, lcscats said:

I know the channels I wanted a review of the quality of the picture and sound. Also how many english channels and does he have other languages on an SAP (secondary audio programming].

Andy Panda answered you. All I did was correct MostlyLost's link. Other than that, I have no knowledge of TotalPlay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, lcscats said:

I know the channels I wanted a review of the quality of the picture and sound. Also how many english channels and does he have other languages on an SAP (secondary audio programming].

We ordered the basic tv channel package just to see what it’s like.  It's $200 pesos a month versus $1200 pesos a month we pay for Sky.  I would say the picture and sound quality is better than satellite however there are not any english channels or english subtitles (with the basic package we have). We also have thunderstick for $200 pesos  a month.   Our plan is to ditch Sky when our contract is up and just continue with our thunder stick which now works with our totalplay connection which DID NOT work with our Telmex connection.  We don’t plan to continue with total play tv.  Hope this was helpful for your query.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dostortas said:

We ordered the basic tv channel package just to see what it’s like.  It's $200 pesos a month versus $1200 pesos a month we pay for Sky.  I would say the picture and sound quality is better than satellite however there are not any english channels or english subtitles (with the basic package we have). We also have thunderstick for $200 pesos  a month.   Our plan is to ditch Sky when our contract is up and just continue with our thunder stick which now works with our totalplay connection which DID NOT work with our Telmex connection.  We don’t plan to continue with total play tv.  Hope this was helpful for your query.  

Yes thank you.  Did you happen to try SAP (secondary audio programming)?   Its probably in the manual for the TV.  I have seen it in the Menu and Audio sections quite often.  You turn SAP on and whatever alternative language comes out in the speaker.  In Mexico I have heard English, French and German on SAP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just finished some WIFI testing. Comparing white four port ILOX modem with four port Totalplay modem.  Signal strength is about the same for both units.   However I got 80 down on measured 110 service on Totalplay.   I got about 70 on ILOX unit. Both were using 2400 WIFI  band.  Units are about 25 ft from Chromebook with no walls. My Chromebook is too old to test 5000 band.  Tests were done with the other units WIFI turned off to offer best speed and least WIFI congestion. Will try to do 5000 band next week as I expect it to be faster.  So no Miracles but the service is more stable than ILOX. I have had music playing for 36 hours now and not noticed any meaningful drops. ILOX drops quite often.  I called my Mom in Seattle using my VOIP phone and it was clear and only one glitch for a second during a 30 minute call.  But the phone worked fine on the ILOX system so no difference.  

Hope this helps folks making a decision and thanks for everyone help and comments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had Totalplay installed today.  The installers were actually EARLY!  One spoke perfect English.  They didn't blink when they saw how long our driveway is.....just got right to work.  (Wizz said "No way!") We got the internet/TV/phone package and everything seems to work fine.  Except that now their overly attentive customer service is bugging me on WhatsApp to let them help me port my phone # from Telmex to Totalplay.  I don't want to do that yet.  

It doesn't take much to be better than Telmex, but if you add in the EXCELLENT English speaking customer service, Totalplay is a total winner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, gwynne said:

We had Totalplay installed today.  The installers were actually EARLY!  One spoke perfect English.  They didn't blink when they saw how long our driveway is.....just got right to work.  (Wizz said "No way!") We got the internet/TV/phone package and everything seems to work fine.  Except that now their overly attentive customer service is bugging me on WhatsApp to let them help me port my phone # from Telmex to Totalplay.  I don't want to do that yet.  

It doesn't take much to be better than Telmex, but if you add in the EXCELLENT English speaking customer service, Totalplay is a total winner.

Yea these guys are hungry for business.  Rod brought up some good points about the company and time will tell but so far it looks pretty good.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should be. I download using both Telmex or iLox. iLox is faster than Telmex and TotalPlay is faster than iLox at the same price point. Using iLox (middle tier speed), I downloaded the 10 gigabyte second season of The Golden Girls in forty minutes. FWIW, iLox is much faster in the morning.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2021 at 7:50 AM, lcscats said:

Can anybody comment on the TV service for Total play?  I think the service is called triple play.  I only got double play internet and a phone.

They told me that all were in Spanish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cedros said:

They told me that all were in Spanish.

...and you previously wrote "How far west? To Jocotepec and the  on to Zapopan."  These comments suggest you may have spoken with Total Players, perhaps during your own installation.  Your blurb indicates you're in SJC.  May I ask, AFAYK, does/will TotalPlay serve SJC neighborhoods west of the Racquet Club?  Thanks -

(And I guess this brings up a question I won't ask about the availability of "infill" installations by TP, ILox and others in proximate neighborhoods bypassed during initial build-outs...) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...