Chapala.com Webboard

Official: Chinese vaccines’ effectiveness low

Rick Sanchez

BEIJING (AP) — In a rare admission of the weakness of Chinese coronavirus vaccines, the country’s top disease control official says their effectiveness is low and the government is considering mixing them to get a boost.

The effectiveness of a Sinovac vaccine at preventing symptomatic infections was found to be as low as 50.4% by researchers in Brazil, near the 50% threshold at which health experts say a vaccine is useful. By comparison, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine has been found to be 97% effective.

https://apnews.com/article/beijing-immunizations-chengdu-coronavirus-pandemic-china-675bcb6b5710c7329823148ffbff6ef9

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In the past 6 months China has done its best to hype its own vaccines while denigrating proven ones like Pfizer in social media smear campaigns.  

This admission by the head of China's CDC is astounding and alarming, especially for those countries who relied on them. 

If he made this announcement without the approval of Chinese government his life could be in danger.  China is not a fan of those who don't toe the party line.   

I know that Pfizer is difficult to spell and that I will be getting my second "Pfizer-BioNtech Covid-19 Vaccine" shot this coming Tuesday, some 24 days after the first shot. My doctor, up here in Seattle, recommended that i take the the Pfizer Vaccine shots. 

The documentation showed that it is called the  Pfizer-BioNtech Covid-19 Vaccine, not the Pfizer vaccine for some reason :)  Not that it really matters. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

You really think someone is going to waltz in here and offer you a choice, do you?

Please don't  tell me you have the same feeling as BMH said on a related observation on the Chinese vaccine.."better than nothing " incredible that folks here are willing  to put up with crap when your health  is involved. I wonder how many at Lakeside  have the same feeling! 

Yes, I do. See my follow up. You belong to a very, very small group of people here. We can tell from your posts you are never going to be happy with anything. Like I said, by refusing a shot you are simply adding to the problem. Because you could have been vaccinated and most likely become safe to be around. But now you are not safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Please don't  tell me you have the same feeling as BMH said on a related observation on the Chinese vaccine.."better than nothing " incredible that folks here are willing  to put up with crap when your health  is involved. I wonder how many at Lakeside  have the same feeling! 

Well me, for one!!!

I would rather be with the 50% of Brazilians it helped than the 0% it helped, of the people waiting for whatever.  It´s like they overheard one Covid virus talking to another, and saying, "don´t stop here because they are waiting for a different vaccine".

Bisbee Gal probably wouldn´t take Pfizer if it was produced in China just because it´s Chinese.  Her denigration of the Chinese far outweighs her concern of the vaccines.  China is there, they have their form of government, like it or not, and that is not going to change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I  caught this virus back in December 2019 ; while visiting a high end restaurant in the jungles of Tepic, Nayarit; I felt the burning in my nose. went to my local Ahorro Pharmacy  - they gave me a bottle of zinc and vitamin  C  ; case closed.  What's all the humbug about ?,  with these vaccines; Oh;  Oh   I get it !  it's all about the Benjamins ----HA.

P.S. Back in 1968, me; headed to Vietnam, courtsey of the U.S. Army, I got injected with every vaccine  known to man;  I think i'm  good ; HA !

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bobby brown said:

I  caught this virus back in December 2019 ; while visiting a high end restaurant in the jungles of Tepic, Nayarit; I felt the burning in my nose. went to my local Ahorro Pharmacy  - they gave me a bottle of zinc and vitamin  C  ; case closed.  What's all the humbug about ?,  with these vaccines; Oh;  Oh   I get it !  it's all about the Benjamins ----HA.

You lucked out - you were not among the 30% of Covid survivors who have long term side-effects.

• Like 1

The Chinese government is a totalitarian regime with a horrible history of human rights abuse, right up to the current time.  They suppress individual freedoms; I won't pretend that that's ok.  

China cloaks itself in secrecy; they have not allowed their vax to be peer reviewed, nor have they released their own data on their trials.  China also has a lengthy history of lying...to its own people and to the world.  

China launched a massive mis-information campaign against Western vaccines, calling Pfizer unsafe and ineffective.  https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/chinese-spam-network-aims-to-discredit-u-s-covid-vaccine-and-response-report-finds/

I do hope Sinovac works since many of my friends have taken it.  However, it appears the scientists in China are trying to get the word out about its low effective rate.  Fyi, later updates to this story indicate the Chinese government has erased all of their CDC chief's comments from the media and the limited internet that they allow their citizens to see.  The government has also expunged comments by others about his remarks on Twitter, FB, etc.  

I wish the Mexican government had planned better, spent better and taken the pandemic seriously enough to have secured better vaccines.  AMLO treated it like a joke, and here we are. 

• Like 1

70% of all medications taken in the USA are from China and India and now you're worried about their standards....none of these pharmacutical companies tell the whole truth about their products claiming it's private information.  The public is only given need-to-know info and a certain number of adverse effects and deaths are a calculated risk that is accepted by them.  We are all too familiar with drug recalls of medications that have been tested and used for years by US companies where it was found that the drug was more deadly than the disease.  None of these vaccines have had a long trial period and long term effects haven't had time to show themselves.  The expunging of comments on FB and Twitter from sources both governmental and private is, in my opinion, a crack down on free speech by the corporate state.  How can you make an informed decision when all you have access to is the official handout ?  Anything that doesn't support that narrative is purged and decried as a conspiracy theory to shut down any dialogue.  Why are we as a society so afraid of other opinions?  Freedom of information, speech and choice have really taken a severe blow these last years making monsters of anyone that doesn't support the prevailing theory.  People are reacting from a position of fear for themselves and those they love and are grasping at any solution that the "authorities" present.  Opposing ideas are seen as a threat and no amount of intellectual discussion can dissuade an emotional attitude. You want to single out AMLO, but he has been on this vaccine quest since last year making deals with Astrazeneca, Argentina ,USA, China, etc to obtain vaccines , many of which fell through.  Even in the US many localities don't have access. In SF, my home town, yesterday they ran out in 90 minutes leaving thousands waiting in line.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

The Chinese government is a totalitarian regime with a horrible history of human rights abuse, right up to the current time.  They suppress individual freedoms; I won't pretend that that's ok.  

China cloaks itself in secrecy; they have not allowed their vax to be peer reviewed, nor have they released their own data on their trials.  China also has a lengthy history of lying...to its own people and to the world.  

China launched a massive mis-information campaign against Western vaccines, calling Pfizer unsafe and ineffective.  https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/chinese-spam-network-aims-to-discredit-u-s-covid-vaccine-and-response-report-finds/

I do hope Sinovac works since many of my friends have taken it.  However, it appears the scientists in China are trying to get the word out about its low effective rate.  Fyi, later updates to this story indicate the Chinese government has erased all of their CDC chief's comments from the media and the limited internet that they allow their citizens to see.  The government has also expunged comments by others about his remarks on Twitter, FB, etc.  

I wish the Mexican government had planned better, spent better and taken the pandemic seriously enough to have secured better vaccines.  AMLO treated it like a joke, and here we are. 

china erasing data ?  huuum,  sounds like Facebook and Twitter's behavior. HA 

All governments lie !!

33 minutes ago, cafemediterraneo said:

70% of all medications taken in the USA are from China and India and now you're worried about their standards....none of these pharmacutical companies tell the whole truth about their products claiming it's private information.  The public is only given need-to-know info and a certain number of adverse effects and deaths are a calculated risk that is accepted by them.  We are all too familiar with drug recalls of medications that have been tested and used for years by US companies where it was found that the drug was more deadly than the disease.  None of these vaccines have had a long trial period and long term effects haven't had time to show themselves.  The expunging of comments on FB and Twitter from sources both governmental and private is, in my opinion, a crack down on free speech by the corporate state.  How can you make an informed decision when all you have access to is the official handout ?  Anything that doesn't support that narrative is purged and decried as a conspiracy theory to shut down any dialogue.  Why are we as a society so afraid of other opinions?  Freedom of information, speech and choice have really taken a severe blow these last years making monsters of anyone that doesn't support the prevailing theory.  People are reacting from a position of fear for themselves and those they love and are grasping at any solution that the "authorities" present.  Opposing ideas are seen as a threat and no amount of intellectual discussion can dissuade an emotional attitude. You want to single out AMLO, but he has been on this vaccine quest since last year making deals with Astrazeneca, Argentina ,USA, China, etc to obtain vaccines , many of which fell through.  Even in the US many localities don't have access. In SF, my home town, yesterday they ran out in 90 minutes leaving thousands waiting in line.  

Agree with everything. However, maybe I'm missing some news, because I don't know which vaccines "fell through" and more importantly, why.

6 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Agree with everything. However, maybe I'm missing some news, because I don't know which vaccines "fell through" and more importantly, why.

Early on there was an effort to combine with Argentina to support AstraZeneca in their development of the vaccine that would be offered free or cheap to Latin America.  I believe Carlos Slim was offering some backing too. There was a hitch in production that caused AstraZeneca to halt that version so AMLO sought out other venues.  He thought he had a deal with the US to share supplies,but soon it was apparent that it wasn't going to be forth coming.  He's talked with Indian, Russian and Chinese suppliers too.  This isn't a problem confined to Mexico, as countries all over are competing for supplies.  J&J had to destroy 15M doses because of "wrong recipe" so who knows what is going on with production at other facilities....many states in the US are also experiencing difficulties with distribution. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 1:24 PM, happyjillin said:

It is my understanding that supply has run out and will be available again sometime in May.

Local FB page reporting this.

También, este martes 13 de abril en los municipios de Tlajomulco de Zúñiga y El Salto se comenzará la aplicación de la primera dosis de la vacuna Pfizer-BioNTech para adultos mayores, mientras que San Pedro Tlaquepaque recibirá la segunda dosis. En los tres municipios se realizará el proceso de inmunización por orden alfabético de 8:00 a 16:00 horas o hasta agotar las dosis del día.