Chapala.com Webboard

PCR Test Ajijic

This information was copied from a post in March and refers to tests at Soriana:

Open Mon-Fri. 8am-4pm.  Sat8am-1pm

Cost

COVID antigenos 489 pesos. Results 15-90 minutes 

COVID anticuerpos 489 pesos. Results 15-90 minutes 

COVID RT -PCR 2,990 pesos.  Results  24-72 hours

14 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Building outside Soriana. Pay inside Soriana. I think PCR is ready next day. Cost 2000+ pesos. Open 8-4 Monday through Friday. Get there early. Other test sites 4000+ pesos. 

PCR results at the Soriana location are 48-72 hrs, they told me Friday. They also are open 8-1 on Saturdays. Pay first at a register inside Soriana, then take your receipt to the trailer.

Antigen test results were received a few hours after the sample, via email. Had name, DOB, QR code etc. on the pdf. $485.00.

8 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

AntiBODY tests (anti-cuerpo) are not very useful and not what you need to travel to US.  AntiGEN for travel to US.  

I have no plans to travel to the US. I was just wondering if the Sinovac vaccine was producing antibodies in me.  Very important thing to know. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cedros said:

I have no plans to travel to the US. I was just wondering if the Sinovac vaccine was producing antibodies in me.  Very important thing to know. 

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/what-do-negative-positive-antibody-test-results-mean-after-a-covid-19-vaccine.h00-159459267.html

Can antibody tests determine if the COVID-19 vaccine was effective?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) discourages antibody testing for assessing immunity after getting the vaccine.

A vaccinated person is very likely to get a negative result from a serology test, even if the vaccine was successful and protective. That’s because different serology tests detect antibodies to different parts of the virus.

Some tests detect antibodies to the spike protein of the virus, which are produced in response to viral infection or the vaccine. Others detect antibodies to a different part of the virus called the nucleocapsid protein, which are produced in response to infection, but not by the current vaccines.

MD Anderson’s Blood Bank uses an antibody test designed to detect antibodies to the nucleocapsid protein, which means donors who have received the COVID-19 vaccine will likely receive a negative antibody test result.

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/what-do-negative-positive-antibody-test-results-mean-after-a-covid-19-vaccine.h00-159459267.html

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) discourages antibody testing for assessing immunity after getting the vaccine.

A vaccinated person is very likely to get a negative result from a serology test, even if the vaccine was successful and protective. That’s because different serology tests detect antibodies to different parts of the virus.

Some tests detect antibodies to the spike protein of the virus, which are produced in response to viral infection or the vaccine. Others detect antibodies to a different part of the virus called the nucleocapsid protein, which are produced in response to infection, but not by the current vaccines.

MD Anderson’s Blood Bank uses an antibody test designed to detect antibodies to the nucleocapsid protein, which means donors who have received the COVID-19 vaccine will likely receive a negative antibody test result.

There does not seem to be much revelant infomation there about antibody tests.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Go ahead and get one then.  But it won't provide you with reliable info.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/02/12/covid-vaccine-antibody-test/

Why you shouldn’t get a covid antibody test after your vaccine

But health experts say antibody tests — the tests designed to detect proteins created by the immune system that protect against the virus — are not necessary and can be unreliable.

“After the vaccines, a lot people are going to get antibody testing — ‘Oh, I want to see if it’s working.’ It actually has very little correlation,” he said. “Many people will test negative on the antibody test, and that does not mean the vaccine didn’t work.”

So, when it comes to the vaccine, he said, testing is useless. “Even if you’re positive [for covid antibodies], you would still get the vaccine. If you’re negative, you would get the vaccine. And then after the vaccine, it really doesn’t matter whether that antibody test is positive or negative. It doesn’t help you at all.”

On 4/11/2021 at 6:51 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

Go ahead and get one then.  But it won't provide you with reliable info.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/02/12/covid-vaccine-antibody-test/

Why you shouldn’t get a covid antibody test after your vaccine

But health experts say antibody tests — the tests designed to detect proteins created by the immune system that protect against the virus — are not necessary and can be unreliable.

“After the vaccines, a lot people are going to get antibody testing — ‘Oh, I want to see if it’s working.’ It actually has very little correlation,” he said. “Many people will test negative on the antibody test, and that does not mean the vaccine didn’t work.”

So, when it comes to the vaccine, he said, testing is useless. “Even if you’re positive [for covid antibodies], you would still get the vaccine. If you’re negative, you would get the vaccine. And then after the vaccine, it really doesn’t matter whether that antibody test is positive or negative. It doesn’t help you at all.”

Still woth getting.

50 minutes ago, cedros said:

Still woth getting.

If your test comes back POSITIVE, what will you do differently with regard to Covid than you do now?

If your test comes back NEGATIVE, what will you do differently with regard to Covid than you do now?

Thanks for the Soriana recommendation. We had our test today and all good. The hardest part was finding where to go for the test after paying.  It’s just a white trailer at the end of the parking lot - what threw me off is the trailer says Information on the outside, nothing else lol.  In the end I figured it out.  
Had our results in about an hour.  Thanks again.  
Btw, love Chapala and Ajijic.   What lovely, charming towns.  I certainly think we shall be back soon.  Tomorrow off to Guadalajara for 2 nights then back to AZ.  

• Like 2

Has anyone gotten the PCR done at the airport before a flight? It seems to take more turn around time and I'm curious what experiences (if any) people have had before a flight at GDL.

Thanks,

Val  :)

56 minutes ago, thevalerieleigh said:

Has anyone gotten the PCR done at the airport before a flight? It seems to take more turn around time and I'm curious what experiences (if any) people have had before a flight at GDL.

Thanks,

Val  :)

Someone told me they had done it, but had gone out to the airport a few days before they needed the results. So an additional trip was needed due to the time it took for the test results.

Thanks, Panama requires a negative PCR within 48 hours of arrival in Panama. This makes me wonder how to get the test results quickly enough to accommodate their requirements.

Val. 😎

On 4/11/2021 at 5:16 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

Apparently you have to take the right antibody test not just any old one.