Chapala.com Webboard

Restaurants serving authentic Molcajete

Carnivore

Years past, the very best Molcajete (the entree) that we've experienced in all our years in Mexico, was at El Bambu (in the strip of lakeside eateries just to the east of San Juan Cosala).  Authentic, delicious and wonderful to look at.  However their presentation eventually changed so much, that after returning several times we finally just gave up.  In years since we keep hearing of Hacienda Coyotes (KM 15 Zapotlanejo - Tototlan Hwy) as having, hands down, one of the very best Molcajetes in all of Mexico (and, definitely far better than anywhere close to Chapala).  We've had very mediocre results at El Jardin (Ajijic Plaza) and Maria Isobel at the foot of Morelos (now gone) so.........can anyone recommend a place serving anything close to what could be described as a wonderful authentic Molcajete.......and why?  

Note:  The "Molcajete" is actually the name of the lava grinding bowl that a very popular Mexican entree has adopted as it's name.  A single serving is usually more than adequate for two people to share.  It consists of a rich and cheesy combination that can include beef, chicken, chorizo, chicken or shrimp and bell peppers all baked to a high temperature in the lava bowl.  To ensure authenticity it would definitely not be presented in a sauce resembling tomato soup.  The melted mixture is accompanied with wonderful aromas, warm soft tortillas and roasted tomatoes or tomatillo salsa. 

By Xena:  44 minutes ago.

Molcajete restaurant on the east end of Chapala malecon next to (north) of Cozumel has a molcajete as you describe. It is delicious. One easily served three people. Comes with free margaritas.

Does anyone know the name of the restaurant the Xena has referred to? 

12 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

Molcajete restaurant on the east end of Chapala malecon next to (north) of Cozumel has a molcajete as you describe. It is delicious. One easily served three people. Comes with free margaritas.

La Casita del Molcajete.

2 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

I would also recommend you try Guicho's, the very first restaurant on that stretch. I prefer it to Casita de Molcajetes, mentioned by Xena, since they changed their cheese. Nothing wrong with having to go out for molcajete twice, lol. No free margs, though.

I just posted it, immediately after Xena's post, with my own mini-review.

5 hours ago, Carnivore said:

Repeat for the umpteenth time, including very recently, on here complete with fotos. It is our go to place to take visitors to and our special occasions. In other words our favourite Chapala Mexican restaurant.

casita del molcajete-exterior-2014.jpg

casita del molcajete.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

"Happyjillan" or as widely known, Peter Kertesz responded, as he so frequently does and, of course, he has the right to express his opinion(s).  I also, yesterday, continued the Molcajete thread by posting about Peacock Garden on Colon in Ajijic and, once again, the Hungry Hungarian went to work.  We paid attention to his advice about La Casita del Molcajete in Chapala and after trying to call for a reservation found that neither the cell phone on their Facebook Page nor land line phone listed on their web-site were active.  The land line simply when unanswered despite many attempts.  As we were trying to contact Kertesz's so highly recommended restaurant on behalf of ourselves and others I decided to simply drive to Chapala and have a first hand look for myself.  It was about 11:00am in the morning.  The restaurant was open but there were no customers.  There were two poorly attired, unmasked waiters sitting at one of the tables and despite the fact that I was standing less than 8 feet from them peering into the very dingy looking restaurant they paid me absolutely no attention.  In fact, I concluded that they were ignoring me becasue they were quite happy not having clients.  They obviously were not representative of the owners.  The restaurant did not appear clean and the tables were not appropriately distanced in compliance with existing Covid related protocols.

From many of Kertesz's prior posts I would conclude that his dietary or health related concerns are far different than mine......and many, many others.   

You're so full of it your back teeth must be floating. Do you have any factual things to say about any restaurant. They are not open for biz at 11am. there are more outside tables than inside and nicely apart. My doctor fully supports my dietary and health habits and I  am quite knowledgeable about protocols for the worldwide covid problem. If  I  get it I 'm dead in less than 24 hrs because of my major medical problems which dictate that i will be dead anyway in 3 years but I  am aiming for 5 in order to pizz persons of  your ilk off a little bit longer. Too bad you have CONCERNS about yours. We have never had to make reservations at ANY restaurant including this one. We and our guests have been regulars for going on 15 years and there is a reason it's our favourite restaurant. 

pedro kertesz born in bohemia czechoslovavkia and never having even visited hungary

Here's the slapshot of justice for you and your BS post

slapshot of justice.jpg

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

You're so full of it your back teeth must be floating. Do you have any factual things to say about any restaurant. They are not open for biz at 11am. there are more outside tables than inside and nicely apart. My doctor fully supports my dietary and health habits and I  am quite knowledgeable about protocols for the worldwide covid problem. If  I  get it I 'm dead in less than 24 hrs because of my major medical problems which dictate that i will be dead anyway in 3 years but I  am aiming for 5 in order to pizz persons of  your ilk off a little bit longer. Too bad you have CONCERNS about yours. We have never had to make reservations at ANY restaurant including this one. We and our guests have been regulars for going on 15 years and there is a reason it's our favourite restaurant. 

pedro kertesz born in bohemia czechoslovavkia and never having even visited hungary

Here's the slapshot of justice for you and your BS post

slapshot of justice.jpg

The 3Pete move that has been used since jr high

1) Name call others

2)  Pat yourself on the back

3) Post an attention craving picture of yourself

Wash, rinse, and (Re)Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Carnivore said:

"Happyjillan" or as widely known, Peter Kertesz responded, as he so frequently does and, of course, he has the right to express his opinion(s).  I also, yesterday, continued the Molcajete thread by posting about Peacock Garden on Colon in Ajijic and, once again, the Hungry Hungarian went to work.  We paid attention to his advice about La Casita del Molcajete in Chapala and after trying to call for a reservation found that neither the cell phone on their Facebook Page nor land line phone listed on their web-site were active.  The land line simply when unanswered despite many attempts.  As we were trying to contact Kertesz's so highly recommended restaurant on behalf of ourselves and others I decided to simply drive to Chapala and have a first hand look for myself.  It was about 11:00am in the morning.  The restaurant was open but there were no customers.  There were two poorly attired, unmasked waiters sitting at one of the tables and despite the fact that I was standing less than 8 feet from them peering into the very dingy looking restaurant they paid me absolutely no attention.  In fact, I concluded that they were ignoring me becasue they were quite happy not having clients.  They obviously were not representative of the owners.  The restaurant did not appear clean and the tables were not appropriately distanced in compliance with existing Covid related protocols.

From many of Kertesz's prior posts I would conclude that his dietary or health related concerns are far different than mine......and many, many others.   

So based on your report.. You did not go when it was open, You did not eat there.  You can not comment on their molcajetes being good or bad.

I've been dozens of times never need a reservation or even thought of calling.  Can be a busy on Sat & Sun between 2pm & 5pm but a weekday is easy to choose the table you want. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

So based on your report.. You did not go when it was open, You did not eat there.  You can not comment on their molcajetes being good or bad.

I've been dozens of times never need a reservation or even though of calling.  Can be a busy on Sat & Sun between 2pm & 5pm but a weekday is easy to choose the table you want. 

Finally, a piece of sense in a thread of total nonsense.

Same here, never needed a reservation and they have excellent molcajetes.  A lot of people want to make the thread about Peter, besides himself.

• Haha 3

This is one of El Rey Taco delivery items tonight. He always uses quality ingredients and generous portions. He also has Super Burrito, with salad. This perpetually popular there. Try the Chorizo. Then has stuffed baked potato, always loaded and a side salad.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

The dish looks a disgusting  mess,  but I think I have seen it served at Viva  Mexico  in SJC

You are right. It is a mess and so very disgusting. Never, ever order one and certainly never eat it, not even a taste. If everyone had your eye and palate, food like this would not even exist. We’d have neat and tidy food instead. But the barbarians you are surrounded by eat that dish and actually enjoy it. Can you imagine? Oh, sorry. Obviously not. 

• Haha 7

On 4/21/2021 at 10:19 PM, slainte39 said:

Finally, a piece of sense in a thread of total nonsense.

Same here, never needed a reservation and they have excellent molcajetes.  A lot of people want to make the thread about Peter, besides himself.

Payaso carnivor fired the first shot and the usual nimrods followed suit, making this about me. I did no such thing. Does your statement" besides himself" mean you have joined that particular group?

• Sad 1

A dose of reality re: this fine restaurant. My wife and a friend went there for lunch last Thursday,arriving at 1:00pm without a reservation and as usual the service was first rate. The tables were distanced well including the smoking table that they were given in the outdoor section. The waiters were well dressed.The washroom was spotless. They had garlic butter and breaded shrimp dishes and my wife got a free white wine as usual.

pedro kertesz

11 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Payaso carnivor fired the first shot and the usual nimrods followed suit, making this about me. I did no such thing. Does your statement" besides himself" mean you have joined that particular group?

NOPE!!!!     You are allowed to have an opinion and make comments about "yourself"....LOL