Chapala.com Webboard

Qualified Gas Stove Repair Person?

I think my little Acros gas stove needs help. Bought new in 2008 - what's their lifespan, anyway? Burners are carboned up and the oven control seems to have quit; heat just keeps climbing, no matter where it's set. Can anyone recommend a competent repair guy? Is "gasfitter" even a trade here? Everyone seems to do everything but I'm scared to death of gas and want someone who knows what he's doing...

I assure you there is an actual group of gas plumbers, who have some sort of government ticket. But I have never been  able to find one. I just want you to know it is a legitimate question. Experience? one gas oven explosion ( failure to install a check valve) and three microwaves, blown diodes, too much voltage.

Is it the stove top burners or the oven?  Sounds to me like the stove top burners are clogged.  You can remove them, soak them in super hot water and use a paperclip to clean the sediments out of the little holes.  Sometimes just tapping them every so often helps to clear the sediment.  You can also buy new burner pieces, they are relatively inexpensive.  Take your old ones to the Monday market in Chapala and see if you can get some new ones.  It’s not expensive to replace.  It’s difficult to blow up your house here with a propane stove.  Propane is a heavy gas and sits low, it’s also scented so you can smell it.  You’d have to have a lot of propane emitting from your stove in a closed off area to do serious damage...and it would have to be lit at that.  It’s actually one of the safer gasses to use, just takes some getting used to if you’re more familiar with electric or natural gas.  

As Dostoros says, the burners aren't anything you need a gas guy for. I replace mine every few years- they get rusty and clogged up and new ones are cheap. Bring the old ones in so you get the right match.You bought the stove 13 years ago, I'm really surprised you've gone this long without having to replace them.

But it sounds like the oven thermostat is dead, so you'd probably need a professional to deal with that. Depending on how much that costs, it might be more cost effective to just buy a new stove. My little Mabe stove is exactly that old, and still works fine, though.

Sorry, I don't live Lakeside, so can't suggest anyone.

Gualberto Real and Son. They fix ovens, stovetops, dishwashers, washers, dryers and refrigerators. 331-026-5450

That said, everyone should now go and find out where their gas shutoff valve is for the stove. Start at the back of the stove and follow the line. You SHOULD have one inside the kitchen and probably closer to the stove than you think.

The black caps that fit over the actual burner often start to rust underneath and will keep clogging your burners. They can be replaced... and the burner pulls up and off so it can be cleaned. It's just part of regular maintenance... which is a whole lot more economical than replacing the stove. The thermostat for the oven can also be replaced.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, Ferret said:

That said, everyone should now go and find out where their gas shutoff valve is for the stove.

Yes, mine is right on the line behind the stove. As it should be. But since I use gas cylinders instead of a tank, I could also just shut off the tank. I use a seperate cylinder for the hot water heater, so it wouldn't affect that.

I have shutoffs everywhere, including the main tank. Shut off for the on demand water heater, shut off for the dryer and shut off for the stove. I want to put in another shut off for the stove as the line enters the kitchen on the outside because any kind of fire on the stove is gonna make me really squeamish about getting to the shutoff behind it. It's on my list.

That's a budget stove that is now 13 years old.  I'd replace it.  Tio Sam still best local place IMO.  They sell junk at Walmart.

Otherwise, call Gualberto Real.  Definitely the best for this sort of thing.

Thank  you, everyone - very helpful. I've used Gualberto in the past for other things, and will see what he has to say. The last time, he condemned my washing machine, said it wasn't worth fixing. It's a problem; if you buy all your appliances at the same time, down the road they're also likely to die at the same time, which is hard on the budget. And as a renter, I'm not wanting to make a huge investment. Fridge is also showing its age these days, but one issue at a time...

Our go to place for appliance repair is Camarena in Ajijic Colon one block above carretera 766 2256. Fair pricing, reliable service, will get parts, speak english. Caveat... they are a pain to get an appointment.