Chapala.com Webboard

Ceiling fans

16 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Sometimes people just go overboard trying to impress, mostly themselves, and anybody else who will listen, about all their knowledge and wisdom on just about any topic.

In this case.....Its all the time.

Or in some cases, many dribbling old gits.

10 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

My advice is simple. Get a fan installed by a proper business, who is covered by their own insurance. Same with security cams. People run off to Costco, thinking they are getting a great deal -until they try to find someone who can install it, and if they fall, you will pay a lot and you will never forget it. I can't imagine the level of cheapness that would be required to fix an old fan. Everything has to fit back together perfectly, and many new items have been purposely engineered that they cannot be fixed by DIY or can you even purchase replacement parts. That is just the way it is these days, especially anything made in Asia. Stores like Home Depot would just throw the item away, and give a new one. The manufacturer only gets paid for full sale items. Everything else is junk.

Agree with using a business. Quickblinds can do that with their staff installer. But they also fix fans and many times it's just the capacitor which is a very, very easy fix as Mudgirl has already pointed out. Lemme see now... 50 pesos and a service call or 3500 pesos up for a quality fan? No brainer imho. The fan does not need to be taken down and apart to fix most problems. Do not buy cheap fans! The aggravation is simply not worth the price. My preference is Hampton Bay and one of the fans in this house is now 20 years old. It was also converted to a remote control. I have no idea if Quickblinds has insurance for their staff.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Sometimes people just go overboard trying to impress, mostly themselves, and anybody else who will listen, about all their knowledge and wisdom on just about any topic.

In this case.....Its all the time.

Indeed! A constant scourge of phonyness[sic] or googleness on topics of interest only to the poster[sic]. you captured the poster perfectly-SNORK!

58 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

can't imagine the level of cheapness that would be required to fix an old fan. 

You mean like a 35 peso capacitor and 30 minutes of my time to change it out?

Following your faulty advice, I would by now have added about 8 perfectly good fans to the landfill and spent 20,000 pesos on new fans and installation instead of 280 pesos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...