Chapala.com Webboard

Great steak....at home!

CBGUY

On 4/5/2021 at 8:32 PM, gringohombre said:

I brought a large Webber gas BBQ when I moved here 13 years ago, however it soon crapped out and has been sitting on my patio ever since. I have moved away from a lot of meat, but still enjoy a good steak once in a while. I would like to try one of these steaks mentioned here but need some help in recommendations for purchasing a small BBQ to cook it. I gave away my 5 Gal. propane tank years ago and do not have a connection to my household gas tank on the other side of the house. I am solo so just need a small grill for 1 steak. Do I need a gas outdoor or maybe an electric indoor and what brand and size? Any help would be appreciated. Gracias 

For a single steak once in awhile your best choice is a small hibachi or a tabletop portable charcoal grill.  Have seen in hardware stores in the past.  Or here's one at Amazon Mexico for 534p.  With these small grills you won't waste a lot of charcoal.  

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Cuisinart-CCG-190RB-Portable-Charcoal-14-Inch/dp/B00B58A0QU/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=cuisinart+portable+grill&qid=1617889561&sr=8-1

It's not even a discussion point: electric grilled steak can't come close to the taste of a char-broiled or fire-grilled steak. This is due to the flames causing the Maillard reaction (chemical reactions that occur when proteins and sugars in and on your food are transformed by heat, producing new flavors, aromas, and colors) which gives you that crunchy outside. To do that on an electric grill overcooks the meat.

• Like 1

Good grief! Now comparing more or less harmless natural way of fire/charcoal cooking of meat to cigarette smoking? How about industrial smogs,vehicle exhausts and here field burning and I can't be bothered adding more to the list for you great thinkers of a simple COOKING METHOD being bad for you. Get real!!!

• Sad 4

I believe that everyone here has gotten to an age where what we do or don't do won't make that much of a difference in the time we have left. Everyone is unique.

That said, I LOVE a good BBQ but I am not going to fire up a charcoal grill (or a propane grill) to cook for one person. YMMV. 

Somehow, THE POINT got lost in the cornflakes of this discussion.  THE POINT was that when there is evidence that a personal choice may include verifiable health risks, nothing is as simple as some would have us believe. Of course, Ferret is very right in pointing out that at this time in most of our lives, our choices won't make much difference.  And, like her, I'm not about to fire up a barbeque to cook one or two portions of food.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Somehow, THE POINT got lost in the cornflakes of this discussion.  THE POINT was that when there is evidence that a personal choice may include verifiable health risks, nothing is as simple as some would have us believe. Of course, Ferret is very right in pointing out that at this time in most of our lives, our choices won't make much difference.  And, like her, I'm not about to fire up a barbeque to cook one or two portions of food.

I don't disagree with your post, other than about grilling for one or two. 

I do it daily on my well-seasoned gas grill.  And by "well-seasoned" I mean, rarely cleaned 😊   

My grill heats up to 400 degrees in 5 minutes and with the lid down, holds that temperature with the knobs turned to low.  I can grill a nice piece of salmon in about 10 minutes or a dozen shrimp in 5 minutes, without using a pan that needs washing. 

Now that the weather is warmer, rather than heat up my kitchen I also use the gas grill as an oven for reheating things like leftover pizza slices (really gets a good flavor).   

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, gringal said:

No.  "THE POINT got lost" when the discussion became about how to prepare meat, not where to buy it as the original post and a couple of replies indicate. 

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I believe that everyone here has gotten to an age where what we do or don't do won't make that much of a difference in the time we have left. Everyone is unique.

That said, I LOVE a good BBQ but I am not going to fire up a charcoal grill (or a propane grill) to cook for one person. YMMV. 

Why not do it for your own pleasure? Don't you think that you deserve it? I have done it for me only many times and when I  was in the bush by myself it was a joy to do my freshly caught trout over the fire. I still do it for me when wife goes to Canada for a while.

21 minutes ago, gringal said:

I guess that depends on whether or not you get sufficient pleasure from some methods of cooking to go to the bother, eh?

However, I appreciate the reference to where the best steaks can be found, nearby.🙂

I like myself so not even doing things like Wiener Schnitzel which is more intense than doing bbq I  have done just for me. Liking ones self is the basis for liking others and doing for them and not considering it a chore. We are not restaurant people either except for special occasions because we both really enjoy  the creativity and satisfaction of messing in our kitchen and me additionally on my weber for bbq at least once per week. I have not yet decided between the oven or Weber for my first attempt at preparing duck breast.

I've said it before and I will say it again: that's the way threads work. I challenge you to find a chat board that is as strict as you would like this one to be. And I reiterate, there is still an opening for moderator here.

The original topic here was a simple statement. It was not a question and required no comment. Following your way, it would have been perhaps the only post, period. At least this one got interesting on very related topics.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Why not do it for your own pleasure? Don't you think that you deserve it? I have done it for me only many times and when I  was in the bush by myself it was a joy to do my freshly caught trout over the fire

Not everyone enjoys cooking, believe it or not. Has nothing to do with not thinking you deserve it.

I would be quite happy to be able to live on air alone. I don't enjoy shopping for food, or thinking about what to cook or cooking. So because I have to eat, I choose to prepare food in a way that takes the least amount of time and involves the least amount of fuss.

I cooked healthy dinners for me and my kids every night, 365 days a year, for 27 years. That was enough. I like growing food, not preparing it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Not everyone enjoys cooking, believe it or not. Has nothing to do with not thinking you deserve it.

I would be quite happy to be able to live on air alone. I don't enjoy shopping for food, or thinking about what to cook or cooking. So because I have to eat, I choose to prepare food in a way that takes the least amount of time and involves the least amount of fuss.

I cooked healthy dinners for me and my kids every night, 365 days a year, for 27 years. That was enough. I like growing food, not preparing it.

The subject by the OP was Great Steak...at Home. Who cares that you do not have a valid contribution on this subject!!! Yes, the conversation has veered into cooking said steak, health concerns and even if BBQing contributes to climate change but still all interesting posts...until yours!!!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Who cares that you do not have a valid contribution on this subject!!!

Obviously you care a great deal, for some unknown reason. I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to a specific post.

Why can't you just ignore the posts that don't interest you, like most mature adults do? Are you now the arbiter of what constitutes a "valid contribution?" Do you think your post criticizing my post is a "valid contribution"?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Obviously you care a great deal, for some unknown reason. I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to a specific post.

Why can't you just ignore the posts that don't interest you, like most mature adults do? Are you now the arbiter of what constitutes a "valid contribution?" Do you think your post criticizing my post is a "valid contribution"?

Yes!!!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 4/6/2021 at 9:48 PM, rafterbr said:

I shudder at the thought.  You will not get the flavor a flame fire heat will induce, be it gas, wood, charcoal  or even from a pan fry.  All the good steak houses I know use a flame kissed preparation of a steak.  Charcoal also works well and I used charcoal with a kiss of flame at the end when I had my steak house.

Chef Bruce, in Puerto Vallarta, serves a lot of steaks and other meats. He seems to rely a lot on Sous Vide for waterbath cooking these days, at various temperatures. He can hold a steak to a perfect medium rare, with red up to the skin, for hours (sorry, I dont know the food safety guideline for sous vide) If he gets an order for a medium rare steak, he removes it from the bag, then flash grills it with lots of drama. The prices have really dropped for these units and they are perfect for people who entertain a lot. All the meats and even shellfish, can be cooked to precise optimal levels, and then can all be seared or flame wokked all about the same time, all to the same consistency. For home convenience, just take out a frozen steak or fish from the freezer. The water warms to both defrost and cook the meat.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Chef Bruce, in Puerto Vallarta, serves a lot of steaks and other meats. He seems to rely a lot on Sous Vide for waterbath cooking these days, at various temperatures. He can hold a steak to a perfect medium rare, with red up to the skin, for hours (sorry, I dont know the food safety guideline for sous vide) If he gets an order for a medium rare steak, he removes it from the bag, then flash grills it with lots of drama. The prices have really dropped for these units and they are perfect for people who entertain a lot. All the meats and even shellfish, can be cooked to precise optimal levels, and then can all be seared or flame wokked all about the same time, all to the same consistency. For home convenience, just take out a frozen steak or fish from the freezer. The water warms to both defrost and cook the meat.

Bruce ain't the greatest but at least he FLASH GRILLS IT after the sous vide the latest cooking fad of the people that are followers of the latest fads/passing trends, and totally unnecessary if you're experienced for many years doing"all meats and even shell fish".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...