Chapala.com Webboard

Great steak....at home!

CBGUY

Some friends told us about a place in San Juan Cosala that's carrying Sonora beef. It's about 50 yards past the entrance to the Racquet 

Club on the mountain side and is called Steak Brothers. We bought 2 rib-eyes and 2 N.Y. Straps. Had the rib eye today and it was excellent. Extremely tender and incredible flavor. WELL worth the drive!

I brought a large Webber gas BBQ when I moved here 13 years ago, however it soon crapped out and has been sitting on my patio ever since. I have moved away from a lot of meat, but still enjoy a good steak once in a while. I would like to try one of these steaks mentioned here but need some help in recommendations for purchasing a small BBQ to cook it. I gave away my 5 Gal. propane tank years ago and do not have a connection to my household gas tank on the other side of the house. I am solo so just need a small grill for 1 steak. Do I need a gas outdoor or maybe an electric indoor and what brand and size? Any help would be appreciated. Gracias 

16 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I brought a large Weber gas BBQ when I moved here 13 years ago, however it soon crapped out and has been sitting on my patio ever since. I have moved away from a lot of meat, but still enjoy a good steak once in a while. I would like to try one of these steaks mentioned here but need some help in recommendations for purchasing a small BBQ to cook it. I gave away my 5 Gal. propane tank years ago and do not have a connection to my household gas tank on the other side of the house. I am solo so just need a small grill for 1 steak. Do I need a gas outdoor or maybe an electric indoor and what brand and size? Any help would be appreciated. Gracias 

Get yourself a weber like this at Soriana and use real carbon. Brought this one with us and have used it for almost 30 years with a few minor repairs I've had done here.

shiskabob on weber.jpg

bbq ribeye.jpg

• Like 1

I bought an indoor electric grill some months ago, primarily to cook salmon steaks, but it should work well with beef steaks.  I'm very well satisfied with it.  The end result appears like using a "regular" barbeque. The instructions that come with it are clear about the temps. and timing for each type of food.  Easy to clean; diswasher safe removable parts, but I just fill a sink with soapy water;  dump the parts in and let them soak. Very high temperature available. It's a Hamilton Beach 25361 available on Amazon Mexico. 

13 hours ago, gringal said:

I bought an indoor electric grill some months ago, primarily to cook salmon steaks, but it should work well with beef steaks.  I'm very well satisfied with it.  

I shudder at the thought.  You will not get the flavor a flame fire heat will induce, be it gas, wood, charcoal  or even from a pan fry.  All the good steak houses I know use a flame kissed preparation of a steak.  Charcoal also works well and I used charcoal with a kiss of flame at the end when I had my steak house.

If you google "health hazards of charcoal grilling" you'll find a number of articles on the tradofff for that cooking option.  In my opinion, it's not worth it.  If it's a good piece of meat or fish, it doesn't need to be "flame kissed" to be plenty tasty.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, gringal said:

Where is Los 3 Butchery?  Strip mall near the eyeglass place? The butcher there has some good beef.

2-3 doors east of Telmex and beside the health food store on the north lateral. They now carry both Berlin AND el Alemann products and I worked with them to get boneless pork butt steaks[need to order] so you never have to buy those dry flavourless chops again. I also got them to get Muscovi duck whole and breast.

pork butt boneless steak zx.jpg

muscovi ducka.jpg

1 hour ago, gringal said:

If you google "health hazards of charcoal grilling" you'll find a number of articles on the tradofff for that cooking option.  In my opinion, it's not worth it.  If it's a good piece of meat or fish, it doesn't need to be "flame kissed" to be plenty tasty.

I am almost 78 and have been bbq-ing and smoking,campfire cooking meat fish and crustacea, using charcoal,briquette and wood  since I was about 18,continue to do so and have experienced no adverse effects from doing it. I have had 2 PET scans. The "alleged health hazard" is quite low and worth ignoring.

• Like 1

Pedro, your health is yours, so your lack of adverse effects from charcoal grilling doesn't necessarily contradict what has been found for others.  Since I have a few serious health problems, I'm not going to engage in dining behavior based on your experience.  The risks to health are one thing, but there also evidence that environmental damage results from charcoal grilling.  As in all things, it's a matter of individual choices.  As a long ago former heavy smoker, I am experiencing the sorry end results of that choice.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gringal said:

Why do the good steak houses use fire (wood, charcoal, or gas) instead of electric then?  Much less hassle to cook the meat.

29 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Why do the good steak houses use fire (wood, charcoal, or gas) instead of electric then?  Much less hassle to cook the meat.

I like smoked meat, but your question seems to be like asking: why would the cigarette companies sell a product that kills their own clients.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

OK...........but that doesn´t answer my question.

Sorry about the apparent non clarity.

For me, I agree that slow smoked meat tastes great; However, like cigarettes, deep fried food, alcohol, or soda; the companies selling those products don't really care about our health. 

That is on us, as individuals.

No offense meant, just my $0.02

• Like 2

Another possible reason:  The electric grill I bought has a high heat (500 degrees) setting.  It takes 5 minutes of this, with a lower setting of 375 for 8 minutes, to cook a salmon steak.  That isn't cheap to run.  I don't know it there are similar electric grills available to hold a sizable number of steaks. I imagine it's much more economical to keep a barbeque going in a steak house.

Interesting comment about the motivations of the cigarette companies.  Back when I was a three pack a day smoker, they even had the audacity to suggest that smoking was GOOD for you.  The opposition came a bit later.😉