Chapala.com Webboard

A 300 liter tank can last a year, if a home has a solar water heater.      If I was building now, I would go smaller than that for sure, save $$, save space.     Cooking and even gas dryers use very little in comparison.

• Like 1

I don't have a solar water heater but do have an on demand water heater. My little 180 litre propane tank was last filled in December of 2019. And I absolutely know that none of my gas pipes leak because they are outside. I cook, I use hot water for bathing and washing the dishes. I'm very happy especially considering that the last house we rented needed to have the 300 litre tank filled every two months. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I don't have a solar water heater but do have an on demand water heater. My little 180 litre propane tank was last filled in December of 2019. And I absolutely know that none of my gas pipes leak because they are outside. I cook, I use hot water for bathing and washing the dishes. I'm very happy especially considering that the last house we rented needed to have the 300 litre tank filled every two months. 

That's about how much I go through, too. I use the 30 liter cylinders and have to buy about 3 a year, if that. And I don't even have an on-demand water heater. But I only light the water heater 15 minutes before I want to shower and turn it off again after. The water stays hot enough between lightings to do dishes.

4 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Maybe, but 300 is typical and a standard install in new construction unless specified differently.

That would depend on the architect and house size. I have built many houses here. 

All the new houses being built in SE SAT have 180L tank.  A way to save money.  My water heater is so bad I have to fill the tank monthly.  Going to replace with instant on type heater as I have had in previous houses. Funny thing current water heater says ecoloical (sp) model.  Standing pilot light says otherwise.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, lcscats said:

All the new houses being built in SE SAT have 180L tank.  A way to save money.  My water heater is so bad I have to fill the tank monthly.  Going to replace with instant on type heater as I have had in previous houses. Funny thing current water heater says ecoloical (sp) model.  Standing pilot light says otherwise.

Exactly the same problem I had with a Calorex heater even with flue dampener.  Gas consumption cut by more than half by changing this to on demand.  However on demand units do require annual maintenance and that is a cost too.

20 hours ago, slainte39 said:

About how many? is many?

Supervised construction on 2 in Raquet, 2 in Ajijic , 1 in Chapala, 5 in Chula Vista Norte.   Everything from a small 2br to a 4br 3 level with elevator.  I would qualify that as many. 

• Like 4