Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Losing Shaw Channels


Recommended Posts

I'm loosing some satellite channels. I guess I should have the dish checked. I've seen Ajijic Electronic mentioned on this board. Can anyone give me their telephone number or tell me where their office is. Can't find them in the phone book.

Has anyone had any luck realigning their dish?

Gracias

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, contact them. However, while you will get back a number of channels, the real problem is with a deteriorating Shaw satellite, and so you will still have lost many, many channels, in particular Canadian channels.  As an American, I don't care that much, except it used to be if a US channel was out you could go and find a Canadian channel showing the same thing. Much harder now. 376 766 1117

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, catbird said:

I'm loosing some satellite channels. I guess I should have the dish checked. I've seen Ajijic Electronic mentioned on this board. Can anyone give me their telephone number or tell me where their office is. Can't find them in the phone book.

Has anyone had any luck realigning their dish?

Gracias

Many people have had luck realigning their dish. They always have an add in Ojo del Lago with their address and phone number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our dish was realigned perfectly by Ajijic Electronics. About a week or so ago after that following some high winds we lost the same channels previously lost. Some come back in the evening but those have much pixelation and are unwatchable. Another service call is in order. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

I am curious why you switched. Until this current problem, I got way more channels than I could possibly want via Shaw. And Dish is no more "legal" here than Shaw.

Why isn’t Dish perfectly legal here.. Dish has stores throughout Mexico, there are several stores in Guadalajara..Haven’t been to the Galleria mall in awhile but Dish used to have a booth in the mall..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Many channels are going to a third satellite that México can’t access. We gave up Shaw and went to Dish. Love it. 

Do you get all the US channels or is it restricted to a Mexico selection? Are there any downsides to the Dish option?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Why isn’t Dish perfectly legal here.. Dish has stores throughout Mexico, there are several stores in Guadalajara..Haven’t been to the Galleria mall in awhile but Dish used to have a booth in the mall..

If you are receiving dish USA then you are receiving a technically illegal signal. That is why you pay with and account registered to a US address. Dish USA has no authorization to broadcast signals to Mexico. The channels they broadcast have not authorized them to sell their programs to Mexico. 

Dish México, S. de R. L. de C.V. (In Mexico: Alcanzca) is a Mexican-owned company that operates a subscription satellite television service in Mexico nationwide. It is very different than Dish USA. The channels offered in Mexico are mostly Mexican channels. You won't see ABC NBC CBS etc. 

You will see their small red satellite dishes on some houses. Yu will see a lot more SKY dishes because of a better channel selection. 

https://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_Dish_Network_(México)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The satellite signal goes wherever it goes (some are more targeted than others, as demonstrated by Shaw's changing satellite reception footprint). 

It is illegal for a company to market their satellite signal across borders, without the consent of the other countries. That is why there is such a thing as Dish Mexico and Dish USA, offering different things. If you have a Dish USA receiver and account, and you access a Dish USA satellite signal in another country, you have not broken any law. If Dish USA were to become aware you were accessing their signal in another country, they might (probably would) cancel your service, as it would conflict with their obligations under international law (which is one reason one doesn't call them for customer service!).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2021 at 11:06 AM, catbird said:

I'm loosing some satellite channels. I guess I should have the dish checked. I've seen Ajijic Electronic mentioned on this board. Can anyone give me their telephone number or tell me where their office is. Can't find them in the phone book.

Has anyone had any luck realigning their dish?

Gracias

Thought I would update my post. I contacted Ajijic Electronics and they sent two guys to check my dish. I'm glad I did, now I have all my channels back and the signals are strong. Money well spent!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, catbird said:

Thought I would update my post. I contacted Ajijic Electronics and they sent two guys to check my dish. I'm glad I did, now I have all my channels back and the signals are strong. Money well spent!

Did the same and they realigned the dish and fiddled with the receiver. They are the best!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, catbird said:

Thought I would update my post. I contacted Ajijic Electronics and they sent two guys to check my dish. I'm glad I did, now I have all my channels back and the signals are strong. Money well spent!

Depends on which channels you had. And on the size of your dish. If you are using a 2 meter or larger round dish, then you probably have more channels than those with actual Shaw dishes. You can check in the 100 to 200 range. Only a few of those are now available because of the physical proglems with the satellite. No amount of tweaking will get them back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2021 at 2:32 PM, TelsZ4 said:

Go to the menu on the receiver and check the signal strength,  if the strength is good then you may have lost the channels because Shaw has moved the to the new satellite,,  eventually all the channels will be moved to the new satellite Anik G1

Actually, you cannot get a signal and not get the channel. You will notice that the signal drops to 0 when the channel goes out. Depending on your setup, it will normally be close to 80. Go into Options, then press 4 then 7 to see the signal for any given channel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2021 at 11:26 AM, AndyPanda said:

Yes, contact them. However, while you will get back a number of channels, the real problem is with a deteriorating Shaw satellite, and so you will still have lost many, many channels, in particular Canadian channels.  As an American, I don't care that much, except it used to be if a US channel was out you could go and find a Canadian channel showing the same thing. Much harder now. 376 766 1117

Ajijic Electronics told me that the problem was that Shaw had rotated the satellite a bit not a deteriorating sarellite and that most channels could be recovered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, cedros said:

Ajijic Electronics told me that the problem was that Shaw had rotated the satellite a bit not a deteriorating sarellite and that most channels could be recovered.

True but at some point the two sats we see will run out of propellant to keep them on station and we will lose them.  No one knows when but shaw  but it will happen someday and the profile of the one sat left will not go south of S.F. Cali.  I switched to streaming and the only channel I can't find is Knowledge but PBS is a good substitute. It is rumored that shaw is having a problem with people updating LNB and boxes to catch the new bird (MPEG4) so the old birds still work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2021 at 6:30 AM, NoVaDamer said:

The satellite signal goes wherever it goes (some are more targeted than others, as demonstrated by Shaw's changing satellite reception footprint). 

It is illegal for a company to market their satellite signal across borders, without the consent of the other countries. That is why there is such a thing as Dish Mexico and Dish USA, offering different things. If you have a Dish USA receiver and account, and you access a Dish USA satellite signal in another country, you have not broken any law. If Dish USA were to become aware you were accessing their signal in another country, they might (probably would) cancel your service, as it would conflict with their obligations under international law (which is one reason one doesn't call them for customer service!).

Well not quite. While you are correct with the signal.  It might not be legal to bring the receivers into mexico.  Countries are funny about telecommunications equipment sometimes.  I doubt if they care here but that doesn't make it legal.  I worked on an international fortune 100 companies Sat/Cable data/TV systems and believe me I had to fill out paperwork to bring in gear to our companies branch in Guad.  Remember some of this stuff uses encryption which governments get real funny about. I doubt if anyone cares about your Dish/Shaw gear but legal I don't know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • moderator-2 changed the title to Losing Shaw Channels

@lcscats, we mostly agree here. My point is posters often throw out the phrase "it's illegal" which scares some users. In any case, it's not illegal to use the receiver. I agree countries are as touchy about gear as they are about signals. I don't know for sure, but I would bet bringing in a dish for personal use is no problem. I did note this site which has the customs duty/etc data for doing so, so I guess it's ok.

https://customsdutyfree.com/customs-or-import-duty-for-set-top-boxes-internet-television-satellite-receiver-to-mexico/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2021 at 11:06 AM, catbird said:

I'm loosing some satellite channels. I guess I should have the dish checked. I've seen Ajijic Electronic mentioned on this board. Can anyone give me their telephone number or tell me where their office is. Can't find them in the phone book.

Has anyone had any luck realigning their dish?

Gracias

If you know where the French bakery is in west Ajijic it is down that street towards the lake. Many people have sucess with realalighning their dishes. I only takes a few minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...