Chapala.com Webboard

Best not tall flowering plants for full sun here

Considering that's a one way street going north, it may not be a good idea to go south on it. The better way is to go south on the street between the hardware store and iShop. Then make the first right and then another right onto that street. Go north and it will be on your left. There is a reasonably sized parking area. That nursery is where I bought both the Mexican Petunia and Double Flowered Hibiscus just about this time last year.

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Considering that's a one way street going north, it may not be a good idea to go south on it. The better way is to go south on the street between the hardware store and iShop. Then make the first right and then another right onto that street. Go north and it will be on your left. There is a reasonably sized parking area. That nursery is where I bought both the Mexican Petunia and Double Flowered Hibiscus just about this time last year.

Good point.  I walk so I don't really pay attention to directions of streets obviously.

1 minute ago, Ferret said:

LOL! If I'm going to a vivero, I drive because I absolutely know that I'm leaving with a car full of plants.

Obviously my wife does the garden shopping LOL.  I pay the man to mow the yard and lift up large bags of whatever. Besides it is difficult to have two gardeners in a garden so I don't garden. Do like looking at it!   Wife is waiting for her second Pfizer shot in Mexico city so I am stuck for the second week taking care of the garden, fish pond, lawn  and feeding various birds and rat like creatures with fuzzy tails as our maid tells us.  

I don't have a gardener and the garden, as small as it is, is a constant work in progress. Also have two atriums in the house.  I used to have two large twenty year old bugambilias. Those things BITE. I regretfully had them removed by Chapala Tree Services. Things that grow a metre a week make it hard to keep up. Now I have Blue Plumbago growing up the walls. Very pretty, easy to prune and easy to bag for the garbage. The scars on my arms are fading.

12 hours ago, Ferret said:

I don't have a gardener and the garden, as small as it is, is a constant work in progress. Also have two atriums in the house.  I used to have two large twenty year old bugambilias. Those things BITE. I regretfully had them removed by Chapala Tree Services. Things that grow a metre a week make it hard to keep up. Now I have Blue Plumbago growing up the walls. Very pretty, easy to prune and easy to bag for the garbage. The scars on my arms are fading.

Just an FYI -"Contact with the sap, leaves, stems and roots may cause skin irritation, blistering and dermatitis."

On 4/5/2021 at 7:54 AM, Ferret said:

I understand about the scars. A few years ago when I was in the States I ordered leather gardening gloves that reach up to my elbows. I had to order them online but they have saved my arms.

• Like 1

These are great ideas! I so enjoy fragrant flowers or vines. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Also, I miss having fragrant roses, bush or tree. I only seem to be able to find the creeper (?) type that have just a few petals opposed to a full bloom with lots of petals. Perhaps they can’t survive here so they aren’t carried? 

All the Lantanas in my north Texas area are either annual or perennial. Many of them could be evergreen in Lakeside. 

This is the "New Gold" Lantana in my front yard. https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59488

Only grow up to two feet high, but can spread easily to 6 feet wide. How big is your yard? :) Drought tolerant. Love full sun. Not picky about soil. No pest problem. Easy to propagate by cutting.

IMG_20200605_203247174.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IkoIko said:

These are great ideas! I so enjoy fragrant flowers or vines. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Also, I miss having fragrant roses, bush or tree. I only seem to be able to find the creeper (?) type that have just a few petals opposed to a full bloom with lots of petals. Perhaps they can’t survive here so they aren’t carried? 

Roses do very well here. Also they are incredibly cheap. Why not look into a climbing rose?

18 hours ago, IkoIko said:

18 hours ago, IkoIko said:

Thre are many species of fragrant Jasmine that do well here. The night blooming one has a very strong scent.

• Like 1

Have you tried the arbust that only smells at night? It has little white flowers and the smell is pretty strong.. Of course nothing smells very strongly here because of the dryness, plants smell so much better in Vallarta  with the humidity. What they call tobacco plant has really nice smelling whote flowers as well.  I bought a bunch of differnt types of gardenias in Vallarta because of their smell but you cannot smell them here..