Chapala.com Webboard

Best not tall flowering plants for full sun here

I've been having success with Mexican Petunia which is a low growing spreader with lavender flowers. I also think that Daisies would work or Mexican Heather (needs pruning). Oleanders and double flower Obelisco (Hibiscus). Actually they all need pruning except for the Petunia and Daisies. You could put the daisies behind the Mexican Petunia for an upward sweep of colour.

I have grown Lantana but it also requires pruning and usually looks best cascading from a taller pot. BTW, I looked up Mexican Petunia and I must have a dwarf variety because it's still the same height after a year... six inches.

-Hibisicus

-Agapanthus africanus (Lily of th valley/nile)

-Aloe barbadensis (Barbados Aloe)

-Alpinia purppurata 

-Anthurium andraeanum

-Banksia ericifolia

-Vriesea splendens

-Guzmania sp.

-Russelia equisetiformis

-Pachystachys lutea

-Euphorbia milii

-Nemesia

-Antirrhinum (snap dragon)

-Gaillardia  x grandiflora

-Lobulania maritima

-Impatiens  balsamina

-Pentas

-Nicotiana

There are many more. Go to a large nursery like the one behind Superlake and and see what catches your eye. Tell them what characteristics you want and they can be very helpful. They have a computer at the desk that you can enter any of these nmes in.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

I gave up on Geraniums in Mexico about 20 years ago. They get awfully scraggly and unkempt easily and the summer heavy rains beat them to death. YMMV.

They've never been among my favored flowers- I just don't find them particularly attractive, so don't grow any. I just know they grow in full sun.

I've always though of them more as an annual, something to stick in the ground for color, rather than a perrenial to try to keep looking good.

15 minutes ago, geeser said:

The flowers we grew in full sun in S. Texas was Zinnias. They are an easy to grow annual. I have found seeds at the hardware on the Super Lake corner.

https://www.almanac.com/plant/zinnias

According to the Lake Chapala gardening guide these like full sun;

Gypsophila, Impatiens, Gaillardia x Grandiflora, Felicia, Dianthus, Cosmos, Dahlia, Hemerocallis (Day lily), Oenothera (evening primrose, Gazania), Gerbera, Godetia,Heliotrope, Hollyhock, Iridaceae, Liatris, etc

Lantana has already been recommended; the ones we had in AZ were spreaders and available in many colors.  AZ DOT plants them on highway median strips around PHX, so they can handle the 🌞 and require little care.

While not a real bloomer, we had good luck with spider plants at a very sunny area at our last home here.  I find their white/green stripes very attractive.  They spread easily and were hardy and good-looking all year.  The do produce some small white flowers on their shoots, but not that noticeable. 

Cedros said-Go to a large nursery like the one behind Superlake and and see what catches your eye.

Sorry but that nursery is long gone. I go to the one in La Floresta now. Traveling west from San Antonio it is on the right side right before Johanna's restaurant. It's small but they have a large assortment of plants.

My impatiens get sun all afternoon and are doing very well.

2 hours ago, gogirl said:

Cedros said-Go to a large nursery like the one behind Superlake and and see what catches your eye.

Sorry but that nursery is long gone. I go to the one in La Floresta now. Traveling west from San Antonio it is on the right side right before Johanna's restaurant. It's small but they have a large assortment of plants.

I wonder where they went. The nursery in San Juan Cosala has an interesting selection. Tell them what you would like and they will have it in in a few days.

That shows how long it has been since I was plant shopping. I spent thousnads on the nursery behind Superlake. Did they shut down or go somewhere else. 

29 minutes ago, bmh said:

It is still there, part of the land was sold but it is still thee on smallerland behind superlake

Thanks I thought it was still there. The family that ran the nursery lived there.

Nurseries certainly come and go. The one in SJC  is still going. There is a large one at the summit going to Zapopan via Jocotepec. Jocotepec has two on the western entrance to town.   

2 hours ago, gogirl said:

Apparently the nursery behind Superlake is still there-just smaller

2 hours ago, cedros said:

I wonder where they went. The nursery in San Juan Cosala has an interesting selection. Tell them what you would like and they will have it in in a few days.

That shows how long it has been since I was plant shopping. I spent thousnads on the nursery behind Superlake. Did they shut down or go somewhere else. 

The nursery in SAT lost the property on San Jose, there was a lawsuit of some kind. That property ia being developed now. The nursery can be accessed either through a drive further down on San Jose or from the next street over. They still have many plants to choose from, I was just there a week ago.

14 hours ago, cedros said:

That nurrsery is still behind Superlake

11 hours ago, dcstroker said:

The one in SJC has always been our favorite. Might not always have the best prices but the variety and the care that they give to the plants are top notch.

The one in SJC used to buy some of their plants from the nursery behind Superlake