Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Message from Expat Liaison Hector Espana


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Ferret said:

You can only join Facebook using your or a REAL name. If you know my REAL name, have at it. But, as I previously said, there are others with my REAL name.

That is not true.  I purposely set up my FB account in a fake name, fake birthday, using a "throw away" email. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

That is not true.  I purposely set up my FB account in a fake name, fake birthday, using a "throw away" email. 

Agreed.  I always give different answers to requests for information.  Latest was google demanding to know how old I was (probably something to do with kids online).  I am 113 years old.  My wife said nice dear you only look 100 LOL.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Facebook doesn't care about you personally. What they care about is selling your information to advertisers. If you have ever received an unwanted email, text, or advertisement on a website, it was most likely a result of Facebook and/or Google. Facebook and Google have stored every single word you have typed, every link you've clicked on, every video you've viewed, every photo you've posted... anything you have ever done on the Internet via them or one of their affiliates.

They are not looking for your bank account up front. They are looking for your marketing info. So even if you used a fake name, that fake name is still being tracked. They know where you are, every computer or phone you've ever signed in from, and Google knows everywhere you've ever been with your phone. You end up getting the ads and emails just like everyone else. Whether you care or not is on you. But there are millions and millions who didn't take care when they signed up, who posted hundreds or thousands of photos, who shared where they work, who their friends are, what music they listen to, what bank they use, what liquor store they go to, on and on ad nauseum.

One of the reasons you see fewer and fewer "security questions" is because billions of email and other accounts have been hacked, and the questions and answers were sold off, over the last few decades, linking "My mother's maiden name" to that account. And that information can be used in nefarious ways.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For some reason, when a person says they won't join Facebook, everyone seems to assume it because they don't want their personal information out there.

My reasons for not subscribing to Facebook are social, moral, and political. So signing up with a fake name has nothing to do with it.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Facebook doesn't care about you personally. What they care about is selling your information to advertisers. If you have ever received an unwanted email, text, or advertisement on a website, it was most likely a result of Facebook and/or Google. Facebook and Google have stored every single word you have typed, every link you've clicked on, every video you've viewed, every photo you've posted... anything you have ever done on the Internet via them or one of their affiliates.

They are not looking for your bank account up front. They are looking for your marketing info. So even if you used a fake name, that fake name is still being tracked. They know where you are, every computer or phone you've ever signed in from, and Google knows everywhere you've ever been with your phone. You end up getting the ads and emails just like everyone else. Whether you care or not is on you. But there are millions and millions who didn't take care when they signed up, who posted hundreds or thousands of photos, who shared where they work, who their friends are, what music they listen to, what bank they use, what liquor store they go to, on and on ad nauseum.

One of the reasons you see fewer and fewer "security questions" is because billions of accounts were hacked, and the questions and answers were sold off, over the last few decades, linking "My mother's maiden name" to that account. And that information can be used in nefarious ways.

Actually incorrect information costs marketeers money.  They don't like it.  I don't care what they think or do.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An interesting tool, but: In October 2020, following security disclosures by the Google Security Team, Privacy Badger changed its default behavior. While it would previously learn to block new trackers heuristically after installed, it now defaults to blocking only trackers it already knows from automated testing before release. While it can still be configured to learn heuristically, it is no longer the default option because it can be exploited by third-parties to fingerprint the user based on trackers it blocks.[9]"  Wikipedia.

So hackers have figured out how to use it to do exactly the opposite of its intended purpose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder way there always seems to be "the regulars" who seem to  digress from the main substance of the  original post to pontificate about their personal reasons for doing  or not doing..Facebook etc etc. If you don't like Harry's  message just work around the  alternative,  but please  don't  kill the messenger 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Harry gave us information, take it or leave it, everythng else is just talking for the sake of talking.. Mexicans communicate with Facebook and whatsapp  if you do not like it stay out of the loop and that is it. The government is not going to change so just forget it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The whys and wherefores of chatboards have never changed and are never going to change. You two coming on here to complain about it is no different from someone veering off on any other side track, except that your comments have nothing at all do do with the topic or the sidetracks. Again, I point out that there is a moderator spot open, so go for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, bmh said:

Harry gave us information, take it or leave it, everythng else is just talking for the sake of talking.. Mexicans communicate with Facebook and whatsapp  if you do not like it stay out of the loop and that is it. The government is not going to change so just forget it.

Back to the OP. Harry only gave us part of the information. As we are too far west. No one seems to give out information here. Many had been told to go to El Chante-even some handicaped people and the vaccinators did not show up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, slainte39 said:

It is so painfully obvious, what you say, that it is hard to read the complaining about Harry.

The complaining isn't really about Harry-it is about the lack of any information west of Ajijic.  We had gotten to rely on Harry but we should not have. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is no complaint with either Hector or Harry. The problem is with communications from the government level and the inefficiencies of the vaccine rollout. I highly suspect that nearly everyone who got vaccinated without proof had also given an e-mail address for communicating. In this day and age, an e-mail sent with an attachment would have been far more efficient and less aggravating. Lining up AGAIN and having to show all documentation AGAIN, is going back twenty years to petty bureaucratic authority. Enough already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty much seems to be a part of the culture, to over-indulge in pointless paperwork, sort of as a job-protection program. Does anyone have a link to that video of the Mexican woman fighting the paperwork bureaucracy and overwhelming the nasty desk clerk with copies and her own stapler?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Pretty much seems to be a part of the culture, to over-indulge in pointless paperwork, sort of as a job-protection program. Does anyone have a link to that video of the Mexican woman fighting the paperwork bureaucracy and overwhelming the nasty desk clerk with copies and her own stapler?

That video is from Spain, yet oft posted here.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL! Been there, done that. The funniest thing is trying to change the address on your car when the title is y/o (and/or) and they want your husband's signature... except he died but they are highly suspicious of the official death certificate. Sometimes you just can't win for trying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...