Chapala.com Webboard

Message from Expat Liaison Hector Espana

47 minutes ago, gringal said:

Dichosalocua was just MISquoted by Tingting.  The original post said "Do NOT" surrender, etc.

Ummmm...no. As dicosalocua said, she went back and edited what she had written, but before that happened, I had gone in to use the quote button to give an emoji via comment box since I'd run out regular emojis for the day. Double check before you accuse someone of misquoting. FWIW, I took her original posting to mean what she actually meant as opposed to what was written. Sheesh.

• Thanks 2

I'm among the hestitant. One, because these vaccines haven't been around long enough to know about any long term effects, two because what is available here at the present time, the Sinovac, may not be accepted for entry into Canada, or other places. I definitely wouldn't get the Astra-Zeneca.

Although I'm a total needle-phobe, I mean really, really phobic, I would get the Pfizer or Moderna if offered.

2 hours ago, Tingting said:

Ummmm...no. As dicosalocua said, she went back and edited what she had written, but before that happened, I had gone in to use the quote button to give an emoji via comment box since I'd run out regular emojis for the day. Double check before you accuse someone of misquoting. FWIW, I took her original posting to mean what she actually meant as opposed to what was written. Sheesh.

34 minutes ago, gringal said:

As of the timeline of my post, yours appeared to be a misquote.  Then, she corrected it after my post.  What's to get offended about?  "Sheesh" is right!🙃

Because your comment came across like a school kid telling the teacher that Johnny cheated. You're right, of course, that it was corrected after your post and after mine, but it was the tone of yours that got to me. Having said that, this isn't a hill that we need to fight over. Now back to our regularly scheduled squabbles over the vaccines, etc 😁

Just to wind this one up, since it looks like you took offence to my original post:  I try to avoid the squabbles on here, so how about taking my post as a simple statement of fact with NO TONE, okay?  And in fact, no "tone" was intended!  Peace.

In general, I've been on this board for years and I've never seen it so full of contentions arguments, general incivility and people getting upset as it is now.  Maybe it's the pandemic that's getting to people.  I hope it goes back to the way it used to be: a source of useful information we could share with our fellow Lakesiders.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, gringal said:

Just to wind this one up, since it looks like you took offence to my original post:  I try to avoid the squabbles on here, so how about taking my post as a simple statement of fact with NO TONE, okay?  And in fact, no "tone" was intended!  Peace.

In general, I've been on this board for years and I've never seen it so full of contentions arguments, general incivility and people getting upset as it is now.  Maybe it's the pandemic that's getting to people.  I hope it goes back to the way it used to be: a source of useful information we could share with our fellow Lakesiders.

Ain´t that the truth.  In this case make your "defense", throw in a "sheesh" and play moderator  back to "regularly scheduled squabbles"

A double SHEESH....😀

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Only people I approve have access to my facebook page. I have blocked the people that I  don't want on it which means I can't go on theirs either. There are many security options to choose from. I operate 2 private antiques groups that require approval by me to join. One has over 3200 members and fully half participate. So big deal if yer on some lists for commercial purposes. That ain't just facebook that does that so paranoia about it is a waste and detrimental to being a part of an interesting source  because BB  sees ya anyway from all sorts of directions including this board which yer on.

Heads up to those thinking they can outsmart Facebook....

THEY have millions of people and billions of dollars just dedicated to searching, detecting and grinding out information on YOU just from the small amount you have to disclose to get an account and what activity goes on there no matter how little. They then sell this to marketers and others with much being leaked and put into the hands of gangs and BAD GUYS who wake up each morning with only one thing on their minds "How can I use this information to EXTORT, STEAL and EMBEZZLE as much as I can today?" 

10 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I don't have ANY info on facebook except my name and there are others with my name. That's it. I use Facebook to read the local ads of restaurants and businesses' and info from the government. 

Your posting activity is on google. I searched ferret-chapala and a whole bunch came up.

1 minute ago, gringohombre said:

Heads up to those thinking they can outsmart Facebook....

THEY have millions of people and billions of dollars just dedicated to searching, detecting and grinding out information on YOU just from the small amount you have to disclose to get an account and what activity goes on there no matter how little. They then sell this to marketers and others with much being leaked and put into the hands of gangs and BAD GUYS who wake up each morning with only one thing on their minds "How can I use this information to EXTORT, STEAL and EMBEZZLE as much as I can today?" 

Get real! Gangs and bad guys????-SNORK!

38 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Your posting activity is on google. I searched ferret-chapala and a whole bunch came up.

You can only join Facebook using your or a REAL name. If you know my REAL name, have at it. But, as I previously said, there are others with my REAL name.

I believe people who leave their Facebook accounts wide open are subject to phone scams. "Hi, this is your nephew/niece/brother/sister/? "so and so". This was supposed to be a surprise visit but I'm in jail/have had a traffic accident/am stranded and need help. Please go the closest Oxxo/711/? and send me money."

Just now, Ferret said:

You can only join Facebook using your REAL name. If you know my REAL name, have at it. But, as I previously said, there are others with my REAL name.

My point was that one doesn't have to be on face book to be found. I spend more time on facebook than any other internet social media like forums that I belong to and nothing adverse has happened to me.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Only people I approve have access to my facebook page

And you have control of your Facebook page. Bisbee Gal's post is the best idea yet.

57 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

My FB page is not in my real name.  No one can follow, friend or message me.  I created a dummy email account before I set it up the FB account.  

13 minutes ago, Ferret said:

You can only join Facebook using your or a REAL name. If you know my REAL name, have at it. But, as I previously said, there are others with my REAL name.

That is not true.  I purposely set up my FB account in a fake name, fake birthday, using a "throw away" email.