Chapala.com Webboard

Should you mask up?

Sigh. Wear a mask or don't wear a mask BUT stay the hell away from me. There are a lot of EX medical personnel on these forums and this has been discussed ad nauseum in the past year. Things change, people change and even the CDC has changed their tune about mask wearing. Try and keep up.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Gladly.  The CDC changes its tune weekly, LOL.  If one thinks there is anything like complete consensus of the utility of these flimsy cloth masks being really effective, one may not be keeping up.  Distance is the #1 most effective hands down.  

I'll wear it when going into a store.  Otherwise, no.  Bad for my asthma and really unnecessary when you aren't around someone.  The silliest thing I see routinely is someone in a car alone wearing a mask.  I even saw some guy on a scooter, no helmet, wearing a mask.  LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Gladly.  The CDC changes its tune weekly, LOL.  If one thinks there is anything like complete consensus of the utility of these flimsy cloth masks being really effective, one may not be keeping up.  Distance is the #1 most effective hands down.  

I'll wear it when going into a store.  Otherwise, no.  Bad for my asthma and really unnecessary when you aren't around someone.  The silliest thing I see routinely is someone in a car alone wearing a mask.  I even saw some guy on a scooter, no helmet, wearing a mask.  LOL

Most smart and caring persons only wear them when near others and that also includes proper distancing. Unfortunately everyone is not smart and/or caring.

• Like 3

Exactly. Maybe the scooter rider doesn't like bugs in their face. Maybe the car driver was picking someone up and was respecting their passenger's health before they got into the car. Interestingly enough, wearing a mask also stops dust and the blooming jacaranda, both of which irritate my sinuses. YMMV. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

The silliest thing I see routinely is someone in a car alone wearing a mask.  I even saw some guy on a scooter, no helmet, wearing a mask. 

Those on a motorbike or those who like to drive with the windows down, are constantly assailed at red lights by some maskless vendor or beggar trying to talk in your face from 6 inches away. Try to think outside your own small box before making fun of people whose motives you have no knowledge of.

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

@dichosalocura     by the fact that states where lockdowns persisted in the spring and fall did not necessarily have better outcomes than Florida.

Bisbee Gal, that was an interesting article you posted.  I think the last sentence pretty much answered my question though.  So, according to Bisbee Gal's article it is now a fact that the states that kept up with the strict lock downs and mandated face mask wearing did not fair any better than the states that opened up fully and did away with face mask mandates.

• Sad 1

Mudgirl, I did get the jist of the under counting of the covid deaths in Florida and I also got the jist of the last paragraph.  And I have seen it repeated in many liberal news articles over the past few months.  They just are so surprised that when there are lockdowns and mandates and where there are none, the death toll remains closely the same.  And they are so determined to believe that lockdowns and face masks make all the difference when the numbers say otherwise.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

And they are so determined to believe that lockdowns and face masks make all the difference when the numbers say otherwise.

"They"- you mean "they" as in the vast majority of medical personnel and virus researchers worldwide? Who I suppose are all liberals?

Infectious disease prevention is a science, not a political issue. 

Masks and lockdowns work, as evidenced in many places in the world where the citizens actually comply and if they don't, they are forced to or face serious condequences.

It doesn't work in places where a high percentage of the population ignores the rules and there are no consequences for doing so. 

In other words, you can't compare the infection rate in US states that mandated masks and lockdowns with those that didn't, because in all the states with mandates, a large contingent of people refused to comply.

It's like comparing the health of children in households where the children are served no vegetables, only pizza pops and cookies, with a household where the parents serve healthy dinners every night, while ignoring the fact that in the healthy dinner family, the children don't eat that dinner they are served, but instead go eat pizza pops and cookies.

A comparative study would only tell you something worthwhile if you compared the pizza pop dinner household to one where the children were required to eat the healthy dinner.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

There is a village in south america where the whole town decided to wear masks.  They even wash the money before you get change.  Every stranger who comes into town is met by a nurse who takes persons temperature.   They have no people with the virus.    None zip.   Wear a mask.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2