Chapala.com Webboard

Maria Isabel closed

cafemediterraneo

Saw Maria Isabel was shuttered and looked inside, completely gutted of any tables or equipment.  Wonder what's next....This is one of the oldest sites in Ajijic, formerly called the old Posada.  When I first visited here in 1992 there was an old map framed on the wall that showed the original map of Axixque that started there and continued up Colon to the old church on the plaza, set up in the Spanish style.  At that time it was in a state called Nueva Avila and only accessible from across the lake.  I hope whatever new venture takes the building over will continue to respect its long history. ....

Those who have been here for many years will remember it as one of the few places to go with live music and dancing. It underwent numerous management changes over the past years with not much evening success the last 10 or so. It did manage to pick up a bit with breakfast/lunch outside through the various lake rises and drops, but I guess fewer tourists and Covid got in the way.

I think having the pier locked up and held onto by someone who has no intention of doing anything with it and no real right to it is a drag on the entire waterfront.   Any Mex citizens who go to a mayoral candidate forum I hope you will ask them what they intend to do about this, if anything.  

That restaurant IMO was just not sufficiently good and consistent to attract steady patronage like, for example Cocinart.  When Bobby left, and the Tequila Republic closed we just never had any reason to go down there except for the occasional walk.

There was some activity at the former Tequila Republic, just before Covid hit.  Off and on.  Mostly workmen cutting large boards on the malecon, then taking them inside (their floor had some weak spots, as I recall).  At one point they put up a huge fancy banner on the building in Spanish saying it would have 14 eateries within it....I imagined (hoped) it would be a food court similar to some upscale ones we have enjoyed in San Miguel de Allende and CDMX.  

Even though the food at Tequila Republic was mediocre, they had a few decent small plates (ceviche was good, as were some seafood tostadas) and we went often in summer for a drink and to watch the sunsets.  

• Like 1