Chapala.com Webboard

What's gone up substantially (pricewise) in recent years?

Quotas on freeways up about 12 percent thanks to AMLO after he campaigned and promised to eleminate them if elected. Instead he raised them every year which was never done before.

The cuota we use often to La Hausteca went from $120.00 to $162.00 pesos in just less than 2 1/2 years - just one of 3 casetas - the 2 others are under $85.00 pesos. It was completely resurfaced and painted  - painted the crap out of everything, even rocks, not just lines and added more guard rails in the last 3 years. Great job - like new now.

Taxis.

29 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

...he raised them every year which was never done before.

Excuse my ignorance, I was not aware he had that power. I thought they are all private toll roads operated by private companies.

• Like 1

I have been told that any medical equipment imported from the U.S. has drastically increased. Just the joint appliance for a hip replacement is now 70,000 pesos. Too many medical monopolies. A company will take on a U.S. brand in Mexico and the way the approvals work, the government has to buy from that supplier. Often many times more than what would be normally charged in the U.S. There may be kickbacks too, I know nothing about that.

Restaurant meals, while still reasonable by U.S. standards, have gone up a lot IMO.

Tolls are even more ridiculous than they used to be.

Gasoline and LP gas though changes in our systems have really controlled the latter.

SIMAPA charges.

Drugs and doctors

Rent for those who rent and not own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

It doesn't affect Canadians and Americans much because we're getting more pesos per dollar in the currency exchange.

It doesn't affect retired Canadians and Americans much. It definitely affects those of us who have businesses here and get paid in pesos.

I have the impression there aren't too many in that category Lakeside, but there are plenty in my area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

Excuse my ignorance, I was not aware he had that power. I thought they are all private toll roads operated by private companies.

https://www.transporte.mx/habra-nuevo-incremento-en-las-tarifas-de-autopistas-para-2021-conatram/

Google Translation:

"There will be a new increase in highway rates for 2021: Conatram

01/05/2021

As of this 2021, various sectors will be increasing their costs throughout the country.

Since last January 1, a 3.3% increase in the price of fuels (Magna gasoline, Premium and diesel) was announced, as well as soft drinks and tobacco. [federal tax increase not private]

In his morning conference, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador clarified that in real terms the above is not an increase, but an adjustment to inflation.

The current administration has said that these increases are necessary in accordance with inflation, since if not to do so then the rate should be lowered, and that was not the promise, but "they were not going to increase prices."

Highways will raise their rate [cuota]

Other items will also be affected by this adjustment. One of them will be the toll roads, as Elías Dip, National President of the National Confederation of Mexican Transporters, A.C. (CONATRAM).

During his participation in the XXIV Ordinary General Assembly of said organization, Dip announced to the transporters that a new increase is being cooked for the rates of the highways during the next months.

"This increase is unfair," declared Dip, who emphasized that, at the beginning of the current administration, they were promised to improve the conditions of the road network, through a maintenance scheme for federal roads and not only highways. , which are the obligation of concessionaires.

In February 2020, the prices of toll rates rose an average of 3% on the highways managed by Caminos y Puentes Federales (Capufe).

According to the Ministry of Communications and Transportation, SCT, the inflation update corresponded to the period from December 2018 to December 2019.

A possible increase in the toll would come after a particularly difficult year for toll roads in the country. The lower flow of vehicles was added to the taking of booths in different parts of the country.

Figures from the Mexican Association of Road Infrastructure Concessionaires (AMCIV) indicate that the loss between January and September 2020 due to the taking of booths on roads and highways amounted to 3.1 billion pesos.

So far, neither the SCT nor Capufe have issued an official statement on an increase in the rates of the country's highways."

SCT is the federal government's Secretary of Communications and Transportation.

1 minute ago, blankletmusic said:

How much is gallon of Magna gas? And what does it usually cost for an LP fill up for a standard-sized tank? Just curious.

Gasoline is sold by the litre in Mexico, not gallons. Hovering between about 19-20 pesos/litre in my area. I live in Nayarit. Across the state line in Puerto Vallarta,Jalisco it's always a little cheaper than in Nayarit.

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Rent for those who rent and not own.

Our rent has not increased for the past twelve years. There is much more skill to be a good tenant rather than a good landlord.

As far as decreased prices, people on the true off grid solar are saving a small fortune.

I could save even a lot more running used cooking oil through my diesel, but that seems a lot of work.

Why do people insist on the price instead of the value? I bet every single person here has a different story on how they spend their money and why.

1) I put 1500 pesos of gas in my car last year. Unusual year. Normally I put in 500 pesos every six to eight weeks. My 14 year old car just rolled past 51,000 km. Takeaway? Your vehicle lasts longer and everything is close.

2) FRESH, not frozen or irradiated, fruits and vegetables pack a more nutritious punch so you save on health costs.

3) An on demand water heater means you're not heating stored water but only heating what you need when you need it. My propane tank is only 180 litres in size and I fill it from 1/2 to full ONCE a year, in December. Propane pipe leaks are wasteful.

4) I have 5 Monocrystalline solar panels and haven't paid for any electricity since March of 2018.

5) I have both an aljibe and a tinaco. The water in the aljibe is emergency water only into which I chuck a couple of small chlorine tabs once a month. The tinaco fills on street pressure and I have a small booster pump on the roof to give pressure for the shower.

6) Communications are my biggest utility expense per month: Telcel 299 pesos, Telmex 599 pesos and iLox 500 pesos. Telcel and Telmex prices have not increased in five years.

How you spend your money and on what is the name of the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Gasoline is sold by the litre in Mexico, not gallons. Hovering between about 19-20 pesos/litre in my area. I live in Nayarit. Across the state line in Puerto Vallarta,Jalisco it's always a little cheaper than in Nayarit.

At 20 pesos to the USD that's $4 US/gallon. Between the tolls and the fuel costs extended road trips must be pretty costly.

15 minutes ago, blankletmusic said:

At 20 pesos to the USD that's $4 US/gallon. Between the tolls and the fuel costs extended road trips must be pretty costly.

Depends. Do you have a huge gas guzzling SUV or are you driving something comfortable but with great gas mileage. It's all about choices.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Our rent has not increased for the past twelve years. There is much more skill to be a good tenant rather than a good landlord.

As far as decreased prices, people on the true off grid solar are saving a small fortune.

I could save even a lot more running used cooking oil through my diesel, but that seems a lot of work.

On the rent you are unusual and fortunate.  We aren't off grid but make 100%+ of our consumption and definitely are fortunate.  Waiting for better batteries to go true off grid.