Chapala.com Webboard

Travel and Stateside vaccinations

We just flew back to the States to visit the grandkids and get vaccinated. Here's our experience and some tips:

We checked out various options for rapid antigen testing, and chose to use the clinic in the perking lot in front of Soriana for about 489 MXP each. You go into Soriana and go to the checkout, tell them what kind of test you want (for the States, you need the PCR or the antigen, not the antibody test). The antigen test is the cheapest and quickest. The checkout lady gives you a receipt, and you walk over to the clinic.The woman there has you fill out a simple form,and for the antigen test, she sticks the swab pretty far up one nostril (one time). That's it. She said the results would be emailed in 2 hours, but we had not received them at four hours, so we drove back and she printed a copy for us and sent them to us (not sure what the hold up was, probably just Mexico). We did this the afternoon before our flight.

For our flight, we had to process thru immigration as usual, then check in and show our ID papers, immigration form, negative Covid test, and an attestation form which is something you can download from your airline. Its just a form saying you had a negative test and you sign and date it. Also, while checking in, you have to access the Mexican government website on your phone and fill out the Covid survey (which has been the case for several months). You have to show this to the security people before going to your gate.

Once we got to the plane, no one on the US side asked for any paperwork wrt Covid; that responsibility is all on the airlines.

When looking for vaccinations stateside, I strongly recommend you access facebook and search for "vaccine hunters (state/city)" where you are going. Join the largest, most active community you find. I did so, and within 12 hours of arriving I had a confirmed appointment for a single-shot J&J vaccination, based on tips posted by my new vaccine-hunting Facebook friends!

Good luck!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NoVaDamer said:

Also, while checking in, you have to access the Mexican government website on your phone and fill out the Covid survey (which has been the case for several months). You have to show this to the security people before going to your gate.

You can also access this form online from home; after you fill it out at the site, you can capture the QR code to your phone.  If you don't have a phone you can print this form at home and bring it to the airport.  They also have blanks outside security for you to fill out before entry. 

Form HERE

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, NoVaDamer said:

We just flew back to the States to visit the grandkids and get vaccinated. Here's our experience and some tips:

We checked out various options for rapid antigen testing, and chose to use the clinic in the perking lot in front of Soriana for about 489 MXP each. You go into Soriana and go to the checkout, tell them what kind of test you want (for the States, you need the PCR or the antigen, not the antibody test). The antigen test is the cheapest and quickest. The checkout lady gives you a receipt, and you walk over to the clinic.The woman there has you fill out a simple form,and for the antigen test, she sticks the swab pretty far up one nostril (one time). That's it. She said the results would be emailed in 2 hours, but we had not received them at four hours, so we drove back and she printed a copy for us and sent them to us (not sure what the hold up was, probably just Mexico). We did this the afternoon before our flight.

For our flight, we had to process thru immigration as usual, then check in and show our ID papers, immigration form, negative Covid test, and an attestation form which is something you can download from your airline. Its just a form saying you had a negative test and you sign and date it. Also, while checking in, you have to access the Mexican government website on your phone and fill out the Covid survey (which has been the case for several months). You have to show this to the security people before going to your gate.

Once we got to the plane, no one on the US side asked for any paperwork wrt Covid; that responsibility is all on the airlines.

When looking for vaccinations stateside, I strongly recommend you access facebook and search for "vaccine hunters (state/city)" where you are going. Join the largest, most active community you find. I did so, and within 12 hours of arriving I had a confirmed appointment for a single-shot J&J vaccination, based on tips posted by my new vaccine-hunting Facebook friends!

Good luck!

I have read many things about which test the airlines will accept. I know they have different requirements. I also read that if your antigen test comes back negative you have to take the PCR test. Do you know if this is true? Or is that only if you have symptoms?

7 hours ago, gogirl said:

I have read many things about which test the airlines will accept. I know they have different requirements. I also read that if your antigen test comes back negative you have to take the PCR test. Do you know if this is true? Or is that only if you have symptoms?

To travel by air to the US, you need to show the airline a Negative Antigen Test, taken within the past 3 days.  The US will also accept a negative PCR test.

To travel by air to Canada, you need to show the airline a Negative PCR Test, taken within the past 3 days.  Canada will not accept an Antigen test.

The test must be done by a lab certified by the prevailing health authority in the Country you are departing from; to my knowledge all the local labs doing these tests are certified.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gogirl said:

Bisbee Gal has it exactly right! I was concerned about how to know whether the US would accept my local lab results. Some of you may have heard about how Hawaii has its own special list of which labs it will accept. The verification is done at the check in counter by the airlines agent. She didn't have a list of approved labs; she simply looked at our hardcopy form, found that is said antigen test and negative, then said ok and gave it back to us.

1 hour ago, NoVaDamer said:

Bisbee Gal has it exactly right! I was concerned about how to know whether the US would accept my local lab results. Some of you may have heard about how Hawaii has its own special list of which labs it will accept. The verification is done at the check in counter by the airlines agent. She didn't have a list of approved labs; she simply looked at our hardcopy form, found that is said antigen test and negative, then said ok and gave it back to us.

It is the airline that is responsible to verify the test. 

Just understand that there may be a long waiting period between the time you sign up and when you can get your vaccine shots. I don't know how it is in California, but in WA State, I had to wait more than two months from the time I signed up and the time I could get my first shot. Now I am hold for another three weeks before I get my second vaccine shot.

My suggestion would be for you to sign up to get your vaccine shots on line and that you drive north based on when you can get those shots.

38 minutes ago, johanson said:

Just understand that there may be a long waiting period between the time you sign up and when you can get your vaccine shots. I don't know how it is in California, but in WA State, I had to wait more than two months from the time I signed up and the time I could get my first shot. Now I am hold for another three weeks before I get my second vaccine shot.

My suggestion would be for you to sign up to get your vaccine shots on line and that you drive north based on when you can get those shots.

Thanks for your suggestion but our options are New York or Philadelphia. We find that to be a difficult drive. Plus too many hotels where we can be exposed.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

But do I recall that you MISSED your chance to get it more quickly by not responding in a 'timely' manner? Only after that was it a long wait?

Contrast your experience to mine in Colorado.... 70+ my Health provider sent me a email/signup opportunity  in late January. Got the shot 2 days later and 2nd one 3 weeks after that.  Similar for wife.    My 50+ YO daughter/husband get theirs in this Sunday (3/28) AND my 45 YO son got his first early this week as he is classified as essential... 'in agriculture'.  

My point is that all states are not created equally it appears.

P.S.  I'm in Arizona as we speak and there are drive through shot facilities ALL OVER THE PLACE... In Tucson and similar east of Phoenix. 

2 hours ago, RickS said:

But do I recall that you MISSED your chance to get it more quickly by not responding in a 'timely' manner? Only after that was it a long wait?

Contrast your experience to mine in Colorado.... 70+ my Health provider sent me a email/signup opportunity  in late January. Got the shot 2 days later and 2nd one 3 weeks after that.  Similar for wife.    My 50+ YO daughter/husband get theirs in this Sunday (3/28) AND my 45 YO son got his first early this week as he is classified as essential... 'in agriculture'.  

My point is that all states are not created equally it appears.

P.S.  I'm in Arizona as we speak and there are drive through shot facilities ALL OVER THE PLACE... In Tucson and similar east of Phoenix. 

In my case, our governor announced on a Sunday that one could sign up and get their vaccine shot as of the following Monday. I waited until Tuesday to make my reservations, if I remember correctly. And because I did not immediately sign up, I had to wait several months longer than if I had signed up the previous morning.

It varies by state and your age. I simply wanted to warn folks that there could be a long waiting line if you do not sign up ASAP. And yes, it varies by location.

It pays to be old in New Mexico. Got my first Moderna injection Jan 16th. Only Alaska is ahead in distribution rate per Fox News. Local hospital actually called me yesterday wanting to know if I needed the vaccine. After many years of being a snowbird will become a full time Mexico resident in Nov. Received much better treatment at Villa Nova clinic for my knee arthritis and calve  peripheral neuropathy at a price less than my deductible in the US.