Chapala.com Webboard

Refund Tourist Tax from AeroMexico

Has anyone with Residente Permanente gotten a refund of these fees?  I have done what their site says to do, send email with attached copies of our residency cards. But no response and it's been well over a month.

United and American airlines have always refunded these fees promptly.  We ended up on AeroMexico at last minute when Houston was shutdown due to weather conditions.  

This may not help yu this time, but perhaps in the future. I rarely find good customer service at AeroMexico. I recently cancelled a flight and they gave me an eCredit only good  until the end of the year. Anyway, I try to schedule most of my AeroMexico flights via Delta (their partner) and Delta is good at refunding the tourist tax.

• Thanks 1

We had United reservations; after we arrived at GDL we were told that IAH would close before we could make our connection there. 

We ran to Delta counter since they had a flight out within a few hours (and not to TX where weather was bad at DFW, too), but they directed us to the AeroMexico kiosk for bookings.  

I book all our flights online or via mobile app normally.  

3 hours ago, Floradude said:

One of the advantages of booking your ticket the old fashioned way...  With a travel agent.  I always remind her not to charge me for the tourist tax. 

Usually flights are quite a bit more expensive when booked through a travel agent, as compared to doing it yourself online

10 hours ago, NoVaDamer said:

This may not help yu this time, but perhaps in the future. I rarely find good customer service at AeroMexico. I recently cancelled a flight and they gave me an eCredit only good  until the end of the year. Anyway, I try to schedule most of my AeroMexico flights via Delta (their partner) and Delta is good at refunding the tourist tax.

I have had my e credit extended twice already. Maybe you can ask. How do you go about having the tourist tax refunded?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gogirl said:

I have had my e credit extended twice already. Maybe you can ask. How do you go about having the tourist tax refunded?

Thanks; I'll try that!

For the refund, there are two options. One is to go ahead and fly, then afterward go on the airline website, search for customer service, and submit a request for refund of the tourist tax. It takes some time and aggravation, but generally works.

I fly Delta all the time, so I went one step further. I contacted Delta and had then change my place of residence (in their database) to Mexico, so I automatically don't pay the tourist tax when I book with them. This was a drill which required sending them a photo of my permanente, but was worth it. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

United is quickest to refund, usually 3 days to process via their online refund page.  American was slower as their refund page isn't prepared to handle it and I had to send a refund request via email; took about 10 days.

In each case you upload or attach a photo of your residence card.  The refund is in the form of a credit to the credit card you used when booking.  

• Thanks 1