Chapala.com Webboard

EL TORITO MEAT COUNTER -IGNORANCE OF COVID-19 PROTOCOLS

Carnivore

We've shopped at El Torito continuously since 1997.  Today, I went into the store solely intending to buy cold luncheon meat for sandwiches.  On looking at the glass enclosed meat display case, at the end closest to the front of the store, I noticed that the roll of Queso de Puerco was new and hadn't been opened.  As it's one of our long term favourite cold meats (in Mexico) for sandwiches, I looked very forward to being able to have our order sliced from a brand new, previously unopened roll.  A younger butcher approached and I ordered 300grms sliced.

As he began to struggle with opening the package (picture a role of bologna) which was tightly encased in a plastic sleeve I couldn't help but notice that he wasn't wearing gloves.  He seemed to really struggle with cutting the metal seal off the one end of the roll and then as he peeled back the plastic wrap. In the process, his hands were continually all over the meat as it became exposed.  I spoke out to get his attention and indicated by pointing at my hands and then his that he put on gloves.  His immediate response: "My hands are clean".  I told him that it was impossible for me to know that, and asked the he put gloves on.  He did, one hand only and made it very apparent from his mannerism that he wasn't pleased.  He began to slice the meat but didn't ask me anything about thickness.  I moved more to the left so that I could see what he was actually slicing and noticed that the mask he had been wearing had dropped down to barely covering his mouth (but not his nose at all). His face was less than 12 inches from the meat he was slicing! I again interrupted him.  He had already spoken to me in pretty passable English so I knew there wasn't a language problem. I asked him to put his mask on properly and told him that if I had to wear a mask, so did he.  He turned around to face me but simply ignored my request (as if he hadn't heard me) and continued to slice the meat.

I loudly told him that I would not accept the meat, and why,  and left the store.  On leaving, I also told the man who controlled entry into the store (hand sanitizer application) why I was leaving.  Hopefully something will "filter through" to management. 

I would hope that if anyone else encounters a similar situation in El Torito (or any other store)  they clearly make it known that it is totally unacceptable.  I don't feel that after a full year of maintaining a very careful lifestyle that my wife and I want to see it all undone by an ignorant and uncaring employee who hasn't been trained and isn't being supervised.

• Like 2

And also has an "attitude". Which obviously isn't "The customer is always right".

Of course, some customers can behave pretty obnoxiously, so assuming you weren't, I can relate to your irritation. I've walked out of many stores for the same basic reason. But talking to the guy holding the hand sanitizer at the door is pointless. Employees don't rat on each other. You have to talk to the manager/ owner.