Chapala.com Webboard

Toll prepay to Veracruz ?

Since things are always changing, I thought I would ask again.  I need to drive to Orizaba Veracruz next week. Can I prepay the tolls for this trip by buying a  pass or "key" at Oxxo ?  How does this pass work ? Is it based on balance or is it time based ?

Thanks 

We have a "Pase" toll tag that you can get at Oxxo and also put money on it.  Once you have it, it has a number on it that can be used to monitor both your additions of toll prepay and the deductions as you travel.  I am told it works pretty much everywhere in the central part of the country.  It did not work in Chihuahua for us, the last time it was accepted going north was on the toll bypass around Torreon.  Have not used this one in centro but our friends have one and they have.

Lots of information here:  https://www.pase.com.mx/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

We have a "Pase" toll tag that you can get at Oxxo and also put money on it.  Once you have it, it has a number on it that can be used to monitor both your additions of toll prepay and the deductions as you travel.  I am told it works pretty much everywhere in the central part of the country.  It did not work in Chihuahua for us, the last time it was accepted going north was on the toll bypass around Torreon.  Have not used this one in centro but our friends have one and they have.

Lots of information here:  https://www.pase.com.mx/

So many times there are lanes for these electronic passes, what happens if you enter one of these lanes and it doesn't accept it ? Are those lanes also attended so you have a way to pay cash or something or are you forced to make the people behind you backup to let you out of the lane ?

• Like 1

Eric, don't sweat it. Just go and enjoy. You will soon be eating a cuisine far superior in every way to here. Be sure to visit Fortin da las Flores while there, a small city about 15 km east of Orizaba. You might get to see La Bestia pass and witness the local folks pass food to the migrants on top, even while it is moving.

For a while I was binge watching videos of train jumpers or freight hoppers on youtube...covid time lol

The video of the "train of death" in Mexico is a good one, really feels like you are riding along. 

1 hour ago, ea93105 said:

So many times there are lanes for these electronic passes, what happens if you enter one of these lanes and it doesn't accept it ? Are those lanes also attended so you have a way to pay cash or something or are you forced to make the people behind you backup to let you out of the lane ?

On the toll plazas where it was accepted it seemed that most of the manned booths had sensors for it and we used those in case it didn't work.  Otherwise you are stuck with backing out if it is an unattended lane solely for Pase.  I've seen even trucks backing out of those so we avoid them.

This system is far from foolproof here, not like the ones up north.  Have cash ready in case you need it.

Last time I came back from Chiapas  bought PASE in Minamitlan , it was accepted in most of the casetas except the ones in Puebla if I remember correctly so I just paid cash at the one ones that dd not accept them. I thnk there were two or 3 that turned me down.

Although the map suggests Torreon to Chihuahua to Juarez it does not say that in the legend and our last trip I was told Chihuahua has their own and will not accept Pasa.  This was true from the last toll booth on the north side of Torreon all the way to the border, even including the short cuota to Santa Teresa.