Chapala.com Webboard

Flying Rib Eye

rafterbr

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

You almost won the lottery!  Prime Rib is goose,  Flying rib eye is Sand Crane which is rated the best water fowl eating there is.  Hunters spend thousands of dollars in search of them.  In the panhandle of Oklahoma is a resting place for them on their way to Mexico.  You are allowed a 3 bag limit each day and a $3 federal stamp is required.  They eat anything but especially like grains and the wheat fields of the panhandle is made to order for them.  There are hunting lodges for them at Zacatecas, Mexico.  Fortunately I have a rancher friend in the Panhandle who allows me to hunt on his wheat farm.  Does not taste like duck or goose at all more like a pheasant cross with pork.  Hard to describe but delicious. Kind of depends on how it is cooked.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RickS said:

This is coming from a guy who has shot/killed a lot of game in his life.... just not in the latter half.  BUT, somehow I just can't wrap my mind around killing a sandhill crane.   

Here I am waiting for them in a field north of Regina in 1978 but they never got close enough for me to shoot. My one and only chance.

17.jpg

55 minutes ago, RickS said:

This is coming from a guy who has shot/killed a lot of game in his life.... just not in the latter half.  BUT, somehow I just can't wrap my mind around killing a sandhill crane.   

I agree with you, about decided not to shoot anymore but the meat is really good!