Chapala.com Webboard

GOOD INFO ABOUT SINOVAC

ezpz

Many of us have been a little wary of the Chinese Sinovac which we are getting here in the Chapala area.  I had my jab last Thursday (in a record? 4.5 hours!), ate a sandwich there and later that night came down with the runs.  So the next day I went to Dr. Rodriguez at The Clinic and he told me he thought Sinovac was actually the best choice, if you are looking ahead at the variants coming our way.  Always best to look ahead in iffy situations.  He said Sinovac would be more effective with the 3 new variants because the Chinese have the original "mother/father" covid cel in their vaccine and that it will be more effective than the "older" versions.  We all know how viruses can and do mutate.  A 90-yr.-old woman in NYC with no travel history was just found to have the Brazilian variant.  That means it's already in the population, who knows about here?  Take good care!

I googled it and found this:

https://agenciabrasil.ebc.com.br/en/saude/noticia/2021-03/studies-show-coronavac-efficient-against-three-coronavirus-variants

• Like 2

Then, there's this saying that Sinovac is ineffective against some variants. 

It's a crapshoot.  No one really knows what will be the best in the long run.  And we are in this for the long run.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccine-sinovac-idUSKBN2AX0KK

MARCH 5, 2021

BEIJING (Reuters) - Sinovac Biotech’s COVID-19 vaccine may not trigger sufficient antibody responses against a new variant identified in Brazil, a small-sample lab study showed.

The emergence of variants of the new coronavirus has raised concern that vaccines and treatments that were developed based on previous strains may not work as robustly.

Plasma samples taken from eight people vaccinated with Sinovac’s CoronaVac failed to efficiently neutralize the P.1 lineage variant, or 20J/501Y.V3, researchers said in a paper published on Monday ahead of peer-review.

“These results suggest that P.1 virus might escape from neutralizing antibodies induced by... CoronaVac,” researchers at the University of São Paulo in Brazil, Washington University School of Medicine in the United States, and a few other institutions said in the paper.

A Sinovac spokesman was not immediately available for comment.

18 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I want a vaccine that is approved and recognized by countries I want to visit. The Chinese does not offer that.

If you are going to stay in Mexico, then it doesn't matter.

According to covid19.trackvaccines.org, five different vaccines have been approved for use in Mexico.  

Source:
https://covid19.trackvaccines.org/country/mexico/

Cov1.thumb.jpg.a93d698c156b1e3bfb3a848dd695c185.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmh said:

J & J with one shot only would be really helpful in Mexico

That is the one I am hoping for. Old school technology(?). I had the covid virus and have antibodies, so I'm assuming that I am somewhat immune. Research on the other SARS virus has shown people who recovered still have immunity 17 years later.

19 hours ago, artsnob said:

Does anyone know when the next round of vaccinations will be?  

When they announce them most of us will quickly know. Mine is scheduled for April 7th but it could change.

7 minutes ago, RickS said:

What is the significance of the "Philippine FDA"?

I want to go to the Philippines. I rather be sure I will get the correct documentation. Notice, my choice would have been J&J but it isn't even on their list.

26 minutes ago, johanson said:

When you go to the Philippines, you will be happily surprised to see how close their language is to Spanish. In fact they count in Spanish.

The country has over 100 languages. What you are saying is about the similarities of some words in Filipino aka Tagalog, one of two national languages. The language of Zamboanga is very similar to Spanish except they don't us the same conjugations. My experiences of the Philippines are more than YouTube videos.

PS, Wikipedia says, "There are some 120 to 187 languages spoken in the Philippines, depending on the method of classification." This is not surprising because the nation has over 7,400 inhabited islands.

• Like 1

The only traffic I know of is in coconuts. I forget how long ago the nation has been closed to foreigners even though tourism is a major industry there. Right now 220 Chinese ships are parked just off Palawan and there may soon be a conflict.

1 minute ago, slainte39 said:

I was speaking about over the years since they were granted independence from US colonial rule.

The past is only prologue. Their attitudes about us has changed since we were thrown out of Subic Bay and Mt. Pinatubo destroyed Clark Air Base. They really get most tourists from Korea and China, but even they are excluded. 

12 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

The country has over 100 languages. What you are saying is about the similarities of some words in Filipino aka Tagalog, one of two national languages. The language of Zamboanga is very similar to Spanish except they don't us the same conjugations. My experiences of the Philippines are more than YouTube videos.

PS, Wikipedia says, "There are some 120 to 187 languages spoken in the Philippines, depending on the method of classification." This is not surprising because the nation has over 7,400 inhabited islands.

I have only been to Manila and am not familiar with other parts of the Philippines. What I understand is based upon the Microsoft Bing search engine. Here is what it says

What is the official language of the Phillipines?
Filipino (formerly Pilipino) is based on Tagalog and is the official language of the Philippines. In spite of being the national language, only about 55 percent of Filipinos speak the language.
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, johanson said:

When you go to the Philippines, you will be happily surprised to see how close their language is to Spanish. In fact they count in Spanish.

Since they were a Spanish posession for many years, this is not surprising. 

Mexico ordered a combination of 20,000,000 Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines from China and 22,000,000 Sputnik V from Russia. 5.4 million Pfizer. I would imagine these threads about makes of  vaccines and vaccination rollouts are important.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

I have only been to Manila and am not familiar with other parts of the Philippines. What I understand is based upon the Microsoft Bing search engine. Here is what it says

What is the official language of the Phillipines?
Filipino (formerly Pilipino) is based on Tagalog and is the official language of the Philippines. In spite of being the national language, only about 55 percent of Filipinos speak the language.

Doesn't their federal government use English?

"The 1987 Constitution declares Filipino as the national language of the country. Filipino and English are the official languages, with the recognition of the regional languages as auxiliary official in their respective regions (though not specifying any particular languages).
Regiones: Aklanon; Central Bikol; Cebuano; Chavacano; Hiligaynon; Ibanag; Ilocano; ...
Firmado: Filipino Sign Language
Funcionarios: Filipino, English
Nación: Filipino
image.png.a00804bba875d2ae43e3ec5398bf3302.png
en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki › Langua...

I just know what I was told by locals, when I was last in the Philippines in about 1983 or so, and what Mr. Google tells me. And I am not an expert about the Philippines or their official language/s.

Yes, I speak a few words of Tagalog. But it was a long time ago when I was last there.