Chapala.com Webboard

USA Unloads AstraZeneca Vaccine on Mexico

The AstraZeneca Vaccine has never been approved in USA and it probably won't be.  The USA has provided 2.5 million doses to Mexico and 1.5 million doses to Canada.  One of the fastest spreading Covid variant is the South Africa one.  The AstraZeneca vaccine has proven to only be 10% effective against it.  They say 20% but you are 10% if you don't take any vaccine, so this vaccine only adds 10%.  I am surprised Europe is still using it but I guess they have no choice.  This is the only vaccine available and it does help with the common Covid. 

11 hours ago, rafterbr said:

The AstraZeneca Vaccine has never been approved in USA and it probably won't be.  The USA has provided 2.5 million doses to Mexico and 1.5 million doses to Canada.  One of the fastest spreading Covid variant is the South Africa one.  The AstraZeneca vaccine has proven to only be 10% effective against it.  They say 20% but you are 10% if you don't take any vaccine, so this vaccine only adds 10%.  I am surprised Europe is still using it but I guess they have no choice.  This is the only vaccine available and it does help with the common Covid. 

Europe has all kinds of Big Pharma in Germany and France in particular. Why did they not produce a vaccine? What is their excuse? Now the EU is in dire straits and whining that the US is hoarding the vaccine for it's own population. Well, DUH, yeah!

7 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Europe has all kinds of Big Pharma in Germany and France in particular. Why did they not produce a vaccine? What is their excuse? Now the EU is in dire straits and whining that the US is hoarding the vaccine for it's own population. Well, DUH, yeah!

Not quite;

"Previously Pfizer said the vaccine will be produced in BioNTech’s German manufacturing sites, as well as in Pfizer’s manufacturing site in Belgium for European countries."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13154699/who-owns-pfizer-where-company-based/

55 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Not really their fault. Government bureaucracy makes it massively difficult to produce and approve a vaccine, is what I read. And a lack of government interest in procuring same and making deals. The same sloth that is preventing a reasonable rollout of existing vaccines. Plus, BioNTech is a German company and certainly part of the EU, and so is Sweden, with AstraZeneca.

17 hours ago, rafterbr said:

The bigger and now proven issue is the blood clotting issues with the Astra Zeneca.    Yes, perhaps 1 death in a million doses so far from the data (25 deaths from the blood clotting or hemmorages in 20 million doses equals that rate, approximately).....but who wants to be that 1?      Especially when it has happened to previously healthy 50 year olds?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Whipstock said:

Not quite;

"Previously Pfizer said the vaccine will be produced in BioNTech’s German manufacturing sites, as well as in Pfizer’s manufacturing site in Belgium for European countries."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13154699/who-owns-pfizer-where-company-based/

Well you make my point. If produced in Europe why didn't they sign a contract for the product? Did Operation Warp Speed provide a better deal for the companies? What the EU needs to do is nationalize those Big Pharma companies, put in government workers and planners so as to not have to rely on private industry. There, problem solved...right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

The bigger and now proven issue is the blood clotting issues with the Astra Zeneca.    Yes, perhaps 1 death in a million doses so far from the data (25 deaths from the blood clotting or hemmorages in 20 million doses equals that rate, approximately).....but who wants to be that 1?      Especially when it has happened to previously healthy 50 year olds?

Similar things happen with every vaccine or for that matter every medical procedure. Staying away from doctors and vaccines will ensure you don't die from that cause.

16 hours ago, MtnMama said:

From everything I have read, I'll take the AZ over most of Mexico's other options given the choice. It has been approved by WHO and EU.

There's new and not good info out today on the A-Z, check it.     Yes, small probabilities....however, the WHO has lost almost all credibility in the view of much of the world.

4 hours ago, virgo lady said:

But hasn't it been shown to be less than the general public probability?  Just sitting around is worse than shown with the A-Z vaccine?  Am I missing something in this analysis?

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Am I missing something in this analysis?

Yes, you are missing something....many things........read the details behind the "data".     They are purposefully misleading the public by comparing % of blood clots overall in the population, to the % from those being vaccinated.    But.....Are they ignoring that the ones happening to those vaccinated are in people who are on average, much younger?    Are they ignoring that it happens in a short time period after getting the vaccine in otherwise healthy people up to that point?    And are they ignoring that much of these clotting cases have been deemed by medical experts to be "extremely strange" types of clots and platelet forms?     

Wow.     I totally support vaccination but there are some real issues with how this AZ info and issue is being stage managed IMHO.

• Like 2

The articles I have read said there is no established link between AZ and a very rare type of blood clot in the brain. Sometimes you need to check multiple sources

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56447367

https://phastar.com/blog/264-let-the-data-do-the-talking-discussing-the-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-and-blood-clot-concerns

6 hours ago, virgo lady said:

That report is from last Friday, a week ago, and updated today. Since then Canada (Thursday: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/benefits-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-outweigh-risks-health-canada-says-after-european-review-1.5353062) has said they are using it. And the EU is backing it again. And yes, as someone said, you are more likely to die sitting around (typing on your computer grasping at straws).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Sometimes you need to check multiple sources

None of these "multiple sources" are giving the full picture  (age, health conditions) of the people who got the severe clotting issues and deaths vs those in the "control group" ie:  general population.      Not buying it.     I agree the incidence is small but that doesn't mean there isn't a real issue here.      

• Like 2

2 hours ago, virgo lady said:

None of these "multiple sources" are giving the full picture  (age, health conditions) of the people who got the severe clotting issues and deaths vs those in the "control group" ie:  general population.      Not buying it.     I agree the incidence is small but that doesn't mean there isn't a real issue here.      

Two patients. Out of millions.

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Yes, we all will/need to make up our own minds about it.  Your decision is right for you and I respect that.

I respect everyone's rights to do what they will, but I don't cotton to the spread of innacurate and misleading reports. Like the alcohol thing: completely debunked.

• Thanks 1