Chapala.com Webboard

Crispy norteno taco shells

geeser

I have a hankering for some crispy tacos and need to find shells. These are fried corn masa shells and they are not Mexican, but rather more Texican.Have you seen them in any of the groceries that cater to gringos? We eat lots of soft flour tacos here but just wanting a change.

24 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

We have this fancy baking rack, nickel plated, you put the corn tortillas in a rack, spray with cooking oil, then bake them in the oven. I kept hanging on to it in case someone wanted to throw a 70's potluck party. Taco Night! Would sell it.

Thanks Chiillin, I've  had one of those racks for 7+ years, but the directions said to immerse the folded corn tortillas in deep oil. well we're bit about to do that much oil. It has set unused for many years. I will try the spray and oven. Have you used yours? If successful what temp?  

22 hours ago, geeser said:

Thanks Chiillin, I've  had one of those racks for 7+ years, but the directions said to immerse the folded corn tortillas in deep oil. well we're bit about to do that much oil. It has set unused for many years. I will try the spray and oven. Have you used yours? If successful what temp?  

I am not the one who bought it. But everytime it comes time to throw it out, I ask to keep it. I still think a 70's Taco Night, with 70's clothing, music, would be great fun, and inexpensive. I can't imagine the one we have dunking in oil. You would need a fish fry vat, and even then all that steel would cool the oil. So I am assuming is bake at 350 till crisp. Have made the Taco Bell crunch wrap. A crispy tostada, sprinkled with cheese, then covered and wrapped with a flour tortilla, has to be the right size, then skilleted until the cheese melts. Serve before the tostada gets soft. Use lard, go ahead, once per month is O.K.

Those premade hard tacos seem like overpriced, over packaged, and stale.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a52078/crunchwrap-supreme-recipe/

You could opt for what the locals buy---tostadas, and make a horizontal taco 🌮

There are numerous brands and varieties, different thicknesses, flavors and ingredients.  

Our fave is Tostalinaz brand with varieties made from Nopal, Linseed, Chia, etc. 

They are super thin but sturdy enough to carry a good deal of toppings.